Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

flood404

join:2013-01-21
Davenport, IA

[IA] Mediacom DMCA question.

Its for a friend of mine.

This is what I know what happened over 2 years ago he got one DMCA notice which said to delete this file and stop sharing it. Which he had a wireless router at the time which was not secured there was others computers logged into it. In which I secured it for him to prevent others from using the wireless network.

Then 2 years later he got another router because the secured one was dropping connections.

So he bought a new one which its default setting was not secured which he was using it that way for a month on accident and came another notice which he had infringed in another file. Which his internet was shut off until the paper was signed to get it back on.

Then a year went by then that router went out and he had to borrow a old router from another friend to get him by in which the wireless was also unsecured and was using it for the last month. He forgot to have me secure the router when he installed himself.

Then today he got 5 more DMCA letters from CEG TEK International which does have the right IP on the notice but there is no file names on any of the notices like the last two had.
These papers were dated for last week. But his internet is still active.
In which the internet was down on the 2nd notice before he got the papers on the second notice.

So my question is this.

Does Mediacom do not take action on complaints that do not have
a description of the offending file or a file name on the notice?
Or do they know this CEG TEK International company has sent out bogus notices on other people and did not turn off my friend's internet for that reason.

Then I read conflicting things about 3 strikes and 6 strikes policies on the web also.

Donat76

join:2003-01-26
Oelwein, IA
Mediacom will ban your account permanently and they do not participate in the 6 strikes policy. Be very careful. More then a couple people I know have been permanently banned, as in for life and they do not care about your excuses. If you google search "mediacom dmca" you will find some info. Although Mediacom is not required to shut off your internet connection by law, they do anyways. They are one of if not the most strict ISP in the US regarding this. My friend got 7 in one day because he was downloading tv episodes and he was permanently banned even though this was technically the first notice. That is why everyone around me has switched to Qwest / Centurylink... They will still boot you eventually but I haven't seen anyone get booted from them... yet... I had 2 warnings with mediacom. The first one I knew about and the second one was the neighbor using my wifi. My router didn't default to being locked. I switched to qwest after the second because I didn't want a permaban by accident. Maybe after Mediacom pulls their head out of their ... I might switch back someday but to tell you the truth, I am paying a fraction of the price and have 7mb and can get 12mb which is fast enough for me.

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium,VIP
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL
kudos:118
reply to flood404
Mediacom takes DMCA takedown notices very seriously. We reserve the right to suspend, disable, or disconnect customers for a repeated violation of our Terms of Use or Acceptable Use Policies. That being said, if a DMCA violation is truly in error and not attributable to your internet connection, you can file a counter notification with us, which we will forward on to the copyright holder listed in the original complaint to review.
--
MediacomChad
»mediacomcable.com/CustomerSupport/

flood404

join:2013-01-21
Davenport, IA
reply to flood404
Thanks Chad I will forward this info to my friend.

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL
kudos:118
You are welcome!