yabbazooie
Premium
join:2001-02-13
Carnegie, PA
kudos:5

Fixed a furnace today....

Click for full size
ugg
So, had a call from a customer today, had fixed his waterheater prior, and mentioned I do furnace repair when the need arises..

He said he had a burning smell from the vents when the furnace blower was on, and he shut it down asap. (this is a hot water coil air handler) I had him give me model#'s from the motor, and I got a new motor for him..

Went to change it at the end of the day, and found this pic..

Didnt quite process how bad it was until I cleaned the small section.. Then I had to take a pic.. This was the A-Coil... upflow air handler. The hot coil wasnt nearly as bad, as the blower was sandwitched between the A and hot coil, and the a-coil was takin all the funk.. Guy and his wife are heavy smokers, and he was runnin the clear fiberglass filters, prolly changing one a year...

-j
--
if it aint broke, tweak it!!
currently on FiOS (kick aZZ!)

PSWired

join:2006-03-26
Annapolis, MD

Did you clean out his lungs while you were at it?

telco_mtl

join:2012-01-06
reply to tp0d

its like when i did tech support at a smokers place and i opened up their computer, the reaction was priceless, they were more worried what the smokes did to the computer than their lungs

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to tp0d

Good thing I don't have a job going into customer's homes. Cigarette smoke makes me ill. Just as bad is the irresponsible people who have pets and there is more kitty litter on the rugs than in the cat box.

At least my cat behaves himself.

I had a Comcast technician tell me horror stories about disgusting homes. I applied for a job as a Comcast tech but did not get hired. Now I am kind of glad I did not get the job as that would entail going into the homes of smokers and cigarette smoke makes me ill.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

join:2013-03-04
North Reading, MA
reply to tp0d

That's disgusting!

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
reply to tp0d

If you check out the Wall of Shame over at HVAC-Talk.com you'll see far worse coils from time to time.