lit up
Premium
join:2001-02-06
Sterling Heights, MI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast

[Help] Lappy plus heat

Hi folks, I was folding for TD since September but had to discontinue due heat and high core temps. I have an Acer laptop that works like a charm otherwise. I have tried 2 different laptop coolers, 1 a rosewill and the 2nd a Zalman that had good reviews but neither made enough difference to keep the core temps under 80c. I have tried various settings such less CPU usage etc. but no luck. Maybe this laptop just isn't designed to work well with coolers, not sure.
But I guess my question is does anybody here have any cooling suggestions? Summer with the a/c on I can crunch in the back room but during heating season, no dice.

Mark910
Premium
join:2002-04-21
Dayton, OH

I would suggest that you check the heatsink for dust build up. If you have easy access to the heatsink, try and blow or vacume the dust out of it.

jaynick
lit up
Premium
Sterling Heights, MI

Thanks, Tomorrow I'll see if there is relatively easy access. I downloaded some pics of my model with disassembly instructions.

bbrcat
Help Fight Cancer
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-09
NH
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to jaynick

I too hace an Acer(quad core). On mine, I have raised it up from the surface it's on and it did the trick...I have done the same on my other laptops too.

Maybe it will help
--
Team
Discovery

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Co-Lead Mod
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

1 recommendation

reply to jaynick

I like this cooler, because you can move the fans under the hot spots: »www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Not···p+cooler
--
***ATMFAQ***DIFAQ***Kitchen Sink***

jaynick
lit up
Premium
Sterling Heights, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by tmpchaos:

I like this cooler, because you can move the fans under the hot spots: »www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Not···p+cooler

Thanks! Have one on the way, looks like it maybe the ticket because the warmest area is the left side of the keyboard area.