spc
Search similar:

uniqs

DKM
@bhn.net

DKM

Anon

[CFL] Connecting Ubee DVW3201B to Netgear WNDR3300

I have Brighthouse Ubee modem as main modem with wifi access point enabled. It is in central closet and I have run hardwire cables to certain locations, including one where my desktop, TV, PS3, and Network Printer are located. Because of the location, I do not want to run more than one cable to this location, but I need to connect the desktop, TV, PS3, and the Printer to the Ubee and still be able to access all four from another computer or device either hardwired to the Ubee or connecting to the Ubee through the wifi. Right now, I have my old Netgear WNDR3300v1 connected to the Ubee through the WAN port (because I need all 4 LAN ports as described above). I get internet access OK, though the ping is always 20 or higher and sometimes I loose signal to the TV / PS3 when streaming videos. However, the biggest problem is that I cannot see the network printer from anything except the desktop. So, if I connect wirelessly with my laptop, it cannot find the printer (or anything else) through the Netgear router. I have firewall disabled, NAT set to Open, on the Netgear. I have tried to make it as close to a freeflow both ways as I could, but still can't see through it. Any help with how to configure this would be appreciated. Because of the layout of the house and where my stuff is, I have to be able to hardwire and wireless connect to the Ubee, so I can't make the netgear be the main router and I need all four LAN ports for the devices I need to plug in at the Ubee. Do I need to put a switch in place of the Netgear or is there some settings that I can do to make it work in its current configuration?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

If you need the additional switch ports beyond the 4 on the Ubee and you still want to use the Ubee as your router/wireless then yes replace the Netgear with an 8 port gigabit switch. You should also consider using Homeplugs to expand your wired footprint without pulling cable.
Mack4
join:2013-02-26

Mack4

thanks. switch should be here tomorrow. appreciate the help and quick response.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to DKM

Premium Member

to DKM
If you need help let me know...
Mack4
join:2013-02-26

Mack4

What should the ping be if I have good connection? Right now it is in the 20s and sometimes when I do a speed test at speedtest.net it will come back with 8mbs or something ridiculously low. I have the 60mbs Lightning so I should never be having speeds like that I wouldn't think. Is this likely related to the dual router setup I have and will be rectified once I put the switch in? Also, is the Ubee modem/router combo the best router Brighthouse has? Should I try to get something else? Final question (thanks for your patience)--would you keep the Ubee as the main router and wireless or is there way to and would you connect the Ubee as just the modem to the Netgear WNDR 3300v1 and let the Netgear be the main router? I guess I am asking which router do you think is better or any difference at all? Thanks.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to DKM

Premium Member

to DKM
I would not use the 3300 as my primary router but that is just me...I'll leave that decision to you.