how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

datguy11

@verizon.net

soaking tub or jacuzzi tub questions

Click for full size
My wife likes to take hot baths, bubble baths, etc.. So we are deciding on buying a soaking tub or more likely a jacuzzi tub (or any tub with jets and a heater)

My situation is that we have a small bathroom that can only accomadate a 5 foot tub and a tub with an accessable front "skirt" - no room for a custom install or corner tubl or a frame for a drop in tub.

So, in looking at a few tubs in HD and Lowes and Online I found that most of them range from 19 to 22 inches deep..

That doesnt sound deep enough for a whirlpool type bath tub...

Can anyone make recommedations or give me some advice? Shouldnt a tub used for soaking or massage therapy be deeper??

This tub will be used to replace an existing standard 5 foot tub that I measure at about 14 inches in height.

Also this tub will not be stand alone for soaking/jacuzzi.. it will also function with a shower head

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:8
This might work for you:

»www.amazon.com/American-Standard ··· 198BMWW/

Available at Home Depot, also.
--
Nothing makes an American want to do something more than telling them they can't.

telco_mtl

join:2012-01-06
reply to datguy11
dont mean to burst your bubble, but they always specify on jetted tubs to not take bubble baths as it gums up the works

Ken
Premium,MVM
join:2003-06-16
Markle, IN
reply to datguy11
said by datguy11 :

Also this tub will not be stand alone for soaking/jacuzzi.. it will also function with a shower head

I've heard a lot of negative things over the years about using a jetted tub as a regular shower. I have no first hand experience, but from what I understand each shower puts a small amount of steam and warm water into the jets and the pipes where it grows mold because those pipes never get flushed out on a regular basis. The other problem is a lot of the jetted tubs don't have a flange around the sides and back for the shower wall to come down and overlap. You would have leaks, unless you find a jetted tub with the proper lip sticking up on 3 sides like a normal tub has. I can't remember the technical term at the moment.

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium
join:2010-01-13
Dupont, WA
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to datguy11
First just remember that soaking type tubs are harder to get in and out of because they are higher (like 26-36 inches). Some people don't like having to step so high to get in and out to take a shower.

That being said you could get any soaking tub and place it in there. To make it a shower I would suggest installing a shower curtain rod---the type that bows outwards. That makes it easy to take a bath or shower.

take a look at some here
»www.fixtureuniverse.com/soaking- ··· 511.html
»www.americanstandard-us.com/prod ··· bathing/
--
Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war

Jim
Premium
join:2003-02-10
reply to Ken
flange?

Ours does. If I remember correctly it is about 1" wide if not more. I won't comment on how much the tub is used. It's a corner type (5' x 5') that someone important wanted. There is a separate shower in the bathroom too.
--

Ken
Premium,MVM
join:2003-06-16
Markle, IN
said by Jim:

flange?

Ours does. If I remember correctly it is about 1" wide if not more.

A lot of the jetted tubs don't have the flange, soaking tubs seem easier to find that come with the flange.

Jim
Premium
Frankly, I'm surprised. It seems like it should be standard when water is involved.
--

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1
I believe Ken See Profile was talking about a flange that turns up behind the tile. Many of the jetted tubs just have the horizontal top surface and do not turn up. Personally I would never have a jetted tub if it were the day to day normal bath tub also for cleaning reasons mentioned.

Jim
Premium
I know what he was talking about. Our 'jetted tub' has a flange that turns up against the wall and is covered by tile.

I'm sorry for taking this OT.
--

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to datguy11
»www.jacuzzi.com/baths/options/mo ··· ree-6032

Installed this in my last house...

Nice and deep - I got it from Lowe's as a stock item.

It has a tile-lip, it's meant as a replacement for a standard alcove-tub...

telco_mtl is dead on, though - can't use bubbles or bath-oils in jet tubs... Or at least it's not recommended.

We use our jet-tub as our regular shower in this house as well, no problems; but the jets do get used fairly often, as well... I'm also pretty good about cleaning it - I run jet-tub cleaner through every 3 months or so - it's a powdered cleaner you mix with hot-water and run through the tub, cleans out mineral build-up and 'stuff' from the pipes and pump.

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY
reply to datguy11
Another thing to think about is that these tubs taking a lot more water to fill up. You may need a larger water heater to provide sufficient water for it.

datguy11

@verizon.net
Hmmm.. I guess bath salts would be ok... I did see some "new" tubs at lowes and HD that are almost "maintenance free" i forgot how they advertised that one....

I have a 50 gallon hi input hot water tank...

dcurrey
Premium
join:2004-06-29
reply to datguy11
One other item to consider that no one has mentioned is electric. I don't know what codes are required for jetted tubs. If heated also I would think a dedicated circuit might be in order.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to datguy11
Jetted tubs need to be run often because of mold that grows in the pipes. Moist environment and the piping never fully empties from what I can tell.

Not sure we would buy a house with another one...
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to dcurrey
Depends - I've seen some that even require two dedicated circuits; one for the pump and controls, one for the heater...

ArgMeMatey

join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Ken
said by Ken:

I've heard a lot of negative things over the years about using a jetted tub as a regular shower. I have no first hand experience, but from what I understand each shower puts a small amount of steam and warm water into the jets and the pipes where it grows mold because those pipes never get flushed out on a regular basis.

Jetted tubs come in two varieties that I'm aware of: The ones with pumps and the ones with blowers. Either way, you have to follow a cleaning regimen regularly to keep mold and mildew at bay, but my comments are limited to my experience with an air-jetted tub.

The tub we have, has a purge cycle that runs every 24 hours to blow any residual water out. Every once in a while the power goes out and I forget to reset the purge function, and then I wonder what kind of gunk is going to come blowing out when I turn it back on. If you had a shower, you might be concerned about steam and dirt but IF the air holes are high enough so they don't fill with shower water that's on its way to the drain, I wouldn't predict big problems as long as you clean and disinfect regularly.

For the air-jetted tub, the cleaning process involves filling the tub above the holes with water, using vinegar OR bleach (not both at the same time, I hope that's clear) and then running the blower in short cycles to let the solution flow in and blow out repeatedly. You'll know if you're not cleaning enough when you are in the bathroom while it's purging, and it stinks.

BainUltra actually sells bath oils, so they encourage using them. I do not encourage using them, as long as I'm cleaning the bath, the towels and the floor, but bubble bath is no problem at all - you can get huge bubble masses and kids love it.

The downside of the air-jetted tubs is the blower noise and the fact that hot air carries nowhere near enough BTUs to keep the water hot. Also if you like that feeling of the water jet hitting your back or legs, the air jet is not going to do it for you.

I would recommend a hand shower and slide bar for ease of cleaning and rinsing people and the tub.

I have no idea if anybody makes any air-jetted tub that would replace a standard tub.

»www.bainultra.com/our-products
--
USNG:
16TDN2870
Find your USNG coordinates:
USNGWeb

markf

join:2008-01-24
Burlington, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·ELECTRONICBOX
·Execulink Telecom
reply to datguy11
I installed a jetted tub and the comments about cleaning are accurate.

Not to mention the fact that in the few years we've had it, after the novelty wore off, the jets have rarely been turned on.

I did run a dedicated circuit for the blower (in fact 14/3 wire and have two circuits). One was to be for a heater, but because we rarely use it, it's not worth it.

Right now I have an electric heater in the second circuit, which is nice, but if I were doing it again, I'd save the money and buy a soaker.

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:13
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
reply to datguy11
F__k all this noise!
Go get a hot tub and large supply of St. James Velvet Red.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO
reply to datguy11
Very informative thread. I never thought about not being able to use bubble bath, or mold issues from infrequent use, although it certainly makes sense. We have a hot tub, so jets in the bath would be kind of redundant anyway.
--
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
reply to datguy11
wow I can't help here but crazy I just visit this thread and I go to Amazon and I've got jacuzzi tub's showing for items to consider.

Hmmm maybe that's hinting at something

One thing it seems like a a lot of work to keep the insides clean by just reading here.