spc
uniqs
root
join:2002-12-11

root to RARPSL

to RARPSL

Re: worst possible time to reboot box

said by RARPSL:

Talking about early morning Firmware Pushes, if I were designing the system that was doing it, I would make sure that it was non-invasive.

IOW: Check the box's status (using the same interface as is used to get the information to do the DVR Web display) to see that it is not in the process of recording OR has a recording scheduled to start in the next 30 minutes (I am giving the software 30 minutes to complete the push - a shorter push window may be enough) so that a late night/early morning recording is not affected. If it finds either an in-flight or scheduled recording, then reschedule the push by doing it at another time or putting that box later on the current push queue.

Note that this would not affect live TV viewing when the push is to occur (or watching a recording - although the fact that the DVR is playing a recording MAY be verifiable via the interface even if the Web Interface Display does not show this information) but at least it will not mess up a customer's attempt to make an early morning recording.

Yeah...I'm sure there is an overwhelming amount of people who are recording those infomercials and skinamax shows at 4am...

fwiw
@optonline.net

fwiw

Anon

Cablevision doesn't do any updates on Sunday nights. Nor on any weekend night.

RARPSL
join:1999-12-08
Suffern, NY

RARPSL to root

to root
said by root:

said by RARPSL:

Talking about early morning Firmware Pushes, if I were designing the system that was doing it, I would make sure that it was non-invasive.

IOW: Check the box's status (using the same interface as is used to get the information to do the DVR Web display) to see that it is not in the process of recording OR has a recording scheduled to start in the next 30 minutes (I am giving the software 30 minutes to complete the push - a shorter push window may be enough) so that a late night/early morning recording is not affected. If it finds either an in-flight or scheduled recording, then reschedule the push by doing it at another time or putting that box later on the current push queue.

Note that this would not affect live TV viewing when the push is to occur (or watching a recording - although the fact that the DVR is playing a recording MAY be verifiable via the interface even if the Web Interface Display does not show this information) but at least it will not mess up a customer's attempt to make an early morning recording.

Yeah...I'm sure there is an overwhelming amount of people who are recording those infomercials and skinamax shows at 4am...

Those are not the only things that you can record in the early morning. In fact, just this morning I recorded a 3 hour long show from BBCA that started at 2AM (and thus ended at 5AM). This was the only airing that I could get (it was the last broadcast of a show that originally aired last month which I missed at that time). There are a number of cable channels that air reruns of earlier airings late at night. Some, I admit might be infomercials but others are just the west coast feeds of the east coast airing of a programming block.

The main point was what I made - The push should verify that the DVR is not in use (or will not be in use) during the push before taking the DVR out of service to do the microcode update.

Jmartz0
join:2000-07-20
Tenafly, NJ

1 recommendation

Jmartz0 to root

to root
said by root:

Actually I do record some movies late at night. Sometimes the Tivo is tied up and I use West Coast feed to record. (Which is why CV should have all West Coast feeds available if they exist).

And unlike Cablevision equipment the TIVO is smart enough to not do software updates when things are being recorded. Tivo has very clever methods to their madness which is why the Tivo is the ultimate DVR and nothing will ever compete with it.

Cablevision should resell Tivo's... it would be a very smart move for them to do that.