how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

magaman

join:2013-02-10
Shoreham, NY

[OOL] CV is Watching You New Anti-Piracy System Online

So for those that might download torrents beware that the new Copyright Alert System has apparently been brought online at a bunch of ISPs, Optimum being one of them. »www.eff.org/deeplinks/2013/02/co···your-isp

The system was slated to go online last Fall but due to Superstorm Sandy the government pushed the launch back. While I'm not up here grandstanding against the system, there are some questions that many users should be asking. Like how much are they monitoring our connections now? Will you be able to appeal when downloading items you already own? And a ton of others.

On the other hand unlike the original system which was going to be 3 strikes. This system is 6 strikes and is more education focused. Instead of instant throttling you'll be referred to educational websites.

TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA
kudos:3

Re: [OOL] CV is not Watching You

ACTUALLY, CV Will not be watching you. The copyright alert system is a system based on complaints from content holders to the ISP and how the ISPs are to handle those complaints. I'm not passing judgment on the system but at least lets understand how it works.
--
Warning, If you post nonsense and use misinformation and are here to argue based on those methods, you will be put on ignore.

frdrizzt

join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY
I was under the same impression as TheWiseGuy. The complaints reported to CV would undergo the process. CV is not out to spend more money than they have to policing this process.

max pl

join:2009-03-22
Hyde Park, NY
said by frdrizzt:

I was under the same impression as TheWiseGuy. The complaints reported to CV would undergo the process. CV is not out to spend more money than they have to policing this process.

I agree

Coolguy2

@optonline.net
reply to magaman

Re: [OOL] CV is Watching You New Anti-Piracy System Online

I had the impression that the ISP's were going to do deep packet inspection. If not, then nothing has changed.

If you download copyrighted material using a file sharing protocol that exposes your ip, they send OOL a letter, and OOL tells you.
What has changed now with 6 strikes? Capping after 6 detections???

frdrizzt

Ronkonkoma, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
From what I remember vaguely when it first was discussed, there are 3 warnings with "click to agree to stop" type messages, then educational videos they are forced to stream, and a temporary throttle after 6th offense. Maybe there is one other step in there, but it's the gist of it.

TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA
reply to Coolguy2
said by Coolguy2 :

I had the impression that the ISP's were going to do deep packet inspection. If not, then nothing has changed.

If you download copyrighted material using a file sharing protocol that exposes your ip, they send OOL a letter, and OOL tells you.
What has changed now with 6 strikes? Capping after 6 detections???

Not much has changed except you will be forced to acknowledge having received the notices and there is a mitigation stage. Theoretically the steps are different for different ISPs.

Here is the CCI explanation of the System. It says Content Holders who claim a violation will send a notice to the ISP.

»www.copyrightinformation.org/unc···o-begin/

What has changed is the formalized steps. See

»arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012···d-sites/
--
Warning, If you post nonsense and use misinformation and are here to argue based on those methods, you will be put on ignore.

DAOWAce

join:2006-10-25
Flanders, NJ
reply to magaman
Just saw this in my e-mail as well.

Didn't it used to be 4 strikes and then your internet service was terminated?

Unless this actually involves packet inspection, then I see it as a more laxed system. Regardless, encryption exists..

kickass69

join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
reply to frdrizzt
Bottom line here is those who already have done so switched to using a VPN with the OpenVPN client, others having read this will learn and end up using one. The rest are either oblivious or just don't care.
Expand your moderator at work

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

join:2008-05-28

2 recommendations

reply to kickass69

said by kickass69:

Bottom line here is those who already have done so switched to using a VPN with the OpenVPN client, others having read this will learn and end up using one. The rest are either oblivious or just don't care.

...or they don't steal copyrighted materials.

MxxCon

join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY
reply to max pl

said by max pl:

said by frdrizzt:

I agree

VPN won't save you for long.
1st of all don't you think that VPN services are also monitoring your connection?
2nd, how do you know they won't forward/enforce DMCA claims against your VPN account?
3rd, if they will continue to ignore DMCA claims their servers will either be raided and all logs collected by force or their payment processing accounts will be canceled for supporting piracy, the company will go out of business and all your payment info will endup on the free black market.

Your tinfoil hat won't protect you.
--
[Sig removed by Administrator: signature can not exceed 20GB]

max pl

Hyde Park, NY
reply to magaman

yeh youre right.

vpn is useless.

oolguy

@ddc-web.com
reply to magaman
Just to clear some things up:

The issue here is the sharing...aka uploading of data. Downloading alone is not yet going to fall under this program. For those who use torrents, if you are seeding, you are sharing and uploading.

To OP, It is no excuse to download something you already own, when you purchase media/content, you are purchasing a license to view it on the particular format and for reasonable household use. You may legally make backup copies from your original source, but you cannot just download someone else's.

foodforthoug

@cablevision.com
reply to magaman
Should be funny when they throttle the connection and then the FCC SAM does a speed test.

Dodge
Premium
join:2002-11-27
reply to MxxCon

said by MxxCon:

1st of all don't you think that VPN services are also monitoring your connection?

Some do, there are others that specifically don't and are located in jurisdictions that don't require them to keep any logs.
said by MxxCon:

2nd, how do you know they won't forward/enforce DMCA claims against your VPN account?

Because a lot of VPN companies are not US based and couldn't give a rat's ass about DMCA?
said by MxxCon:

3rd, if they will continue to ignore DMCA claims their servers will either be raided and all logs collected by force or their payment processing accounts will be canceled for supporting piracy, the company will go out of business and all your payment info will endup on the free black market.

See my first comment, they can be raided 5 times from Sunday, they don't have logs. Grabbing a server is going to serve 0 purpose if there is no data on it. And there are ways to get around payment processing (tokens for example), that most of these companies won't care.

MxxCon

Brooklyn, NY
said by Dodge:

said by MxxCon:

Some do, there are others that specifically don't and are located in jurisdictions that don't require them to keep any logs.

Do you have root login to all of their servers to make sure that they do what they claim the do?
said by Dodge:

said by MxxCon:

Because a lot of VPN companies are not US based and couldn't give a rat's ass about DMCA?

Tell that to Visa, Mastercard, PayPal and others when they cut off that services' payment processing. Did you forget this? »www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree···recedent
said by Dodge:

said by MxxCon:

See my first comment, they can be raided 5 times from Sunday, they don't have logs. Grabbing a server is going to serve 0 purpose if there is no data on it. And there are ways to get around payment processing (tokens for example), that most of these companies won't care.

MegaUpload also kinda dind't give rats ass about DMCA, yet they got raided. Whether it was legal or illegal is irrelevant. MPAA/RIAA exhorted enough power on law enforcement that they did their bidding. The service got shutdown/disrupted.
Or did you forget how many times PirateBay's servers got raided?
If corps see a target, they will go after it, it doesn't matter if they keep logs or not.
--

max pl

Hyde Park, NY
reply to magaman

raids dont matter if theres no logging.

cc's dont matter when you have bitcoin.

they'll always be behind the pirates, homie, just like you'll always be behind our arguments because youre wrong.

MxxCon

Brooklyn, NY
good luck buying bread and milk with bitcoin, homie.

cOOLguy

join:2009-09-10
Torrington, CT
reply to magaman
Fury will come when people are downloading a video like the recent NASCAR crash and a real-time DMCA take down gets put into the Six Strikes (SS) system by MLB, NFL, or a private property owner.

It will be like those red light traffic cams. Don't believe for an instant this will only apply to Pirates of teh Carribean. In fact I could see a video on how to hack something being DMCA'd by a hardware or software company. There is going to be some real time censoring of information going on.

Too bad you get a strike.

TechnoGeek

join:2013-01-07
reply to MxxCon

[Deleted, not neccesary any more]

MxxCon

Brooklyn, NY
reply to cOOLguy

Yes, I can see that happening. Does not seem that difficult to do from a technology point of view.
--

cOOLguy

join:2009-09-10
Torrington, CT
Yes, there is very effective system now on the usenet servers which are subject to the DMCA. The automated take down process removes posts in a matter of hours if not minutes.

max pl

Hyde Park, NY
reply to magaman

kickass69

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
reply to limegrass69
There are 3 types of individuals involved with this subject: 1. People who like to torrent/P2P and get said movies/music/shows free and would've never paid for them anyway. 2. People who torrent/P2P because the networks/companies that have their shows don't offer a legal ad free inexpensive alternative to getting them or don't offer them at all. 3. Torrenting/P2Ping shows/movies/music out of convenience while they would easily pay for it through any means.

Numbers 2 and 3 can easily be rectified if the content companies and the MPAA/MIAA offered such that aren't expensive and are easy to access. Number 1 are most likely using VPNs through a foreign country that doesn't log any information so it's pretty useless to go after them anyway while it's possible 2 is and 3 the least likely.

Instead of these industries fully adapting, they're causing this situation themselves. On the other hand I doubt they'll ever be enough profit for them regardless of what happens.

kickass69

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

1 edit
reply to max pl
For people who live in Cablevision's territory with actual broadband competition (Fios), they can call them up and let them know why they're switching to protest them in participating in this 6 strikes scheme to begin with. Others have complained outright at which point Cablevision and others ISPs who lose enough subscribers and/or get enough grief will back down from this. I don't see this 6 strikes scheme not lasting longer than 2-3 years as a result.

MxxCon

Brooklyn, NY
Except Verizon, Time Warner and Comcast are also participating in this scam. So there's no much to protest with.
This is what is what's known as Collusion.
--

kickass69

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
I know what the definition of Collusion is. It seems like overseas VPN is the only answer then since the Copyright system has been horribly broken for a long time now.

frdrizzt

Ronkonkoma, NY
Other alternatives would include not downloading (who are we kidding? probably just uploading if this is anything like most cases) pirated media.

MxxCon

Brooklyn, NY
said by frdrizzt:

Other alternatives would include not downloading (who are we kidding? probably just uploading if this is anything like most cases) pirated media.

Actually it is illegal to upload, aka distribute copyrighted content, not download it.
--