uniqs
share rss forum feed

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5

Are these artifacts and a sign of a dieing card?

Guys, for the last few weeks I've noticed on my desktop, with GTS 450 video card, that individual pixels are flickering a light blue color. I don't think it is the monitor, because when I move the image on the screen, the flickering pixels move. I only see it in dark screens.

I just tested Portal 2 and I can see the sparkles in it also, but other than that, the graphics acceleration seems fine.

I use my graphics care specifically because I fold proteins.
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

kvn864

join:2001-12-18
Sun City, AZ
kudos:1

Perhaps overheating issue? Does it have a fan, does it spin. Folding I would think stresses GPU as well as CPU, over time it might have been overheating.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

1 edit

Yeah, I checked temps, the GPU is at 99% (oops, not 99 degrees, it's at 74 degrees when folding). Time to open the case and blow things out!

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
reply to signmeuptoo

Ok, BIL has air compressor so I'll blow it out this weekend, suspend heavy use until them.

Thing is, I read on several sites that 74 degrees under full/heavy load is normal? And the CPU is no more than 55 degrees (Phenom II 955 Deneb) so they aren't overheating.

But my screen flashes occasionally as though a driver is installing or something. Doesn't happen unless a browser or other window is open.

I wonder if my video card is just getting flaky. I can't afford another card right now, it will be 5 months before I can save for one, I've got some major things hanging over my head until then. Video card is a GTS 450 and using latest driver, just updated it in fact, to see if that would change things.

I don't see the speckles in everything, only in certain things, and the flashing speckles remain the same ones except they follow the moving of the window, so they aren't the monitor. The speckles are usually cyan in color. I see them, for instance, when I start Portal 2 and sit at the menu screen, and they follow the curves of images.

I bought this card last summer on refurb, so no warranty. I have an old 7950 GT if needs be if it fails, though I don't know if the 7950 GT is still supported, certainly not for folding.

I wonder if my video RAM is the issue?

In any event, I will have to wait to see if it fails.

Is there any diagnostic that I can run, in the mean time?
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:3

Imho most cards should never get over 80c ever, and can become permanently damaged at this point. Your screens should not be going black for no reason, and yes this can happen when they over heat.

Get a can of air from the store, spray as close to the gpu as you can without danger of the possible freezing some cans of air might do, but many cards might make this hard with a plastic guard. Check the airflow of the case, maybe installing a case fan in the back/side/top to exhaust.

I had a card running about 20c cooler by just cleaning the dust off the gpu, so I take it you have airflow, and dust issues, if your gpu fan didn't stop working already.

I'd stop folding at this point anyway with this card.
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

Ok, while only viewing with browser, otherwise idle, GPU is 35-38 and CPU is 36-38. Screen still goes black and comes back occasionally.

I ran Furmark and the screen didn't go black in response to it, and temps got up to about 77.

I am starting to think the problem might be a driver or OS issue, since I very recently installed Win 8.

On my day off I will install SuSE and see if the problem still occurs. In fact, maybe I should run the Live DVD version I have. Obviously this would be PRE driver install.

Or could it be an infection of some sort?
--

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium

Why would it be an infection? You saw the temp at 99c right? I've seen this before, a card is/was over temp, and started malfunctioning.

Windows does some passive gpu acceleration, and also so do many browsers these days. Software like flash also defaults to gpu acceleration.

You already likely damaged the card, but maybe it won't be as bad if you just get that can of air from the store to clean off the gpu/heatsink asap after you let it cool down first.
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

No, temps never reached above 75 and now 77 with burn in test. I made a mistake of posting the 99 because that was the % of use of the card while folding.

I suspect something else is happening with this system. If it was the card, wouldn't running furmark make it instantly bork, or react in some way?

I think I've got some other issue, maybe software of some sort.

I'll try booting to a live disk now and see what happens...
--

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium

Any problems that are going to occur will likely be from usage of the gpu after already being damaged, or overheating. I don't like to see the gpu over 70c personally, but this can vary per card on their safe range however usually not very much. 80c is generally considered too high, and you just said they were over 70, almost 80, so in the danger range. Spend the couple bucks it takes, and get the can of air now. Clean off the cpu heatsink while your at it if you haven't done that in a long time also, and make sure the vents for your fans are clear, not clogged up.
--

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

1 edit

Yes.

I ran the live disk and the sparkles showed up there as well.

EDIT: I found a can of spray, but it didn't remove some of the dust. This weekend when I go over to my sisters, I'll use my BIL's air compressor.

I've turned off my CPU overclock.

I'll see how it goes.

Gonna take a break from clocking and folding.

kvn864

join:2001-12-18
Sun City, AZ
kudos:1

Could also be some damage to a GPU chip from continued folding over time. I had old x1800xt card (ATI) with after-market cooling solution in my daughters gaming PC years ago, she played hours and hours (years) of CS:Source on it. Then card developed similar symptoms, it did fine in 2D though. Temperature-wise you are ok, graphics chips are made by design to run hotter, even 90C is not a big problem for them, afaik, and considered acceptable. GPU might have just simply exhausted its lifespan, hope it is not the case, but it happens. Good luck.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

Well, I hope I can increase my work hours so I can afford a new card. I bought this refurbished last summer, I suppose I've got my money out of it at least.

This weekend when my BIL can come here and get me, we'll blow it out.

System is acting a little better with the little I cleared it out and turned off the overclock of the CPU.

I can live with the sparkles for now. I just want it to last long enough to be replaced, which will take several months.
--

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium

I'd say that if the artifacts don't stop, then you shouldn't push the card anytime soon, and go back to your old card if it doesn't have similar problems.

My gpus don't go above the 60's in Celsius on a prolonged full gpu load, and they are nvidia also.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

Well, even though I needed to get to bed at 9, I stayed up and put the old card in. No more artifacts, so it is the GTS 450 that is defective.

When it was new it reached 70 something, and several sites claim that the mid 70's is normal.

I suppose the card is either defective, or not robust enough to tolerate folding. In any event, I will try to get it exchanged.
--

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11

Best product that pays for itself for cleaning dust out of computers.
»www.tigerdirect.com/applications···tId=7094

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA
reply to signmeuptoo

In my experience, GPU temperatures in the 70 to 80 C range (under load) are very common. It sounds like it's just dying.

A few years ago, a friend had a GeForce 6800 XT with a clogged heatsink and a nearly-seized fan. It was idling at over 100 C and got up to nearly 120 under moderate load. It would artifact and reboot the PC after 15-20 minutes of WoW.

I cleaned the heatsink and oiled the fan to get it limping along until a replacement heatsink came in (Zalman VF-900). With the new heatsink on, the temperature under load dropped to about 57 C. Last I heard, the card still worked.
--
KI6RIT