spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

join:2013-02-25

What's your opinion on the Six Stricks?

I don't think this ristriction will long lasts since so many people resist it. Our public Internet Environment will be broken.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:4

I have no clue what your talking about??

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA
reply to 88457029

Something we often times forget in places like DSLReports is that we do not represent the majority. Many of us may not like it, but the vast majority of the US population won't understand what it actually does unless it affects them. If it does affect them, they are probably going to change their habits. Not use VPNs and newsgroups. VPNs and newsgroups are niche at best. Most people don't know how to use them.

I truly don't see any reason for this policy to go anywhere.

equazcion1

join:2007-04-24
Fresh Meadows, NY
reply to 88457029

The OP is referring to "Six Strikes", and it apparently will be affecting a good portion of US broadband downloaders. Read about it here: »arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013···ks-like/

And, in response to the question, it looks to me like privatized lawmaking. ISPs and copyright holders have teamed up to make a new police force that does an end-run around congress. I think it'll be struck down, hopefully soon.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

said by equazcion1:

The OP is referring to "Six Strikes" ... in response to the question, it looks to me like privatized lawmaking. ISPs and copyright holders have teamed up to make a new police force that does an end-run around congress. I think it'll be struck down, hopefully soon.

Would that it were so simple; but I doubt that it will be "struck down". Six Strikes is not a criminal law process. It is a civil law process allowing an interested third party (agent of the MAFIAA) to file an abuse complaint (violation of ToS) with a participating ISP (only five at this time).

The customer will get DMCA notices, as before, but participating ISPs will take some unspecified (mostly guesses now) mitigating action against their customers after the fifth and sixth strikes. As matters currently stand, it appears that infringing activity beyond the sixth strike will not incur any further mitigation attempts by the ISPs.

However, there is nothing in the "Six Strikes" policy to preclude MAFIAA agents from filing legal action as civil torts, or ISPs from revealing customer contact under civil subpoena. I am guessing that "Six Strikes" exists in hopes of scaring the rubes straight, while building evidence of "frame of mind" as a counter to the "Who, me?" defense if the MAFIAA should decide to press civil action.

I expect that most users repeatedly accused of infringing activity will either stop before the sixth strike, or learn how to infringe without attracting attention to their activity. It should have a barely perceptible impact on piracy, due to Usenet and VPNs.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

said by NormanS:

However, there is nothing in the "Six Strikes" policy to preclude MAFIAA agents from filing legal action as civil torts, or ISPs from revealing customer contact under civil subpoena.

There isn't even any language preventing entities not party to "Six Strikes" from filing subpoenas requiring ISPs to reveal "Six Strikes" data on their users:

»torrentfreak.com/verizon-asked-t···-130402/
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

mudtoe

join:2005-10-09
Cincinnati, OH
reply to NormanS

Encryption is eventually going to become the norm rather than the exception. I'll bet you people like terrorists and pedophiles already know a whole lot about encryption.

Karen87

join:2013-03-27
reply to 88457029

Some skeptics have pointed out that the copyright alerts system won’t have much effect since there are many ways to beat the system (for example you can protect your privacy and prevent monitoring by using a VPN). You can read the rest of the article here : »tinyurl.com/bvcqj3h