Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

markus82

@217.113.177.x
reply to swintec

Re: Is DD-WRT's QoS very functional?

said by swintec:

I did not like it. In my implementation of it you had to take your total upload speed from ISP and then subtract a percentage and put that number in the QoS settings. This meant that you will never get your full upload speed because DDWRT kept it constantly reserved just in case. No thanks. Their reasoning in the docs for it was that no ISP gives the max speeds all the time. I guess i am just lucky that I do?

I think Tomato has a much better implementation of it.

@swintec

obviosly you have no idea of the basic theory of qos

»www.tldp.org/HOWTO/html_single/T···-general

»lartc.org/howto/lartc.qdisc.html

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS

said by markus82 :

@swintec

obviosly you have no idea of the basic theory of qos

I may not know the nitty gritty of it, no but I do know that my TrendNet router from years ago (using factory firmware) simply needed the ISP provided max upload speed and it took care of the rest. The version of DDWRT I used required specifying a lower upload speed than what is actually provided by the ISP which i was expected to accept and let the 20-30% sit unused until the device I needed QoS on was used. My Asus router now also works very similar to my Trendnet. Maybe I was just spoiled early on and have to high of expectations for QoS?

EDIT- From DD-WRT setup guide: »www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Qu···_Service

" It is required that you enter 80% of the values you measure into the proper field. After you have everything set run the speed test again. If you get 80% of your previous measurement in each direction then things are cool. If you get results which are way off then chances are that you have reversed these values."

I have a 5 MBit upload speed that I enjoy. Why would I accept only being able to use 4 MBits all the time?
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

markus82

@217.113.177.x

As you can read in the manuals i posted it is necessary to cap the max-bandwith a little for QoS to be able to work. This is also mentioned in the discussion garys_2k posted before.
Well 20% generally is a very high value which isn't required in most cases. Commonly 5-10% is way enough to get QoS run smooth. In general, as smaller your real speed provided by your isp, as more you should cap (up to 20%)!

On the other hand, how would you know that your tp-link or asus firmware internally do not cap the max-bandwidth you entered without your knowing? Just for prevent their users for making a common mistake of beginners configuring QoS.

Here an example how tomato suggests how to set your max bandwidth (»tomatousb.org/tut:using-tomato-s-qos-system - Section Bottleneck No1:

If your PC('s) can be slowed down so that they send data to the
 router at a slower rate then your router can send it to the ISP,
 we ensure that there will always be some free space in the
 buffer. This is the reason I recommend you to set the
 Max Outbound" bandwidth in QOS-BASIC to
 approximately 85%, or even less, of the maximum
  real  (measured) uplink speed.

You see the pattern here? Your argument is delusive. I don't impute you act in bad faith, just allude to your lack of knowledge regarding this topic.

Anyhow, back to topic:

DD-WRT's and Tomato's QoS basically follows two different philosophies.
During Tomato tries to get their users as much control about the mechanism as possible, DD-WRT tries to offer their uses a easy to use QoS which doesn't require a major knowledge about the functionality of QoS in general.

In fact, Tomatos implementation is much more flexible and allows complex scenarios which can't achieved by DD-WRT's solution just like that. But this comes in lack of its usability. A well configured QoS requires a deeper knowledge about how the mechanisms of QoS work in the background.

DD-WRT's QoS on the other hand allows unversed users to achieve their commonly simple requirements without the need of studying long manuals and much theoretical stuff about traffic shaping.

So in conclusion: If you have complex requirements to the bandwidth management and don't fear to struggle with long manuals Tomato might be the right choice for you.
But if you have only simple tasks like limit that and that ip-address or prioritize my voip-calls over my children's torrent use, and all this without much effort, then DD-WRT is the better approach

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS

said by markus82 :

On the other hand, how would you know that your tp-link or asus firmware internally do not cap the max-bandwidth you entered without your knowing? Just for prevent their users for making a common mistake of beginners configuring QoS.

Back when I had the Trendnet my upload speeds were always spot on for what the ISP provided me. I think it was less than 512 kbps(!). I was able to saturate that all day every day but as soon as I picked up the phone to make a call the upload speed for my machine that was pegging it was scaled back without issue by the router. As soon as I hung up my full upload speeds returned to normal.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

SCADAGeo

join:2012-11-08
N California
kudos:2
reply to markus82

said by markus82 :

Well 20% generally is a very high value which isn't required in most cases.
---
DD-WRT's QoS on the other hand allows unversed users to achieve their commonly simple requirements without the need of studying long manuals and much theoretical stuff about traffic shaping.

I believe 20% is a very conservative value, and a good _starting_ point for tuning, because I believe that the majority will _not_ take the time to gather data points about their real throughput over a period of time...