spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Quickguide01

join:2013-02-14

Wireless Router Setup Question

I have Road Runner Internet. I have 3 computers in my home. One main desktop and 2 laptops. I have the linksys wrt54 wireless router which was bought 6 years ago or so. My desktop is in my room and its connected to the cable modem and the linksys router. This is my main computer.

I use the laptop as well and use it on the living room sometimes but if i do its either there or my room. I rarely had any wireless connection problems at all.

Problem is someone uses a laptop and they use it at the room next to the living room which is one room farther away. The wireless signal shows 3 or 4 bars but even so... you can't really stream videos much like on netflix. I then brang my laptop to that room and it also has 3 or 4 bars but usually 4 bars. Well i could stream the video in that room and my connection is still fast there.

And if you bring the laptop with problems to the living room... the speed would be good and you can stream videos so it is a distance issue but i had no distance issue with my laptop. However that person doesn't want to go to living room to use wireless.

My question is, is there a way to put my wireless router in the living room so the wireless signal would be very good for that other computer 1 room from the living room? Obviously if i bring my desktop there and put the computer there, yes i can. But i would like to have my desktop in my room.

Is there a way to solve this problem? I thought about one way which was just connect my laptop to my cable modem wired and connect the wireless router similar to how its connected to my desktop now. But if i do this, could i go wireless then on my DESKTOP?

I just checked and someone says you can get wireless internet on desktop to buy a wireless adapter for the the desktop so you could use wireless there. But if i do this... would i still need to have the wireless router and cable modem attached to MY LAPTOP in the living room? Obviously if i attach it in the living room it would work and thus my laptop would be wired internet and the other computer would have no problems with wifi signal since its close to the other room.

Quickguide01

Okay so what i did was i was going to take my router and modem and unplug it from my desktop and bring it to the living room. My problem was though that when i tried to do this... there is this wire that is connected to my cable modem. When time warner came to my home, they actually drilled a hole in my room so that the wire connects to another thing on my hallway. Does anyone know what it is?

So basically i can't bring my wireless router and modem outside to living room because of this. Am i suppose to connect it to a phone line or stuff like that?

Very confused at what to do.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

1 edit

Cable internet does not use phone lines - it uses the cable attached to the modem.

You can add in a wireless router and use wireless for all PC's (as long as they all have a wireless NIC) and not need a cable attached to your laptop.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

Quickguide01

Okay it doesn't use phone lines. However, there is a white cable wire that goes from my cable modem and it extends all the way to another thing that is attached to. Its actually close to the ceiling. Can you tell me what that is? Its like some kind of socket.

The thing is how can i put my wireless router and modem in living room then since i need to have that cable wire attached to that thing which is way too far away from the living room.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County

I have no idea what it is called- pictures would help as I have no idea what the 'things' are...

Quickguide01

okay so my cable modem is connected to my linksys router. And there is a wire that connects from my router to my desktop computer. There is one wire that is from the cable modem to my hallway and its connected to like a bunch of other wires. Basically when time warner cable came to my home to install road runner internet... they had to drill a hole in my wall so to connect that cable wire from my modem to like other wires.

Does that make sense in what im saying? I dont know what its called but im giving you my best description.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County

The wire from the modem to the PC is the network cable - it has a RJ-45 connecter on both ends. I can only assume from this description:
"There is one wire that is from the cable modem to my hallway and its connected to like a bunch of other wires. Basically when time warner cable came to my home to install road runner internet... they had to drill a hole in my wall so to connect that cable wire from my modem to like other wires."

I would only hazard to guess that there are other internet outlets in the house. Only other thing I can think of is that the wire going to the modem was spliced into the main run for the TV(s)...
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

Quickguide01

Are you saying that my modem will have to stay where its at then? Someone in another forum told me based on what i said... the modem probably will have to stay there.

They said to buy a very long ethernet cable so i could put the router in the living room so it would be close to the other laptop, thus attach the ethernet from the modem in my room all the way to living room.

My problem though is the modem is all the way to my room. That means if i extend the wire all the way to living room, how can i do this?

If the modem has to stay where it is... how can i actually attach the ethernet cable from my modem all the way to living room without it obstructing when walking? Like for example say i have a television and want to use my laptop and have the tv has my screen, i would need a long usb cable if i wanted to be far away from the tv for example. However, difference here is that the ethernet cable would be extending towards the tv and its the same room. If i do this with my modem in my room and router in living room.... its going to be a very long wire thats going to block where you walk. Im not sure how i phrase this...

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County

You talked about having wireless in the house. You should be able to stream with a fast connection with wireless at 3-4 bars. What speed are you supposed to get from the cable internet?

If you do not want to do wireless:
To get a ethernet cable to the living room you would would need to run the cable via the attic and drop it down into the room or go via a crawl space - if you have it...

Or you can look into power line where the internet is distributed via the electrical wires in the house. I believe this is the basic setup - ethernet cable from the router to a device that is plugged into a electrical outlet. In what ever room you want a wired connection - you plug in another device into an electrical outlet and attach the ethernet cable from the second device to the ethernet port on the PC or laptop.

You can start reading about powerline networking here:
»computer.howstuffworks.com/power-network.htm

Why are there 2 threads about the same thing - this thread also has a lot better info on the setup:
»Linksys Router Wireless Signal Not Strong Enough
--
Brian

Quickguide01

15mbps from time warner road runner.

Do you think getting a usb adapter can solve this problem? Someone said that might be the most simple way since that laptop has bad connection via wifi in that room YET MY LAPTOP doesn't have those problems streaming the same sites...