Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:4

[FireFox] Stand Alone Profile Manager warning?

Click for full size
I recently upgraded Fx 10 ESR to Fx 17 ESR and lost the builtin Profile Manager and all profiles except the one I was using when I upgraded.

When I try to use the new Standalone Profile Manager, I get a warning which makes no sense. Fx is NOT running so why do I get this warning?

Are you only supposed to use the Profile Manager if you want to change profiles? That makes no sense. Builtin profile manager has been around forever. Why such a radical change? With builtin manager EACH TIME you start Fx you get the profile manager if you have multiple profiles and you choose the one you want. This new Profile Manager appears to work ENTIRELY DIFFERENTLY AND IN A STUPID MANNER.

Someone just told me the builtin Profile Manager is still in version 19. He doesn't have 17 ESR yet (he still has 10 ESR). So, I used the run box to reach the builtin one and Windows says it can't find it! But I don't think it is there since 17 ESR nastily deleted all my profiles except the last used one when it installed.

So, was the builtin one removed in Fx 17 and then put back in Fx 19? If I had upgraded to Fx 19 instead of 17 ESR would I still have all my profiles (because profile manager builtin is in it but not in 17)?
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

Stand alone Profile Manager says:

"Locked profiles

Some profiles may be shown as locked in the main window. Such profiles are currently being used by an instance of Firefox. If you attempt to perform any operation on a locked profile, you'll get a warning; if you choose to continue despite the warning, you may encounter errors or corrupt a profile.

It's strongly recommended to avoid operations on locked profiles. If you need to do something with a locked profile, close the instance of Firefox which is using the profile first."

»developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs···_Manager

The last sentence says to close the iinstance of Fx which is using the profile first before starting it again. IT WAS CLOSED. I checked Details in Task Manager to make sure Fx had fully closed before using Profile Manager to start it again. After I got that error, I closed Fx again. I waited awhile and checked Task Manager,Details, to make sure it was fully closed and then opened Profile Manager and got the error again. Why?

If I remove the checkmark under "Default" for the default profile will that stop the error?

I just want to be able to click on Fx icon in Taskbar or Quickstart and have the Profile Manager popup and ask me what profile I wish to use. That is simple and should not have become convoluted with this new stand alone Profile Manager.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

jupitermoon

join:2011-09-27
reply to Mele20

I just installed Firefox 17.0.3 ESR. When I started Firefox, the built-in Profile Manager opened, giving me the option to choose a user profile.

I'm also able to open the built-in Profile Manager from the Run box.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

1 edit

Yes,, I can open the builtin one from the run box using this: firefox.exe -p. But if I type in the full path, I get a Windows error that it can't find the path. The path looks correct to me.

I obviously did not get a good upgrade since Fx 17 ESR trashed all my profiles except the one I was using when I upgraded.

The builtin Profile Manager did not show up for me because all the profiles were trashed except one and also because when I did manage to get it, "don't ask at Startup" was checked!

Upgrading trashed a lot of my settings and the strange thing is that the trashing, for the most part, didn't show up at first. It has just been the past 24 hours that I have seen settings from Fx 10 ESR getting trashed in Fx 17 ESR. It is a strange situation.

Edit: For the record, anyone finding this via Google, I upgraded OVER Fx 10 ESR. That is probably not a good idea as a week later, I am suddenly seeing many problems that were not apparent when I first did the upgrade. jupitermoon See Profile did a separate installation of Fx 17. That is probably the best thing to do.
--

jupitermoon

That is why I don't like to upgrade and prefer to install clean, especially in this case where you are going from version 10 to version 17.

You said the path looks correct to you. Do you have Firefox installed in the default folder? What path did you enter?

chachazz
Premium
join:2003-12-14
kudos:9
Reviews:
·TELUS

1 edit
reply to Mele20

The Profile Manager hasn't changed and works just fine.

That standalone Profile Manager v1.0 has not been updated since November 2011 and a little checking, which you could do yourself (via your link and the bug), will show that nobody is working on it and it cannot be expected to continue to work on future releases.

As test, it does work with each of 5 profiles in Nightly, Aurora, Beta and Firefox Release, despite the Warning.

Use at your own risk.

firefox.exe -p is all that is needed to open the Profile Manager.

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium
join:2007-08-13
Philippines
kudos:1
Reviews:
·PLDT
·Comcast
reply to Mele20

You are getting the warning because Profile Manager has found a lock file in that profiles directory. That lock file is created when Firefox starts and normally is cleared when it exits. If Firefox exits abnormally the lock is sometimes not cleared. If you are sure there is no other instance of Firefox running with that profile then just click OK to continue. You can also simply delete the file "lock" from that profiles directory. In Windows it's called "parent.lock".

The built-in profile manager is still part of Firefox, is not going aways anytime soon. As [iuser=chachazz] has already mentioned the stand alone Profile Manager has not be updated in a while. That said I still use the stand alone Profile Manager, it has features not available in the built-in one that I use.
--
Chris
Living in Paradise!!

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to chachazz

I distinctly recall being told in this forum that Mozilla was abandoning the builtin Profile Manager because it was archaic and almost no one ever used it. The attitude here was that I should be thrilled to use the new, standalone one when I upgraded to Fx 17...so, that evidently all changed somewhere all the way during this year I had Fx 10 ESR and I did not realize that especially when my other profiles got trashed during the upgrade so the builtin one did not automatically appear. I'm glad the builtin one is still around.
--

jupitermoon

reply to chrisretusn

said by chrisretusn:

You are getting the warning because Profile Manager has found a lock file in that profiles directory. That lock file is created when Firefox starts and normally is cleared when it exits. If Firefox exits abnormally the lock is sometimes not cleared.... In Windows it's called "parent.lock".

Beginning with Firefox 13, the parent.lock file is no longer deleted when you exit Firefox. The developers decided to repurpose the parent.lock file to detect startup crashes. The timestamp of the existing parent.lock file during startup is compared to a preference value to see if the last startup was successful. So now it is no longer sufficient to know if a profile is locked by checking for the existence of the parent.lock file.

Dumb decision, IMO, but I've read that the alternatives would have slowed down startup or shutdown, so maybe not.

The external Profile Manager was supposed to be modified, but since I don't use it, I haven't paid attention, so I don't know if it was.

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium
join:2007-08-13
Philippines
kudos:1
Reviews:
·PLDT
·Comcast

Something I did not know. I agree is was a silly decision. I never noticed this before, I don't normally use Windows.

In Linux, it called Lock and it is deleted when Firefox is closed.
--
Chris
Living in Paradise!!