joako
Premium Member
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null

joako to rradina

Premium Member

to rradina

Re: Stuck w/ATT?

This is supposed to be hardcoded to use the OnStar service and not your own SIM card.

I've read about the older system how you COULD go to Verizon and activate the device on its own line but what happens is you buy blocks of minutes from OnStar and it downloads that to the module in the car and based on that it allows or disallows you to dial out.

I did manage to convert the "BMW Assist" in my car to be a Verizon prepaid phone.
rradina
join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

rradina

OnStar and voice is one thing but when they start talking about offering a WiFi hotspot, I would prefer to have a replaceable module in the car that enables me to choose the carrier of my choice.

If the dashtronics (my word for a smart dash) is based on Linux or some embedded Windows kernel, one would think it could be easy to implement the cell data connection by using an OTS, swappable USB-based modem. For the cannot-live-without-internet addicted customers, my wireless router (Asus NT66U) supports various USB modems for backup when the wired Internet goes down. If a $160 wireless router can support plug-n-play USB 3G/4G wireless modems, surely this isn't rocket science for the car people.