spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Coolguy2

@optonline.net

Troubleshoot CAN-Controlled bulb, how

Looking at the thread on led bulbs only, I see they are putting CAN serial protocol controlled bulbs in all lights. How are you supposed to see why these things don't light up when they should if you don't have a tool that can detect a CAN message telling the bulb to light up?

Do you have to rip the car apart and replace every component that control the bulb one at a time (starting with the bulb) until it starts working????

HarryH3
Premium
join:2005-02-21
kudos:3
You get to write a check at the local repair shop to have it debugged. But hey, at least the manufacturer shaved the weight of your car by 0.5 ounces for each wire they designed out.

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
kudos:2
reply to Coolguy2
I would expect something lighter like LIN to be used for bulb control.
--
The talented hawk speaks French.

lutful
... of ideas
Premium
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON
kudos:1
reply to Coolguy2
Newer OBD code scanners also support CAN bus monitoring. You can check if pins 5/6/14/16 are populated on the connector in your car - those are for CAN bus.

cOOLguy

join:2009-09-10
Torrington, CT
reply to Cho Baka
I thought LIN was a subset of CAN. Anyhow, dont forget some bulb catalog writer wrote the description.

cOOLguy

Torrington, CT

1 edit
reply to lutful
Ok so please tell me the pricing and availability of a monitor that can replace the old-fashioned 12 volt test light. The test light, of course, is only useful on bulbs that do not require a collision-sensing multiple access data bus with built-in message queueing and prioritization, carrying data protected with checksums to
-turn on bulb
-turn off bulb

cOOLguy

Torrington, CT
reply to HarryH3
Honestly I dont think the local repair shop guy is going to have a diagnostic tool that reads that deep....I know he cant read body control module error code that says the evaporator is bad....However the dealer can.

HarryH3
Premium
join:2005-02-21
said by cOOLguy:

Honestly I dont think the local repair shop guy is going to have a diagnostic tool that reads that deep....I know he cant read body control module error code that says the evaporator is bad....However the dealer can.

In that case, you get to pay the dealer $120/hr plus be charged $450 for something like the "Tail Lamp Control Module" that costs $5 to manufacture.

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to cOOLguy
said by cOOLguy:

I did work with CAN about 7 - 8 years ago, and my opinion is that you either get the tools the dealer has (or at least comparable ones), or just get a laptop and a CAN card (i.e. Kvaser) and use that one to read the codes. May require some programming.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

lutful
... of ideas
Premium
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON

1 edit
reply to cOOLguy
said by cOOLguy:

Ok so please tell me the pricing and availability of a monitor that can replace the old-fashioned 12 volt test light.

When I buy a car which CAN ... I will get a USB dongle with Android app and some LED decoys.

»www.globalpowerleds.com/products-212.html

*** for now, this seems to be the cheapest OBD/CANbus monitor at $21.48:
»www.amazon.com/U480-CAN-BUS-OBDI···035RZ280

TheHarvester
Premium
join:2006-08-25
Dana Point, CA

1 edit
reply to cOOLguy
said by cOOLguy:

As fast as I know, the dealer doesn't have a scanner that well tell them "the evaporator is bad". Although they see many more of the same problems, they can have a much better educated guess at what a problem is just by reading a code.
As far as reading body control codes, my aftermarket scanner can do that. It can also read transmission, ABS, anti theft, air bag, door modules, Instruments cluster and suspension. It has bi-directional control meaning I can command components on or off with the scanner. I can also buy an adapter that would allow me to reprogram any of the modules. That includes OEM updates and accessories like transponder keys.

If I wanted to I could buy factory scan tools for all the manufacturers and have the same exact tools as the dealers, but that would cost me fortune and I am not willing to drop that kind of money on scanners.

(EDIT to fix all the phone auto (in)corrects after taking the time to read the post)
--
mbsastronomy.com

paulnrld

join:2001-11-15
Sun Prairie, WI
What make/model aftermarket scanner do you have?

TheHarvester
Premium
join:2006-08-25
Dana Point, CA
Snap-On Solus Pro.
--
mbsastronomy.com

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to Coolguy2
I wonder why would a light bulb need to be on the data bus? When all that is needed is a simple 12v switch in the brake pedal.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

shdesigns