Premium Member
join:2003-10-23
Louisa, VA

Robotics

Premium Member

[WIN7] Lost Windows Default "Open With" Pop-Up

Click for full size
I don't know what happened, other than I installed the program
"Dropbox" to my laptop recently, but here is the problem I am having now...

When I use to insert a SD card into the built in SD card reader from one of my video camera's to copy the video's off the SD card onto the HD, I would get a window that popped up asking "what do you want to do with this file".
I (in the past) selected "open with windows explorer", and "remember this option", or whatever it said. And it worked flawlessly from there on out. Always automatically opened explorer.

Now I get the error that is shown in the attached .jpg

I can not find how to get it to prompt me what do I want to do with this file. I guess I could go into "Default Programs" in control panel and tell it there, but problem there is, I have several camcorders, and camera's, and all the file types are different. And nothing allows you to just open explorer.

Is there a way to get it back to the way it was when I first bought this laptop?

I don't know why it doesn't work anymore, and I have done nothing to this laptop other than install Dropbox, which woks fine.
But I think it messed up my SD card reader default action.

Thanks!

Kramer
Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA

1 edit

Kramer

Mod

Click for full size
Control Panel-- Autoplay
try these settings
This is WIN8 and WIN7 may differ, but the idea is the same. Maybe someone could post a screen shot for WIN7 if it differs.

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium Member
join:2003-10-23
Louisa, VA

Robotics

Premium Member

Thank you! Looking into it now.
Robotics

Robotics to Kramer

Premium Member

to Kramer
I have everything listed on your image except removable drive

So it made me wonder maybe the drivers for the card reader got corrupt, went and updated them but was told it has the best ones already available.

Card reader still works...just windows doesn't know what to do if something is inserted.

Back to the drawing board. Thanks for the suggestion!
Robotics

Robotics

Premium Member

OK I fixed it. Seems Dropbox changed a bunch of settings. And anything to do with pictures, videos, and music in "Autoplay" were set to import from dropbox. So I told the autoplay to reset to defaults, and all works like normal again.