Name Game
Premium
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:7

1 recommendation

IE reborn: Internet Explorer 10 arrives on Windows 7

»reviews.cnet.com/8301-3514_7-575···ndows-7/

In short, modern HTML5 sites that run smoothly in IE 10 on Windows 8, or the latest browsers from Chrome and Firefox, will now work properly in IE 10 on Windows 7.

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-20
Someshire
kudos:13

Should be fun

Cudni

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2

3 edits

1 recommendation

reply to Name Game

Since I only use IE for Windows Updates I don't really care. That said I'll probably install it just to see what the fuss is about (over hyped I'm sure).

BTW gotta love C/Net's "download link" (in the article). That just takes you to a page of all browser downloads and I don't see IE10 there. Microsoft doesn't have it on their download site (yet). Nothing on Windows Update either.

For those that care here's an actual working download link.

»windows.microsoft.com/en-us/inte···anguages

--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

Smokey Bear
veritas odium parit
Premium
join:2008-03-15
Annie's Pub
kudos:4

Microsoft downloadlinks IE10 Windows 7 (worldwide languages): »windows.microsoft.com/en-us/inte···anguages

Edit: oops, already posted...

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

2 edits

You posted and I edited at the same time

Just download IE10 for Win7 x64 and the timestamp (of the digital signature) is Feb 17th 2013 3:50:08.

FYI: On Win7 x64 both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of IE10 were installed.
--

bluepoint

join:2001-03-24

1 recommendation

reply to Name Game

For manual Install, IE 10 W7 Platform Update might be a requirement or it's a requirement better to let WU sort it out.

»support.microsoft.com/kb/2670838/en-us

Smokey Bear
veritas odium parit
Premium
join:2008-03-15
Annie's Pub
kudos:4
reply to Name Game

Reminder: in IE10 Do Not Track is turned on by default.

Cthen

join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..
reply to StuartMW

said by StuartMW:

Since I only use IE for Windows Updates I don't really care.

Don't even need it for that in Vista or higher. I have IE uninstalled and still get my updates by right clicking my computer then choosing properties. IE will only stay on my system after a fresh install. It gets used to download a copy of FireFox then gets promptly uninstalled after.
--
"I like to refer to myself as an Adult Film Efficienato." - Stuart Bondek

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
reply to Name Game

Will they allow it to run on WXP too? Or may be they prefer to wait until everyone on that platform will move on and replace it with other browsers (Firefox, Iron, Opera, etc). The latter is not a winning strangely, IMHO.
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

2 recommendations

WinXP?

No, IE10 is for Win8 (and now Win7) only. Win2k is stuck with IE6, WinXP with IE8 and Vista with IE9.
--

rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi
Reviews:
·Power-Net Intern..
reply to Name Game

They changed the icons so that both are identical for IE10-32 and IE10-64. Not only that but I used to have both in the start menu but did not use the 64 bit version as some web sites did not work right with it. Now looking at both I can not see which is which except by opening them from their program folder. It took a bit of playing around and now I have the 32 bit IE in the taskbar and the 64 bit in the start menu. I could not get them to both go to both places let alone tell which was which by looking at the icon.
--
Whoever said that ignorance is bliss wasn't refering to a person with a computer at his fingertips!

Cure Disease with your computer

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

said by rfhar:

Not only that but I used to have both in the start menu...

Hmm, I still have start menu items for the 32-bit and 64-bit versions although I might've created them myself sometime in the past. I thought the icons were always the same... Doesn't really matter as I very rarely use IE anyway.

I was surprised to see that IE10 looks just like IE9 (thought for a sec that the IE10 install had failed)--at least with my setup.
--

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:17
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to Name Game

For those kicking the tires, deselect BING and MSN defaults, right out of the box.

»blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2013···ses.aspx

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA
kudos:24

2 recommendations

reply to Name Game

Boy, will I ever have a learning curve. Still don't have Win 7!

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

1 recommendation

Nor will you be able to (easily) It's all Win8 now (ask Mele20 See Profile).
--

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12

1 edit
reply to Name Game

You can buy whatever OS you want!!

Win XP: »kitsoft.net/browse/search/?q=windows+xp

»www.amazon.com/s/?url=search-ali···=windows

I see Xp,98se,Win7,etc all for sale!!!!

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

1 recommendation

Perhaps. Anything after and including WinXP requires "activation" so one must be very careful to ensure that a genuine and unused key is provided.

I've thought about getting a genuine retail version (have Dell OEM's) of WinXP off eBay but frankly I don't trust that I'l get anything other than a CD (which I already have).
--

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12
reply to Name Game

Yes well thats the thing: TRUSTING PEOPLE.. (It isnt easy to do anymore )

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback
reply to Name Game

Re: IE reborn: Internet Explorer 10 arrives on Windows 7

It hasn't hit the update server yet, and for now I'm not looking for it, so IE9 will just have to do.

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11

1 edit
reply to Name Game

I'll be installing this ASAP! Thanks Name Game See Profile!

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

1 edit
reply to Name Game

I thought IE10 came with a pre-installed version of Adobe Flash? I looked in "Manage Add-on's" but it isn't listed. Also when I go to Adobe's Flash test page it shows I have this (which I did install today).

»Update:Adobe Flash Player..11.6.602.171.Feb.26/13

Is the pre-installed Flash only for Win8?
--

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11

said by StuartMW:

I thought IE10 came with a pre-installed version of Adobe Flash? I looked in "Manage Add-on's" but it isn't listed. Also when I go to Adobe's Flash test page it shows I have this (which I did install today).

»Update:Adobe Flash Player..11.6.602.171.Feb.26/13

Is the pre-installed Flash only for Win8?

I believe it's for Windows 8 only. I like it that way as I don't want 3rd party content baked into my browser then having to rely on Microsoft to update it. I think I recall initially Adobe releasing updates to their vulnerable Flash player faster for other browsers vs IE10 on Windows 8 as we had to wait for Microsoft. Hopefully this is not the case with IE10 on Windows 7.
»arstechnica.com/information-tech···ndows-7/

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

said by Dustyn:

I believe it's for Windows 8 only. I like it that way...

I do too. I'd just heard it was baked-in.
--

joako
Premium
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null
kudos:6
reply to Name Game

Is it still slow?
--
PRescott7-2097

gugarci
Premium
join:2004-02-25
Lyndhurst, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Name Game

How to you get IE10. Is it available through WU, or do you have to updated manually through this link?
»windows.microsoft.com/en-us/inte···anguages

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
reply to joako

No, was it ever ?

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
reply to StuartMW

Flash is baked into Win 8 »technet.microsoft.com/security/a···/2755801

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to StuartMW

Do me a favor (if you don't mind experimenting a bit). In IE Internet Options/Advanced tab under Security check "Enable Enhanced Protected Mode" and restart IE (reboot for good measure instead of just restarting IE).

Then use Process Explorer and open several tabs in IE and let me know if the tabs are running as 32bit or 64bit. Or, you can try to install Bing Bar after enabling EPM. If IE 10 is now running in full 64bit (which is what enabling EPM should do as that sandboxes the tabs) you should not be able to install Bing Bar as it requires 32bit tabs. (Bing Bar is easy to uninstall).

On my Win 8 Pro machine, even with EPM enabled, Process Explorer shows the tabs still running as 32bit and I can install Bing Bar which should be impossible with EPM enabled. I posted in Microsoft's own help forum about it and a Microsoft engineer told me the question should be posted at TechNet forums instead. I have done that last night...no replies yet. I am very curious to know if on Win 7 IE 10 can be run in FULL 64 bit mode or does it end up hybrid mode like it does for me on Win 8? (Others have posted in Microsoft's own forum that they also cannot get IE 10 to run as full 64bit on Win 8).
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

There's no "Advanced tab under Security" but "Enable Protected Mode" was already enabled.

I opened IE 64-bit and created 4 tabs in addition to the main page. Process Explorer showed the main IE process as 64-bit but child processes as 32-bit.

I didn't install "Bing Bar" but I don't think that matters.
--

Hardtek1976

join:2011-11-30
North York, ON

StuwartMW,

I think Mele20 is asking about this.