Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

Help identify these interior elements in BMW 3**

Click for full size
In the middle of the roof, behind sunroof opening
Click for full size
Red plastic thingy under the mirror
I recently rode in my coworker's BMW 3 series and noticed a couple things inside that I couldn't identify.

Fotos are attached.

No air coming from the thing in the middle of the roof, so I don't think it is related to heating/AC. Another thing under the mirror looks like a sensor of some kind inside that red plastic housing,

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
Related to the alarm options I believed. The nose on the bottom of the mirror is the dimmer and I believe it flashes when the alarm is turned on.

According to my Bentley manual - the UIS is at the center of the headliner (Interior Monitoring Sensor).

The mirror nose is the DWA indicator - the status of the alarm.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

JoeSchmoe007
Premium
join:2003-01-19
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
said by CylonRed:

Related to the alarm options I believed. The nose on the bottom of the mirror is the dimmer and I believe it flashes when the alarm is turned on.

According to my Bentley manual - the UIS is at the center of the headliner (Interior Monitoring Sensor).

The mirror nose is the DWA indicator - the status of the alarm.

Interior Monitor sensor in the center of the headliner makes perfect sense. Alarm indicator - I am sure you are correct, but this is a strange place to put it (at least I've never seen it there), and why does it have to be so large? Usually it is a small led somewhere on the dashboard.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
There is one on the dash for the radio - like a lot of cars. Double duty and big enough to grasp to dim the mirror. Not to mention to easily see the status of the alarm as the owner/driver - especially at night.

I also think they use it as a warning to would be thiefs - blinking lights in a car is generally not a good thing.

There are 6 statuses it can display..
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

MooJohn

join:2005-12-18
Milledgeville, GA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Windstream
reply to JoeSchmoe007
My 92 and 94 Dodge Stealths had a sensor on the roof there behind the sunroof that was used by the HVAC system to monitor temp within the car. Most other cars have a sensor within the dash but I think knowing the temp in the center of the car would be more accurate.

Ultrasonic sensors for car alarms can fire through plastic so they could be mounted totally concealed, without any need for a visible sensor.
--
John M - Cranky network guy