uniqs

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

Brady: winning over money

Not sure how often this happens, but here is it:
quote:
Feb 25 (Reuters) - Quarterback Tom Brady has agreed to a bargain three-year, $27 million contract extension that will keep him with the NFL's New England Patriots through the 2017 season, Sports Illustrated reported on Monday.

The two-time National Football League (NFL) Most Valuable Player who led New England to three Super Bowl titles, will get a $3 million signing bonus plus salaries of $7 million in 2015, $8 million in 2016 and $9 million in 2017, the magazine said.

Brady [...] accepted about half the future salary commanded by other top signal callers in order to give the Patriots flexibility to sign other players, according to the report.
»sports.yahoo.com/news/nf ··· nfl.html

The Dv8or
Just call me Dong Suck Oh, M.D.
Premium Member
join:2001-08-09
Denver, CO

The Dv8or

Premium Member

He knows that allowing money under the cap to sign other players will help him win, and it doesnt hurt that his wife brings in $45 million a frickin year.

Silvanos
It's a new Silvanos experience
Premium Member
join:2002-10-07
Tonawanda, NY

Silvanos to aurgathor

Premium Member

to aurgathor
Yes, the cap numbers are lower by $15 million. But that doesn’t mean he reduced his base salary or other compensation.

Instead, it appears that Brady has actually picked up an extra $3 million via the signing bonus paid now as part of his three-year extension. He also has likely had a large amount of his base salary for the next two years converted to a guaranteed payment, which allows cap dollars to be pushed to future years.

So did he take less this year or next year? No way. Will he take less in 2015, 2016, or 2017? We’ll see.

»profootballtalk.nbcsport ··· ys-deal/

Moorecards
join:2001-10-19
Martinsburg, WV

Moorecards to aurgathor

to aurgathor
»espn.go.com/boston/nfl/s ··· l-source

Tom Brady nearly doubles guarantees

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

Looks to me, based on analyses from elsewhere, it wasn't really a case of altruism from Brady, and I shouldn't have been so quick to post it.

I guess as a defense I can claim that:
a) I have not seen the actual contract
b) I'm not familiar with NFL contracts (and money )

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium Member
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY

Rook008 to aurgathor

Premium Member

to aurgathor
So he still gets paid and the team gets some cap relief.
Seems like a win-win situation for everybody except the other 3 teams in the AFC East.

capecoddah
join:2005-03-18
Yarmouth Port, MA

capecoddah to aurgathor

to aurgathor
And Flacco still isn't "Elite".

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium Member
join:2012-10-18

Blogger to aurgathor

Premium Member

to aurgathor
said by aurgathor:

Looks to me, based on analyses from elsewhere, it wasn't really a case of altruism from Brady, and I shouldn't have been so quick to post it.

I guess as a defense I can claim that:
a) I have not seen the actual contract
b) I'm not familiar with NFL contracts (and money )

All good defenses but especially defense "b."

Neither you or I and probably few others that post here ever fly at the financial "altitude" associated with Brady and all that he is involved in and with.

Edge1
But these go to 11.
Premium Member
join:2006-03-01
USA

Edge1 to capecoddah

Premium Member

to capecoddah
said by capecoddah:

And Flacco still isn't "Elite".

Perhaps some Preparation H will settle down some of that rectal pain you're experiencing.

fatness
subtle

join:2000-11-17
fishing

fatness to aurgathor

to aurgathor
Tom Brady's new deal guarantees him up to $57 million from Patriots

Tom Brady nearly doubles guarantees
quote:
The new contract also provides Brady more financial protection in the event he suffers a career-ending injury in 2013, increasing the money guaranteed to him from $25 million to $57 million.

rockotman
...Blown On The Steel Breeze
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06
DSotM

rockotman

Premium Member

And what is to keep Brady and the Pats from "redoing" the contract come 2015 when he is scheduled to go the lower figures of between $7M and $9M per year for years '15, '16, & '17?

Nothing.

The only down-side is for the Patriots. If Brady decides to retire, or for whatever reason cannot play, the Pats will have to take the salary cap hit for those years in the amount of the prorated portion of the signing bonus money he is getting paid now. A $33M (I think that was the amount) singing bonus now prorates to $6.6M hit against the cap for each of the 5 years for the new contract.

And if he is still active and starting for those last three years, you can bet that they will rejigger the contract at that time to pay him what it is worth.

It's actually a pretty good move on behalf of both parties. If the Pats decide to not redo his contract in three years, they only take a the negotiated salary for each of those years plus the 6.6 signing bonus hit in each of those years; He has the choice of playing for the reduced amount or holding out. If he holds out, is released, or is traded, the hit to the cap is only $6.6M Either way, he still has his guaranteed moola, and the Pats got a good financial deal. If they do redo his contract, he gets even more moola.

It's looks like a win/win for each party. But to portray is as Brady taking an altruistic path for the good of the team is just pure marketing BS.

fatness
subtle

join:2000-11-17
fishing

fatness

said by rockotman:

It's looks like a win/win for each party. But to portray is as Brady taking an altruistic path for the good of the team is just pure marketing BS.

Yeah, I agree with both parts of that.