spc
Search similar:

uniqs
andrecs
join:2011-04-01
Renton, WA

andrecs

Can't cancel "earthlink powered by comcast"

So I have a bizarre problem I can't figure out how to resolve.

I've had "earthlink powered by Comcast" HSI now for many years. Finally went with a bundle package with Centurylink and got DSL. Thus, I need to cancel my earthlink cable HSI.

The service is billed by Comcast but I am technically EarthLink's customer. I called EarthLink to cancel - no big deal, they gave me a confirmation # and I was cancelled. I called Comcast as well just to be sure, but they said they have to wait to get the cancellation from earthlink. That was over 3 weeks ago.

I get my next cable bill and earthlink is still on there. Call Comcast, they say they can't do anything about it because earthlink has to cancel it. Called earthlink, they say they can't do anything because Comcast has to turn it off.

Escalated the issue at Comcast and got a call from Comcast exec. office. They say they really can't help me because it's B2B and the Comcast/earthlink setup is considered commercial which the consumer reps have no access to.

Called earthlink back again, they are clueless.. They keep telling me to call Comcast.

Fairly frustrated... Any ideas?
NightOwl2
join:2012-03-19

NightOwl2

Is there a modem to be returned?
andrecs
Renton, WA

andrecs

No, I own the modem...
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC

cramer to andrecs

Premium Member

to andrecs
a) Get them both on the phone at the same time.

b) switch the internet to Comcast, and then cancel it.
andrecs
Renton, WA

andrecs

I wish it was that simple.. Comcast would likely not sign me up. Getting them both on the line at the same time could be tough. What I really need is how to contact the department in comcast that has the power to turn it off. Because it seems like this is some all-secret group (B2B or commercial group..)

sonofjay
Mission Accomplished - Bush May 1, 2003
MVM
join:2001-05-14
Malden, MA

sonofjay to andrecs

MVM

to andrecs
I cancelled Earthlink powered by comcast 8 months ago. The problem is the rep at Earthlink did not cancel your account correctly. They are supposed to take your information, cancel your account and then while you are still on the phone transfer you over to Comcast and inform the Comcast rep who is canceling and why. Then you will finish the disconnect with Comcast and be done. I actually received one more bill from Comcast as I was close to my normal billing date when I canceled but a few weeks later I received 'Final Bill" that showed that I was owed a credit. I received a check for the credit about a month later.

Call Earthlink back and get them to do the cancel process correctly and transfer you over to Comcast while the rep is still on the phone with you. As to speak to a manager if you have to.

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium Member
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY

PhoenixDown to andrecs

Premium Member

to andrecs
I have found that earthlink doesn't sync with TWC (and I assume comcast) and I had an issue where my records were going out of sync and I kept loosing my internet service as they didn't think I was a customer. I had a hellava time dealing with it. Good luck in your efforts.
andrecs
Renton, WA

andrecs to sonofjay

to sonofjay
Yes, I've tried that - multiple times. Each earthlink customer serv. rep is totally clueless and just keep telling me their system shows its cancelled and they can't do anything else. I spoke to a manager whom I then asked to call comcast - he put me on hold for 45 minutes (I just had it on speaker while I was working) and finally came back and told me he got disconnected by comcast. Most of the earthlink reps speak very little english and are very hard to communicate with. It's clear their call center is overseas.

Right now, I am having better luck with comcast. I finally got it escalated to their executive team, did some posting within the comcast forums which got the attention of their social media person. I have a dedicated person their now working on it who, after calling earthlink herself, finally starting taking me seriously. So I am starting to have higher hopes, but it's not solved yet!

Thanks for the replies, though...

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium Member
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY

PhoenixDown

Premium Member

I'll be cancelling soon too, I may be following in your steps!