how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

cableties
Premium
join:2005-01-27

[Northeast] Fios with Apple Routers...

Ok, just need someone to verify I am setting this up correct.
I have newer 150Mbs tripleplay Actiontec router (red).

I need to have wifi cover the home, but it is difficult (stone, cement floor, sub-level, metal). So I have ethernet jacks at strategic locations. (at which I will put repeating/roaming APs ..Airport Extreme or Airport Express)

From this: »support.apple.com/kb/ht4145#

I am going to to choose roaming (APs connected via ethernet)

DO I need to do anything special with the VZ router?
I want to avoid double NAT. I won't need the VZ to do wifi as (three Airport extremes and new express) the apple stuff will distribute. (BTW, the VZ router is isolated so it doesn't reach anything with wifi so I can turn broadcasting off)

I will take an enet port from the Actiontec to the main AEBS (airport Extreme Base Station). That will then feed to a 10/100/1000 switch, which then will only connect with the other AEBS units. All those set to bridge mode.

BTW, Apple's newer Airport utility is easy to use from an iPad but I hate it compared to previous version. Not granular.

So basically, VZ Actiontec to Wan port of AEBS (main). Then Enet port one of AEBS (main) to switch which then feeds to WAN of the remaining AEBS and those set to bridge (with identical SSID name, WPA2 pwd and device password). Nothing else should plug into VZ Actiontec, yes?

Thanks. (I noticed that I had the Actiontec rebooting or shutting down from something on the network (older Airport express may have flapped). Or something doublenat'd caused it to go to just Red Power LED only? (once I took all off it, it came back to life...)

Thanks for any input. Msg if easier.
--
Splat

kes601

join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA
kudos:2

From that article, roaming is correct, but -- Setup all your base stations in bridge mode since the Actiontec is acting as the router. If you do this you will not have to worry about double natting.

I have 2 Airport Extremes setup like you are planning to do.

cableties
Premium
join:2005-01-27

Kes, thanks.
I'll put them all in bridge, even the main.
--
Splat

brownd

join:2007-01-05
Fanwood, NJ
reply to kes601

kes601, could I bother you please to show me the configuration you have on these. I have been struggling with doing this very thing. I set my Fios encryption to WAP2 to make the airport express devices work with my current wireless network. They seem to struggle with WEP. If you could add a screen shot of the first express (which I assume is hardwired to the router) and then 1 of the others which is wireless, that would be great. I researched and I got a lot of info saying that the first one really needs to be hardwired since it's a non apple network I am trying to extend. I have done that and the green light is on but I configured it as "Extend a wireless network" then the second one is wireless and I configured it as "Join a wireless network"

kes601

Virginia Beach, VA

My setup is different from yours. Wireless is disabled on the Actiontec. AirPort Extreme one is in bridge mode, hardwired to Actiontec. AirPort Extreme two is hardwired to AirPort Extreme one (different floors). Three Airport Expresses connect to Extremes to provide airplay speakers

buckingham
Buckingham Pa
Premium
join:2005-07-17
Buckingham, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to cableties

I use two Apple Airport Express bricks to provide WiFi access throughout the house with similar material challenges, includine 18" thick stone walls in part of the house and a bearing wall between one section and another that never had the foil-faced insulation stripped out when the house was expanded by the previous owner. Actiontec is in the small basement of the stone portion as the router next to the inside ONT and the Apple Airport devices are on upper levels to maximize signal strength over our 4400 sq ft of living space and outside.

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to cableties

So, my configuration is like this:

ActionTec Rev G, with WiFi turned on (Channel 1). WPA2 encryption.

AirPort Extreme upstairs, connected to ActionTec via gigabit Ethernet, in Bridge Mode, with WiFi turned on (Channel 6). WPA2 encryption. SSID and password exactly match ActionTec.

"roaming" between the two from my WiFi devices is completely seamless. Works perfectly whether I'm downstairs or upstairs.

The trick is to have both AP's (Actiontec and Airport) broadcasting the same SSID on different channels.

Great setup - I'm very happy with it.

brownd

Fanwood, NJ
reply to buckingham

Buckingham, could you please explain the config of your 2 airport express devices. If I can't get them to work like I want them (I think the way you have them), I will follow what dennismurphy has done. Thanks guys.

buckingham
Buckingham Pa
Premium
Buckingham, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

I just plugged the Airport Express APs in. They got their address via DCHP from the Actiontec. I then accessed them via the config utility to setup my network specific preferences for wireless access and security. Honestly, they were the easiest devices I have ever used, for the most part...

brownd

Fanwood, NJ

OK but are they in bridge mode, are they hardwired, wireless etc? Thanks.

buckingham
Buckingham Pa
Premium
Buckingham, PA

Sorry...I misunderstood you. Hard wired, although not "everywhere". 250 year old house, but 21st century wiring.

brownd

Fanwood, NJ

Buckingham
Thanks. I'll play with mine today and set them up like that. I was initially trying to extend my wireless network wirelessly but I think your method is easier. I also like the other option from dennismurphy above. If I follow your method, do I "join a network", "extend a network" or what?

Expand your moderator at work

kes601

Virginia Beach, VA

Re: [Northeast] Fios with Apple Routers...

Or perhaps they make things that just work and not everybody wants to deal with setting up more complicated features when they are not necessary -- even for those of us who could set them up..

brownd

Fanwood, NJ
reply to buckingham

OK, I think I have it working now. The first Airport Express is hard wired and set in bridge mode and set to "join a wireless network" I assume this is what's needed to let the express use my network. The second, third, fourth etc Airport Express devices get setup in bridge mode (wirelessly or wired I assume) and get set to "extend a wireless network". Thus providing a wider network range. Correct?

buckingham
Buckingham Pa
Premium
Buckingham, PA

I haven't used the "extend wireless" mode to-date, so I'm not sure how to guide you there.

Gordo74
Premium
join:2003-10-28
Monroeville, PA
reply to cableties

What I would do is set the ONT to send data over Cat5 and run a Cat 5 cable to the ONT. Then run the cat 5 to the Apple router, then set it up with the actiontec BEHIND the airport. Then the ONLY thing the actiontecs are serving are the DVRs and everything else goes direct through the airports to the internet.

If you put the apple routers BEHIND the actiontec, you can still run into the NAT table issue.

brownd

Fanwood, NJ

I don't suffer from the NAT problem, I just want to extend my wireless coverage.

DBLClick

join:2002-06-07
Manassas, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to cableties

I have a setup exactly how you are attempting to do.

Place the Airports in Bridge mode, this is because they are very lousy firewalls and the Action Tech is better at that function. I chosen to utilize the 5ghz band as my high speed network and 2.4ghz network for regular devices.

The actiontec router will become the DHCP and DNS server for the entire network, in the apple utility you will extend the network over the two routers allowing you to easily move about the house with your devices on the same network.

I do recommend in this configuration that you disable the WiFi on VZ router. so they do not interfere with the Apple routers.

This configuration has served me for three years without issues.

brownd

Fanwood, NJ

Thank you DBLClick. Am I correct in thinking that the first express is (hardwired) "join a wireless network" and the others are (wireless) "extend a wireless network"? I do find them very flaky, often losing their connection to the airport utility running on my PC. I hope they actually perform better when I have them in place.

brownd

Fanwood, NJ
reply to DBLClick

I still can't get this to work. All the instructions I can find online with exact steps to take, assume a base station (airport extreme or time capsule) is in the mix. So, can I please ask for some detailed instructions.
My Fios router has wireless turned on (channel 1). Airport Express connected from lan to lan. To make the roaming network, what settings do I do on the Airport?