spc
Search similar:

uniqs

WhyNotthis
@start.ca

WhyNotthis

Anon

opinions on Acanac ?

I came across Acanac today by chance when checking out RFD and I see that they have some really nice unlimited usage cable internet packages. Anyone using them lately have anything to say about them and does anyone in the Sarnia area use their services ? When I did the postal code check it said there was cable service in my area but from what I have read they are Rogers/Bell. Please anyone with their service here in Sarnia if it is possible please respond.

Update2day
@start.ca

Update2day

Anon

I guess they don't service Sarnia but their sister company or something does ? Distributel ?
vincom
join:2009-03-06
Bolton, ON

vincom to WhyNotthis

to WhyNotthis
thet have awful tech support, if you call expect to wait and/or be cut off, you can email them w/probs and they'll respond within 48 hrs
if it works , then your golden, if having probs, disaster
theres plenty of reviews on them
darrinmc9
join:2008-12-09
n1rw7w

darrinmc9 to WhyNotthis

to WhyNotthis
I too waiting for recent opinions on Acanac for the Cambridge area. Pricing about to go up on cable everywhere so I'm thinking of doing the 1 yr at $39.99 to test it out. I hover between 250-300gb month.

See too many complaints about evening congestion at Teksavvy and I heard they won't grandfather a 300gb plan if I signup now as I expect their caps to change. Start has no ceiling on cap overage which are too low to begin with.

I'd even consider rogers if I can get a decent cap/price.
Samgee
join:2010-08-02
canada

Samgee to WhyNotthis

to WhyNotthis
Acanac customer for a couple years in Kitchener here. I haven't been happier with any other provider. I've had only a couple issues with the connection during my time with them, and all problems were corrected in a more than reasonable timeline. Support is handled most effectively through a ticketing system, which I've always gotten quick answers to. You can't beat the price for unlimited when you pay for the year up front (which I've done twice now) and it's not a contract so if you're unhappy you can leave at anytime (don't fee like you're locked in).

Speeds recently have been slightly reduced during peak times, but not to the point of impacting anything you would use the connection for. I can watch a few streams and surf the internet in the evening just fine. You can't beat the free VPN service or only PC/storage either.

I left Rogers because I couldn't stand having to watch my downloads and didn't want to end up spending $100 a month for internet with their increased overage cap. Even now with Rogers offering unlimited for $30, Acanac is still a much much better deal.

If you are thinking of signing up, I would do so ASAP, prices will be increased due to the recent rulings by the end of this week.
vincom
Bolton, ON

4 edits

vincom to darrinmc9

to darrinmc9
said by darrinmc9:

I too waiting for recent opinions on Acanac for the Cambridge area. Pricing about to go up on cable everywhere so I'm thinking of doing the 1 yr at $39.99 to test it out. I hover between 250-300gb month.

See too many complaints about evening congestion at Teksavvy and I heard they won't grandfather a 300gb plan if I signup now as I expect their caps to change. Start has no ceiling on cap overage which are too low to begin with.

I'd even consider rogers if I can get a decent cap/price.

my house hold of 5 use between 300-500gb/mnth w/6mb dsl
paying now $37+tx 6mb dsl, $30+tx pots
will cancel both of the above and use voip from freephoneline, we hardly ever use the damn phone anyways w/ 5 cellphones in the house.

just signed up w/rogers, $66 +tx express 25/2 w/unlimited usage, free modem rental/free install, its the only service i have/getting from rogers
6mnth promo deal, can call to cancel from 1week to 5month to see if they will continue/better the offer
if not, by then aggregate should be fully done i then can goto to an indie like start or tsi, i need fast tech support(wife works online) if having issues so no acanac for me

mkom
@afmg.org

mkom to WhyNotthis

Anon

to WhyNotthis
Acanac has been a GREAT ISP for me.
vincom
Bolton, ON

vincom

said by mkom :

i dont want to take a chance after reading user comments from their own forums and even on dslreports forum
julienvf
join:2008-12-30
Verdun, QC
Cisco SPA112
TP-Link TD-W8960N
Technicolor DCM475

1 edit

julienvf to WhyNotthis

to WhyNotthis
Great ISP here in Vidéotron land! Had them for over 6 years and I get it free for life due to my 49 referrals so far... Clients are all satisfied on the cable side but on DSL, it's the usual Bell BS like being booted off a remote, bad line stats that Bell don't want to fix, etc. Get cable, you should not be disapointed.

mkom
@afmg.org

mkom to vincom

Anon

to vincom
I haven't had a single issue in two years.
vincom
Bolton, ON

vincom

distrubtel or acanac
i know there owned by the same company

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to vincom

Premium Member

to vincom
Bzzzzt wrong.
I called last to check if a modem was supported by them.
I hate waiting, keyed in my phone number and was called back in about 20m. I got my answers without being "cut off", nor was it "awful".
Samgee
join:2010-08-02
canada

Samgee to vincom

to vincom
said by vincom:

said by mkom :

i dont want to take a chance after reading user comments from their own forums and even on dslreports forum

You may want to put negative reviews into perspective. It's quite often for those with issues to come forward, and very rare for those with good experiences to take the time to write about them on forums. I am very glad I took the chance, despite my similar concerns about others experiences.

best
@acanac.net

best

Anon

best isp i've ever had.
free upgrade to 11Mbit for my 3xMLPPP soon
If bell isn't in denial about the 3 adsl2+ (or greater) within 1500 meters (wire)
darrinmc9
join:2008-12-09
n1rw7w

darrinmc9 to WhyNotthis

to WhyNotthis
I agree, I do not see many negative experiences when it comes to performance. It only seems to be billing issues with auto renewals etc, trying to cancel, using an older modem etc. I took the plunge today and ordered the 1 year subscription with Acanac knowing that I can still cancel any time during the year. This buys me time until the cable market becomes competitive with caps, which it isn't right now. A year later maybe fibe will be available, I'm sure people will flock back to DSL for consistent performance and affordable higher caps. Yes I need to use their Huwaie modem but it is also supported by Teksavvy and Start should I decide to switch. I will post my experience compared to by current stable DSL 6M/800 with Teksavvy as I'll let them overlap for a month. Ultimately the big media players are laughing at us now that they have full control of Canada and can manipulate the market at will. The TPIA have new contracts that they'll be confined to, leaving only a 50gb cap advantage over the big guys, which is not enough reason for most users to switch.

CFoo
join:2008-03-19
Nepean, ON

CFoo to WhyNotthis

to WhyNotthis
I switched in 2009 from Rogers to Acanac DSL. The only big issue I had was during the initial setup with Bell giving me the wrong profile and when i switched over from 5Mbps to 16Mbps. Each time, the problem was taken care of quickly but I used the ticket system and don't bother calling in.

I'm happy very happy with Acanac especially the extra perks such as the free vpn.
camelot
join:2008-04-12
Whitby, ON

camelot to WhyNotthis

to WhyNotthis
Does anyone have experience with their VoIP service? Is it stable/comparable to others such as Primus/VoIP.MS/TekTalk?
julienvf
join:2008-12-30
Verdun, QC

julienvf

I have a line with Acanac and a line with freephoneline and over 30+ customers with freephoneline. They don't call me often, service is great and reliable.

Jeffer71
join:2008-09-13
Carrying Place, ON

Jeffer71 to WhyNotthis

to WhyNotthis
I have 2 bonded lines set up with them at home and a business account as well. Overall the service is great, can't beat the price and they have lots of extras for free. Tech support is lacking, thankfully I have a level 2 tech friend so I'm able to bypass the call in mess on the rare occasion I have issues.

As long as you have basic understanding of your hardware and the issues that arise and are able to somewhat troubleshoot on your own you'll be able to fix most problems easily yourself.

If however you get stuck calling in, have lots of patience...you''ll need it.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer to best

Premium Member

to best
My neighbour has been with Acanac for years. The last time I suggested TekSavvy she went pale and threatened to not speak to me - loves Acanac and would never switch..

FWIW.

Mike
vincom
Bolton, ON

vincom

well then i might try them out when they go aggregate, just signed up w/robbers for 25/2 unlimited free modem rental, free install, 6month discount price $66+tx, no contract can cancel anytime, cant do dsl as belly only has 6mb in my area