uniqs
share rss forum feed

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5

Should I do a burn-in on my new factory system?

It's very exciting for a guy like me to get a new computer, because my budget doesn't normally allow even parts upgrades, but I was able to get a new laptop that is pretty good.

But I was thinking, maybe I should run some burn in tests, such as running memtest 86+. But what other tests would you all suggest I run? I tried running F@H on it with no problems, but I don't want to run this thing that hard for normal use, so I stopped doing that. This computer will hopefully get me through college, or at least part of it...

I'd like to test and see how well it upclocks with just one core being loaded (to see if it will really reach 3.1 GHz), and see how stable it is under full load.

I'd also like to test the drive (hello, Koitsu) if I can...
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
I would on a desktop, but don't burn-in the CPU or GPU on a laptop. Probably asking for more trouble than it's worth.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Dream Killer
Graveyard Shift
Premium
join:2002-08-09
Forest Hills, NY
kudos:1
reply to signmeuptoo
parts already get burned-in at the fab. they're guaranteed to run at the clocks they ship in.

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky

join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to signmeuptoo
Laptops have a much shorter life then a desktop so overclocking or running extensive testing is just eating up your useful life on the machine. If you wanted to overclock something get a desktop.
--
What we're saying today is that you're either part of the solution or you're part of the problem. - E. Cleaver 1968

kvn864

join:2001-12-18
Sun City, AZ
kudos:1
reply to signmeuptoo
I will echo what 3 people above me said, burn in on a laptop isn't required.