Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

Are LED light bulbs OK in this fixture

Click for full size
New Fixture
Click for full size
Old Fixture
I just replaced my security light on my back porch after the motion detector quit working. The new fixture is a HeathZenith with DualBright, Bulb Saver, and Alert Flash. If I recall correctly, I think the LED bulbs are dimmable (they're made by Sylvania), the packaging I threw away. The bulbs worked fine in the old fixture (I think it was made by Cooper Lighting) and they seem to work fine in the new fixture. The new fixture is the HeathZenith model 5415.

The reason I want to use LED bulbs is our electric rates here are high.

I posted pics of the new and old.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

As long as they work properly with the motion detector and other features of the fixture that should be perfectly fine.

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Charter
·surpasshosting
reply to IowaCowboy

Are they outdoor rated? If you bought them at a home improvement store, then I doubt it.

The package will say whether or not they are suitable for outdoor use.

I've only been able to find PAR style LED lamps for outdoor use through specialty sites. I think Verbatim (yes, the disk people) are some of the only ones listed for outdoor use.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

jkj860
The Final Frontier

join:2002-01-10
Valparaiso, IN
reply to IowaCowboy

Seriously, Is it really worth the cost difference.

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
join:2003-07-06
Hampton Bays, NY
kudos:7

said by jkj860:

Seriously, Is it really worth the cost difference.

I concur.
Unless this light is going to be on alot more than usual, the operating cost between a standard and led lamp in this fixture will be minimal.
--
Suffolk County NY Police Feed - »www.scpdny.com
PS3 Gaming Feed - »www.livestream.com/elitedata

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12

2 recommendations

reply to jkj860

No, it won't be worth the cost difference UNTIL some water blows up into the lamp. Then, it will be worth the cost difference.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

IowaCowboy
Want to go back to Iowa
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to nunya

These are the bulbs I have in it.

»www.lowes.com/pd_352311-3-78762_···cetInfo=

The reason for this thread is will these work with the Dual Brite, Alert Flash and Bulb Saver on the mentioned fixture.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

MrFixit1

join:1999-11-26
Madison, WI

If the packaging ( packaging and not just Lowes website ) states the bulb is dimmable , you should be ok .
It may not react the way you expect it to since it is not just a resistive load to the controller , but it should " work "

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky

join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC
reply to IowaCowboy

The good news is if you keep the packaging you can try the bulbs and return them if they don't work.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1
reply to IowaCowboy

said by IowaCowboy:

The reason for this thread is will these work with the Dual Brite, Alert Flash and Bulb Saver on the mentioned fixture.

I would be cautious because of the Dual Brite and Bulb Saver features. According to the product info PDF

"Not for use with dimmers or in luminaries controlled by a dimmer."

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
Louisville, KY

said by robbin:

I would be cautious because of the Dual Brite and Bulb Saver features. According to the product info PDF

"Not for use with dimmers or in luminaries controlled by a dimmer."

That means you cannot have a dimmer switch controlling the fixture. The fixture itself provides the functions so obviously is designed to work like that! Any bulb that works with a dimmer should work with these fixtures.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1

Correct, but the bulb saver is basically a dimmer that dims the bulb to full brightness when starting and the dual brite operates the bulb in a dimmed mode (even if it's not variable). Since these LEDs are not for use with dimmers I am questioning using them with the fixture.

cowspotter

join:2000-09-11
Ashburn, VA
kudos:2

The product the OP linked to says it is dimmable.

MrFixit1

Madison, WI

You and robbin are both correct . That is why I worded my post the way I did .
The specs listed on Lowes site says it is dimmable , But the PDF that the site links to says to not use with a dimmer . Therefore my recommendation to go by what the packaging says .
For some reason I could not find that model listed on Sylvania' s site . The closest one they had ended in 1 instead of 2 . That one was dimmable .

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by MrFixit1:

You and robbin are both correct . That is why I worded my post the way I did .
The specs listed on Lowes site says it is dimmable , But the PDF that the site links to says to not use with a dimmer . Therefore my recommendation to go by what the packaging says .
For some reason I could not find that model listed on Sylvania' s site . The closest one they had ended in 1 instead of 2 . That one was dimmable .

It says 'dimmable' right on the packaging in the upper right corner.
--
What we're saying today is that you're either part of the solution or you're part of the problem. - E. Cleaver 1968

MrFixit1

Madison, WI

Not to go way off topic , but since Lowes linked to an invalid warning , how are we sure that they have the right picture posted
Having been a net user for more years than I want to admit , I have come to believe that it is best to take everything you see or read on the Internet with a very large does of salt

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by MrFixit1:

Not to go way off topic , but since Lowes linked to an invalid warning , how are we sure that they have the right picture posted
Having been a net user for more years than I want to admit , I have come to believe that it is best to take everything you see or read on the Internet with a very large does of salt

I was there yesterday and looked at them while I was buying some 1x2x8 clear pine. 100% chance the picture is correct and they are dimmable.
--
What we're saying today is that you're either part of the solution or you're part of the problem. - E. Cleaver 1968

SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to IowaCowboy

If you look on page 7 of this document it gives the compatible dimmers for this lamp. (model number 78762)

»assets.sylvania.com/assets/Docum···e4ca.pdf

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
Louisville, KY

said by SparkChaser:

If you look on page 7 of this document it gives the compatible dimmers for this lamp. (model number 78762)

»assets.sylvania.com/assets/Docum···e4ca.pdf

Charts like that are never very valid to determine if something is compatible or not. If you have something that is on the list is a good verification that will work. However, if something is not on the list, they just may not have tested it. There are so many different models of devices they never can all be tested.

SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by Msradell:

Charts like that are never very valid to determine if something is compatible or not.

HUH? In your second sentence you say; "If you have something that is on the list is a good verification that will work."