share rss forum feed

Viper359
Premium
join:2006-09-17
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms

Any technical reason?

Is there any real reason why Rogers could not use the Arris home gateway like shaw has? Is the backend not able etc? I mean, just looking at the info sheet from the arris website Arris »www.arrisi.com/product_catalog/_···UN11.pdf this thing blows the current stuff Rogers uses out of the water, and could actually compete with Bell, and even take it one step further!

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4
On paper it looks good, but the real thing isn't that great. I've seen both Shaw and W.O.W.'s deployment of this product and it's better than Rogers NextBox, but still not as stable or reliable as Mediaroom.

As for technical, I don't think there are any, Shaw is a moto based system, while W.O.W. uses SA/Cisco.

Also, the product doesn't really fit in with Rogers typical pricing model. The gateway is headless and not cheap, the customers would have to buy/rent it in addition to buying/renting client boxes for each TV.

Viper359
Premium
join:2006-09-17
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
I must be missing something, you have to buy or rent the boxes now no? The prices seem the same on the shaw website to what Rogers charges for these over priced garbage boxes.

Agree Mediaroom is much better, but can that be deployed with ease to a cable system such as rogers?

Isn't media room all IP based, and Rogers isn't there yet.....

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4
The arris gateway is headless meaning it sits in your basement and does not have video outputs. It just converts QAM signals to IP and shuttles them to IP only client boxes. Because of this setup on extra piece of equipment is always required, thus increasing rental/upfront costs for the customer and decreasing adoption rates.

For example, a one TV home with the Arris setup requires the gateway and the IP client box. With Rogers and most other cable providers you just need one PVR.

Media room is great but I don't think it can be deployed on cable unless to transmit their video signals using IP. Even if Rogers could use media room it would be odd to compete against bell using the exact same platform.