Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

xenophon

join:2007-09-17
reply to gigahurtz

Re: I love the idea, but..

said by gigahurtz:

I believe Mozilla is a little late to the party.

This could work as a replacement for featurephones. It only needs a 300-500Mhz processor. Will cost much less for carriers to subsidize so they may push this on the low end.

I like the concept. Many apps on smartphones don't need to be a separate app, like a CNN app. Just do it all in HTML5 but bundle it so that it is downloaded. HTML5 could be bundled and run as a local 'app' offline too. Could be done in a much smaller footprint than a full blown app. To see how powerful HTML5 is, check out web based version of Command and Conquer.

aciddrink

join:2000-08-26
reply to gigahurtz
said by gigahurtz:

They'll need a strong app market and some decent marketing.

This is exactly why I wouldn't even bother buying one of those phones personally. Android has such a wide market of apps now, why would I ever want to switch to a phone that has no apps?

kaila

join:2000-10-11
Lincolnshire, IL
reply to gigahurtz
This is a manufacter/carrier play to differentiate themselves in the marketplace, and it's sweeping the mobile industry worldwide. Samsung's Tizen OS and the upcoming Ubuntu mobile OS are two other examples of this.

gigahurtz
Premium
join:2001-10-20
Palm Coast, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
I believe Mozilla is a little late to the party. I just don't see this grabbing hold long enough for them to get help with funding the marketing of it. iOS and Android have such a firm hold on this area that it's going to be tough to draw anyone away. They'll need a strong app market and some decent marketing. I hope it works out well for them.