uniqs

chmod
Premium Member
join:2000-12-12
Lockport, IL

chmod

Premium Member

To SSD or not?

In my quest to extend the life and gain some performance from my ageing system I'm now contemplating an SSD upgrade. I have this motherboard and I'm looking at this drive. Hopefully they will play nice together. I'm running the latest bios update which has the following changelog:

Beta BIOS
Update AHCI ROM 3.1.0.0
Improve SSD compatibility

The "Improve SSD compatibility" has me a little concerned. The price is right though. I haven't done much homework on ssd's but from what I have it seems this should give me a nice little boost and be a nice intermediate update before I do a full new build in the future. Current specs are as follows:

AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition @ 4ghz 3 cores
Gigabyte ma785gm-us2h
Antec 650watt PSU
MSI Radeon HD7750
750gb WD Black Drive (main)
1tb seagate (data)
300gb seagate external firewire
4gb OCZ DDR2
2x 23" Acer Monitors

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

It might help, but you need a mobo/socket upgrade.

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor to chmod

to chmod
I equipped a lowly 3.2 GHz HT P4 with a 100G SSD, and it made a noticeable improvement.

ImpldConsent
Scouts Out
Premium Member
join:2001-03-04
North Port, FL
·Comcast XFINITY

ImpldConsent to chmod

Premium Member

to chmod
Pull the trigger on SSD anyway. What have you got to lose except that they will eventually get cheaper and cheaper? If there was ever one single upgrade in all my years, it was the switch from HDD to SSD on the OS. The SSD I dropped in was on a 2007 box and it's still running. Don't sweat this decision.

kvn864
join:2001-12-18
Sun City, AZ

kvn864 to chmod

to chmod
Putting SSD into your machine is the best thing that can happen to it in terms of an upgrade. Try using regular HDD after used to SSD, and you think: how in the world I had patience to wait this long for everything..

tscotty
Premium Member
join:2005-07-04
Ridgeway, MO

tscotty to chmod

Premium Member

to chmod
I totally agree with the rest about going for it. I put a 120G OCZ Vertex 3 in my 4 year old acer laptop and it's like a new laptop again. Even though the laptop can't take advantage of the SATA III of the Vertex it was still worth it.
Thordrune
Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune to chmod

Premium Member

to chmod
I have an Agility 3 in my Socket 939 Opteron machine. Big improvement in performance. I also put an SSD in my early 2006 Dell laptop (1.5 Gbps SATA, no AHCI), big improvement there too. I'd definitely go for it.

Funny that aurgathor See Profile mentioned an SSD with a P4, I tried that with my dad's old Dell and made a video of it installing/using Windows 7 .

kw0
Premium Member
join:2004-06-12
New Albany, OH

kw0 to chmod

Premium Member

to chmod
SSD over HDD is going to be night and day difference, even on old equipment.

The random writes/reads are where the big gain is...and the SATAII/III difference isn't going to put a dent in those gains.

trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH

trparky

Premium Member

An SSD breathes new life into an older computer. Plain and simple. The biggest bottleneck in today's PCs is the hard drive. Replace that with an SSD and you'll eliminate that bottleneck.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium Member
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY

kingdome74 to chmod

Premium Member

to chmod
I did the same as others. I put a SATA 3 drive in my P55 so when I do replace the CPU and the mobo I already will have the drive. It's what I call a slow-motion upgrade.

chmod
Premium Member
join:2000-12-12
Lockport, IL

chmod

Premium Member

Thanks for the input. I went ahead and bought a Kingston from newegg. The refurb ocz had me a little hesitant. Not bad for $89 I think. »www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 20721107

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium Member
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY

kingdome74

Premium Member

Just don't expect 12 second win 7 load times until you upgrade your CPU and mobo to accommodate SATA III speeds. It will be faster though.
Indy Sabre
Sabre Rider From Indianapolis
join:2003-10-02

Indy Sabre to chmod

to chmod
Went with one of the Sandisk - »www.frys.com/product/716 ··· _RSLT_PG afew months ago, really like it and it is now $79.99