how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

securityguy

join:2012-08-14
Birmingham, AL

Considering upgrading to U-Verse from DSL

I need someone to tell me all I need to know about U-verse. I had a "territory manager" from AT&T drop by my house earlier. She said they could offer a U-verse TV/Internet(18mbps)/Home phone bundle for $130 compared to the $150 I'm spending now. Currently I have AT&T DSL for internet access, AT&T for home phone, and Charter for TV; with a total cost of $150 per month.

I almost never use my home phone but I do want to keep its service. Charter is OK, but it has been having some pixelation issues in the past few weeks which can be very annoying. My DSL connection is excellent. It's been incredibly reliable and quick even for viewing HD videos on Youtube. It's 6mbps down, .43mbps up, with 52ms ping. I do some online gaming and this connection has been fine for Xbox Live.

U-verse sounds good to me but in researching it I've come across tons of posts where people were having problems with latency and as a result were having tons of problems with gaming. This would be completely unacceptable for me. I'm not a hardcore gamer, but when I do play I don't want to deal with lag. Also, my home was built in the 80s and has normal phone wires as well as cable coax(recently upgraded). Would the phone wiring currently in my house be sufficient for U-verse? I plan on installing this myself. Currently I have my 2wire AT&T router set in DMZplus mode with a WRT54G behind that so that I can access a network camera from outside of my home using DDNS. I've read that the U-verse equipment doesn't have a DMZplus mode and will double NAT. Is this true?

Also, I read a while ago that AT&T was going to implement a 250GB bandwidth cap for U-verse customers. I don't think they've done it yet but if they did would this bandwidth cap include only internet usage or would internet and TV viewing factor into that? Seems like a dumb question but since both signals come in over the phone line it had me curious.

Can anyone address these concerns? Is U-verse really worth it compared to what I've got now?

I'm located in Central Alabama if that helps any.

Tech007
Premium
join:2013-01-25
Belleville, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T DSL Service

When the technican comes out he can run you a new cat5 home run to your new uverse modem, so if you are nice and run one before he/she arrives this would be the min telephone wire for uverse. The existing coax can be used for hooking up the stb(s) you will need for each tv. The tech will test them to make sure they are not losing more signal than they should and should change every fitting to a blue att compression fitting including any fittings behind wallplates and the wallplates themselves or the barrel in the wallplate.

The 250gb cab shouldnt include tv as far as I know.

Im not sure about double nat or dmz since I havent set those up or had any customers ask about them before. Someone should be able to address that. You can open ports on the router for xbox live and gaming that I believe may be some of the problems people have with xbox live and uverse

securityguy

Birmingham, AL

So it is necessary for a tech to do the installation?

I was under the impression that I could do it myself. I set up my DSL router and connection as well as my STB's for Charter without a tech and they all work fine.

Also, did I understand you correctly in that I'd have to rewire my house and that U-verse could not use my existing phone wiring? That's kind of a PITA...

Tech007
Premium
Belleville, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T DSL Service

Uverse only allows a self install for internet only, so if you switch to the uverse for internet only you could do it yourself but tv always requires an install visit plus you get education on how it works

Our tv service requires all of the coax to be tested and all the coax has to have our fittings on it as well as our splitter so thats another reason for full tech installs for video

securityguy

Birmingham, AL

1 edit
reply to securityguy

Alright then. The person I spoke with said a DIY install could be done, even with TV. I guess they were just trying to sell me on the service.

Sounds like that could wind up being a money pit if my wiring needs to be redone for some reason.

Oh well, my current connection is plenty fast enough for what I want to do. And I'd only save $15 a month by switching to U-verse anyway.

Tech007
Premium
Belleville, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T DSL Service

if your wiring needs to be redone while we are there for the full tech install, depending on how many tvs and such we can replace or repair for free(so many lines are included with install) plus we have the wireless receivers of which you can have 2 on an account so sometimes that is nice instead of reusing wiring. The best is cat5 for ethernet to every tv, rarely does it go bad in the future like coax can

Forosnai

join:2011-09-30
kudos:2
reply to securityguy

If you get the TV all the new wiring will be done for free. Sounds like you have the 2WIRE 2701HG-B with your current DSL The Uverse VDSL2 modem will have the same exact DMZ+ mode as the modem you use now. As far as gaming/internet goes, your available bandwidth will jump to 18Mbps+ but your ping times to gaming servers will increase about 15ms. All of the negative press about Uverse being poor for games mostly boils down to people really having line problems and not constructively addressing them.
Familiarizing yourself with the resources on this site and having a full tech install is going to go a long way to mitigating line problems.

securityguy

Birmingham, AL
reply to Tech007

Gaming issues aside, another big reason I'm somewhat hesitant to upgrade is because I just don't trust AT&T.

The person I talked to today said there would be no installation fee but I can't be sure that I won't be charged that anyway. It's happened to me before with AT&T; they'll do some sort of service at my house, tell me it will be free, and then at the end of the month I get a not so pleasant surprise on my bill. I then have to spend the next few hours arguing with customer support to get the charge taken off. So while they're telling me that installation is free and rewiring is free if needed what do I do when I get my first bill and it says I owe XXX amount for installation? Call customer service and then have them claim they never told me installation was free? It sounds crazy, but I've been getting jerked around by AT&T customer service for years.

Forosnai

join:2011-09-30
kudos:2
reply to securityguy

The relationship between consumer and ISP can be daunting at times. I have found it very rewarding over the years by just taking the time to equip myself with as much solid information as possible.
For instance, if you do decide to pull the trigger, ask for your order #, request an email copy of your customer service summary and follow through at the order status url »www.att.com/eos/unauth/eosLogin?···e=uverse