share rss forum feed

Woodlane

join:2012-06-02
K7G-2V6
Reviews:
·Xplornet
reply to grohgreg

Re: Latency increases when Skype video turned on

xPlornet has confirmed that Skype data does not receive any acceleration ..."The Skype connections are not handled differently that any other type of traffic. They are not put through any sort of prioritization. The only time that would occur is if a customer is using a Digital Phone service provided by Xplornet (This was offered at one time on some older platforms) and they would have a piece of equipment provided that would facilitate this prioritization." I will therefore ensure that when I use Skype I avoid peak hours if I see any evidence of congestion, and will disconnect any other wifi devices in my home that might consume bandwidth. Thanks for your detailed explanation, grohgreg. Skype continues to be useable for me over HTS 70% of the time.

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

join:2001-07-05
Dawson Springs, KY

said by Woodlane:

xPlornet has confirmed that Skype data does not receive any acceleration ...

Good. Without that confirmation, troubleshooting would be incomplete. I agree with your congestion conclusion.

//greg//
--
HN7000S - 98cm Prodelin/2w "pure" Osiris - ProPlus - G16/1001H - NOC:GTN - NAT 67.142.115.130 - Gateway 66.82.25.10 - DNS 66.82.4.12 and 66.82.4.8 - Firefox 15/MSIE9 - AV/Firewalled by NIS2012