Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

3 edits

1 recommendation

DocDrew to tonyram57

Premium Member

to tonyram57

Re: Does the leased SB6141 only get firmware updated?

No they just get it from the modem maker directly and then test it themselves for a few weeks or months to make sure it actually fixes known problems and doesn't cause any new ones.

ISPs like to push new firmware as little as possible because if it ain't broke don't mess with it. At most, you may see them push one update (or two if its a major emergency) a year. TWC didn't start pushing out 1.0.6.3 too long ago. Meanwhile Motorola pushes out a new one every 2-3 months which is way more frequent the any provider is willing to push them out. Newer doesn't always mean better.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

I thought 1.0.6.3 was the ORIGINAL firmware that came from the factory on the SB 6141. You are saying that is not true? It is dated Aug 2011. So, did the modem come with that firmware or did TWC put that on it? I think it came with it because it was a brand new modem in its factory box with all the instructions etc in the box when Oceanic handed it to me at the office end of last Nov after they were out to upgrade me to DOCSIS 3 20/2 (can't use DOCSIS 2 modem on 20/2) and give me a new modem (which I didn't like..it was that surfboard gateway, wireless one so I exchanged it the next day).

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

3 edits

DocDrew

Premium Member

For sure 6120s and 6121s didn't come with 1.0.6.3 and they've been updated. Older (May/June 2011) 6141 did not ship with 1.0.6.3, in fact 6141s originally shipped with 1.0.6.0, while more current black models have shipped with 1.0.6.3. Newer (white) 6141s seem to be shipping with an even newer firmware version then 1.0.6.3.

The age the modem was shipped by Moto certainly affects what firmware is on it. Seems they learned not to ship modems with old firmware so they don't get burned like the did with the 1.0.1.8 fiasco...

Don't worry though, Moto should have a newer version that no one has yet out by next month anyway.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Oceanic is currently only giving out the two Surfboards (the other is the gateway one the number I keep forgetting) for 20/2, 30/5 and 50/5 tiers so they likely would have current models. (I think they have a a different brand though if you also have TWC phone so you don't have to have two modems like for awhile but those without TWC phone are given one of two Surfboards).

They had a big stack of them all in factory boxes never used yet when I picked up this one...maybe they had just gotten a new shipment ...I was lucky to get a new modem not used by anyone.

Yes, I know Motorola seems to issue new firmware revisions VERY frequently. Indicates a lot of bugs to be issuing so frequent revisions.