share rss forum feed

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:9
reply to moonpuppy

Re: LOL

And that's 99.999% of the problem... they asked Cisco "what do we need" -- never a good idea, btw -- and they came back with what everyone in the tech world knows they would... the most obscenely over designed, expensive bunch of shit they think can be reasonably justified. And the state government either blindly excepted it (Cisco being the experts) or didn't care about it.

They didn't have their own experts to design their network, so they hired (the wrong) "experts" to do it. Never ask a vendor to design your network. And never, EVER agree to list price for anything. (esp. on a contract this large.)

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT

1 recommendation

reply to kontos
said by kontos:

What are you talking about "Failed".

Those guys went out and got $24 MM in free money, and brought "advanced" Internet access to some of the most remote areas of our country.

Buying a $20K router and only hooking a T1 to it isn't bringing "advanced" internet access anywhere.

WireHead
I drive to fast
Premium
join:2001-05-09
Muncie, IN
reply to XANAVirus
said by XANAVirus:

Though, I'm sure you will probably claim somewhere down the line that, by writing 'LOL' as the subject, you are completely immune from any and all criticism because 'it was just a joke.'

Nope, not a joke. I was serious. I know you might find it odd, but people laugh at things that are not jokes but still dang funny.

I think Verizon and Cisco have no fault in this from what I can see, and there may be other circumstances in this, the blame clearly lay at the feet of the politicians. Even the consultant is in the clear, who was hired by the politicians, unless guilty of a crime other than 'sales'. I'm in the business of making myself money, you send me a laundry list of stuff and that's what you'll get. Happy to sell it to you.

Oh, there will be a 30% restocking fee and you pay return shipping. Damaged and opened containers will be refused.
--
Retired BBR Team Starfire Team Q III Host
Live by chance. Love by choice. Kill by profession.

moonpuppy

join:2000-08-21
Glen Burnie, MD
reply to silbaco
said by silbaco:

Technology is all around us. If Politicians don't understand it, they should not be politicians.

Politicians need to know when they are over their heads and hire the right people to guide them.

jjoshua
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Scotch Plains, NJ
kudos:3
reply to WireHead
The real LOL is on all of us for paying outrageous USF fees every month so the money can be wasted on crap like this.

kontos
xyzzy

join:2001-10-04
West Henrietta, NY
reply to XANAVirus
said by XANAVirus:

We pay the price for having an republic - whereupon we rely on our elected representatives to go through all those policies and procedures - and as we can see, they (our representatives) failed in doing so.

What are you talking about "Failed".

Those guys went out and got $24 MM in free money, and brought "advanced" Internet access to some of the most remote areas of our country.

I thought that was what we wanted: The gov't should just go and build out the next-generation of consumer Internet access. That will solve all of our broadband problems.

N3OGH
Yo Soy Col. "Bat" Guano
Premium
join:2003-11-11
Philly burbs
kudos:2
reply to WireHead
It's not just the people of WV who pay. Federal money went into the project.

We all pay.....

BTW, how is the FASTING going?
--
Petty people are disproportionally corrupted by petty power

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA
reply to XANAVirus
Technology is all around us. If Politicians don't understand it, they should not be politicians.

itguy05

join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA
reply to XANAVirus
said by XANAVirus:

It's not necessarily the voters who accepted these awful 'bids' by Verizon and Cisco, is it?

We pay the price for having an republic - whereupon we rely on our elected representatives to go through all those policies and procedures - and as we can see, they (our representatives) failed in doing so.

The problem is that politicians may be good at politics (and that is not completely certain either), but they are frequently technologically-incompetent and they don't want to have to take the time, either, to learn.

By voting these people in (and possibly re-electing them) you did accept them. What should happen is these people all get voted out. That would send a message loud and clear. But, most likely it will not happen.

This should also be done at the Federal level. If people truly are upset at the direction of this country, the solution is simple. For the next 4 years go vote and if the person is in office now, vote for the other person. If enough do that, we will clean house. It will also remind the politicians who they work for (us).

XANAVirus
Premium
join:2012-03-03
Lavalette, WV
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to WireHead
said by WireHead:

Well they elected these people, they must like the way it feels in the arse or the way the d|ck tastes. Either way truer words were never spoke; "Stupid is as stupid does." It's not really conceivable to believe that this is the first time they have been screwed by their politicians.

They are probably too stupid to figure out how to prosecute any of them.

That isn't really funny, or even a very good joke at all. I'm not even sure where *you* are supposed to laugh.

Though, I'm sure you will probably claim somewhere down the line that, by writing 'LOL' as the subject, you are completely immune from any and all criticism because 'it was just a joke.'

It's not necessarily the voters who accepted these awful 'bids' by Verizon and Cisco, is it?

The problem is that politicians may be good at politics (and that is not completely certain either), but they are frequently technologically-incompetent and they don't want to have to take the time, either, to learn.

You see, there is no way ahead of time to determine how they will act or react in any given situation (e.g. using the stimulus funds in a fair way), and we simply have to trust them (which didn't work this time), but as such I highly doubt anything will really come out of this.

Most people in West Virginia already have broadband, or at least *a* connection to the 'Net (going by the FCC definition), and as such they don't really see WV as a place where there aren't readily available connections.

There's lots of free WiFi around here, even if you aren't at home to enjoy your own connection.

WireHead
I drive to fast
Premium
join:2001-05-09
Muncie, IN
Well they elected these people, they must like the way it feels in the arse or the way the d|ck tastes. Either way truer words were never spoke; "Stupid is as stupid does." It's not really conceivable to believe that this is the first time they have been screwed by their politicians.

They are probably too stupid to figure out how to prosecute any of them.
--
Retired BBR Team Starfire Team Q III Host
Live by chance. Love by choice. Kill by profession.