spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

EastYorkUser

join:2013-02-26
Toronto, ON

Distributel - Absurd Business Development!

Distributel took over 3WEB and are treating the old users very badly. They are asking them to buy modem again even if they purchased it already from 3WEB.

Nonsense business development!

Mike2009

join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
kudos:3

I'm not surprised. Last year I got a bill from Distrubutel for a modem that I returned to 3web 5 years before.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
reply to EastYorkUser

I think they have a messed up billng system.
i got an email saying my cc is about to expire , in 2yrs time.

d_source

join:2011-01-18
reply to EastYorkUser

I think I got a $170 credit in the mess up. I'm not complaining.

DuPie

@distributel.net
reply to EastYorkUser

How long ago was the modem purchased? 3web was purchased by Distributel a few years ago now.

A 3+ year old DSL or Cablemodem won't work very well on new networks (Docsis3 or adsl2) and won't support the newer speeds as ISPs upgrade networks.

If you bought one less than a year ago well that's a different story.

Any more details?

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2

I brought my SB 5100 over 4yrs ago with me to 3web.
It's tapped out at 28mb but it works fine .

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to DuPie

said by DuPie :

How long ago was the modem purchased? 3web was purchased by Distributel a few years ago now.

A 3+ year old DSL or Cablemodem won't work very well on new networks (Docsis3 or adsl2) and won't support the newer speeds as ISPs upgrade networks.

If you bought one less than a year ago well that's a different story.

Any more details?

ADSL2+ is an old standard (and on its way out), ADSL2+ modems have bee around for a decade now, so no, a modem bought 3 years ago for ADSL will still work (as long as it was ADSL2+). VDSL packages are where you'd require a new modem purchase, if and when they allow BYOD for VDSL.

With cable modems, it depends if he's on a tier that requires channel bonding or not. If it does, it's recommended they buy a D3 modem even if he can get the same speeds at D2, D3 makes things simpler.

DuPie

@distributel.net

VDSL makes me happy, but I'm still partial to cablemodem but good points. yeah i suspect it's a technology reason.

koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW

join:2005-01-08
East York, ON
Reviews:
·VMedia
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to elwoodblues

said by elwoodblues:

I brought my SB 5100 over 4yrs ago with me to 3web.
It's tapped out at 28mb but it works fine .

Rogers is refusing to update any D2 modems for the new speeds, so I can see them asking everyone to move to D3 modems.
Expand your moderator at work

Jurjen

join:2010-08-18
Montreal, QC
reply to TypeS

Re: Distributel - Absurd Business Development!

said by TypeS:

VDSL packages are where you'd require a new modem purchase, if and when they allow BYOD for VDSL.

For the moment, Bell has it's own VDSL standard, so impossible to BYOD: forced to buy a Sagemcom. Although, last month a technician told me that Bell is changing things, so in some while BYOD could become an option.

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5
reply to DuPie

said by DuPie :

A 3+ year old DSL or Cablemodem won't work very well on new networks (Docsis3 or adsl2)

ADSL2+ has been around for ~10 years so there are plenty of 7+ years old ADSL2 modems out there.

For VDSL2, it may take a while longer to smooth out the various tariff kinks that currently make it much more expensive than it should be... apart from activation and other fees, there is also lack of 10GbE and LAG or other form of load-sharing likely forces ISPs to buy ~30% more CBB than they would otherwise need - a hidden fee that rarely gets mentioned as such in CNOC&friends CRTC filings and usually gets dismissed as "passing down the risks of network capacity management" by Bell when it does get mentioned.

BTC Kevin

join:2011-10-01
Nepean, ON
kudos:1
reply to EastYorkUser

OP has a docsis 2.0 modem.

Most of cable network carriers which provide the wholesale residential termination services to independents current now only allow docsis 2.0 modems to be used for the 6.0mbps line rates. Any speed higher requires docsis 3.0 to be approved for use.