Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11
reply to therube

Re: IE reborn: Internet Explorer 10 arrives on Windows 7

said by therube:

So while it seems that IE10 is now being offered through automatic updates (even if not default enabled), the what was reported to be prerequisite for IE10, KB2670838 (»KB2670838 Win 7 platform update) is not being offered?

(I've put in today's update to IE9 & I'll wait a bit & see how IE10/KB2670838 plays out.)

IE10 will install KB2670838.
»Re: IE reborn: Internet Explorer 10 arrives on Windows 7
--
Remember that cool hidden "Graffiti Wall" here on BBR? After the name change I became the "owner", so to speak as it became: Dustyn's Wall »[Serious] RIP

therube

join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to SpHeRe31459

quote:
It's listed under Optional updates, rather than Important. It's a prereq for IE10 on Win7 so it would be installed if you choose IE10. It can also be installed independently if for some reason you want the platform update but not IE10 yet.
Ah, OK, you're right, listed under Optional.
But then if you were to install IE10, & it is a prerequisite, then its not optional at that point .

So then many Mozilla users will be complaining once IE10 is installed.

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3

I am not installing IE 10 because of that KB, it didn't play nice with my Windows 7 laptop. I don't really care as I use Firefox anyway.

SpHeRe31459
Premium
join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA
kudos:2
reply to therube

IE10 isn't checked by default, and if MS's behavior holds true, it won't get checked to be installed automatically for another or month or two, just as it did with IE9.

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback

It was unchecked here too, but like all other versions, you just wonder if it is worth it by the time it does become classed as an automatic download - still I have no auto updates on my machine, I gather it will never get on the XP machines. I'm just curious of mileage.

Littlem129
Premium
join:2007-05-13
White Pine, TN
reply to Name Game

I went ahead and took the plunge with IE 10 yesterday. I got the KB2670838 update on 02/27 and I've not had any problems with it so I figured I would give IE 10 a try. Working well so far, but I haven't used it that much. I just tried it for a few minutes to see if it would run without any major problems and it is so now I'm back to my fav Firefox.

beck
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Stablehost.com
reply to Name Game

It's flat. Look at the scroll bars. The forward and back buttons. Sheesh! Can hardly see where to hook onto the scroll bar to scroll if I need to. Actually, don't look wild and wonderful to me. It looks boring.

I suppose that if I had a touch screen, I wouldn't be using a scroll bar. But I don't have that. Why would they change it so it doesn't use the system defaults? They could have just left it alone, but MS is such a pita. They are like a bull in a china shop.

I have to use IE for some sites I go to. But otherwise it will still be put aside. Sad.
--
Damn spy drones!
They are interfering
with my sun spots.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12

quote:
It's Flat
Indeed its sad isnt it?

Smokey Bear
veritas odium parit
Premium
join:2008-03-15
Annie's Pub
kudos:4

said by Dude111:
quote:
It's Flat
Indeed its sad isnt it?

Dude, really sad is to stick with the most decrepit browser in the world, IE6.

goalieskates
Premium
join:2004-09-12
land of big
reply to beck

said by beck:

It's flat. Look at the scroll bars. The forward and back buttons. Sheesh! Can hardly see where to hook onto the scroll bar to scroll if I need to. Actually, don't look wild and wonderful to me. It looks boring.

But it's very Metro. Which to me looks sort of like Win95 revisited. Difference being, we had limited colors back then and this was a choice. heh

Grunge came and went. Glass came and went. This too shall pass.

Shady Bimmer
Premium
join:2001-12-03
Northport, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to beck

said by beck:

It's flat. Look at the scroll bars.
[snip]
It looks boring.

If that is the worst thing that can be said about IE10, is it so bad?

For what it is worth on Win8 that is the norm and the scrollbars on many apps (including chrome) look the same.

Its a scrollbar. I'll take a fast browser with plain scrollbar over a slow browser with real pretty scrollbar any day.

goalieskates
Premium
join:2004-09-12
land of big

said by Shady Bimmer:

Its a scrollbar. I'll take a fast browser with plain scrollbar over a slow browser with real pretty scrollbar any day.

At some point those speed claims become meaningless. Humans seriously don't detect nanoseconds.

If speed was really a concern, we'd still just be using text and not all the other extraneous stuff. Just sayin'.

beck
Premium,MVM
On The Road
Reviews:
·Stablehost.com
reply to Shady Bimmer

said by Shady Bimmer:

Yes. Hammer and chisel... is that so bad? I feel like I'm in a bad win 3 app. And I don't see any faster pages. Seem the same to me. I don't care how fast it's supposed to be. It's flat and boring. Like some baby without sense wrote the code. I'm not going to jump with happiness because of that.
--
Damn spy drones!
They are interfering
with my sun spots.

beck
Premium,MVM
On The Road
Reviews:
·Stablehost.com

1 recommendation

reply to goalieskates

said by goalieskates:

This too shall pass.

lol!!!!! Yeah, that's what I think of this too. Maybe I should send some laxative to the ie10 design team so ie11 looks better.

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:17
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to La Luna

The KB is not unlike any other you would routinely apply on a given patch Tuesday.

As to the comments on a rather flat UI, I'm seeing that as well - the Windows Shell Folks could have done a lot better.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
reply to beck

said by beck:

I feel like I'm in a bad win 3 app.

Well things have gone downhill since MS-DOS 2.1

--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA
reply to goalieskates

I used to read Compuserve mail scrolling on a Z80 system with a 300 baud modem. I could read it without pausing. 300 baud ought to be good enough if all you need is text.
--
It is easier for a camel to put on a bikini than an old man to thread a needle.

Shady Bimmer
Premium
join:2001-12-03
Northport, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to goalieskates

said by goalieskates:

said by Shady Bimmer:

At some point those speed claims become meaningless. Humans seriously don't detect nanoseconds.

I'm not talking nanoseconds and I didn't mean to make any correlation between "prettyness" and functionality or speed.

It was meant to be more of a comment that given all things considered what a scrollbar looks like is rather unimportant and is not among the factors I consider in choosing a browser. There are far more important considerations, and far more important things in life to worry about beyond how pretty a scrollbar looks.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12
reply to Smokey Bear

quote:
Dude, really sad is to stick with the most decrepit browser in the world, IE6
Well buddy @ least I know IE6 isnt spying on me!! (I dont look @ IE directly very often,i use MyIE2 for my surfing (I like the UI better (Nicer looking a little - More colourful (And more features))))

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to beck

Click for full size
said by beck:

said by Shady Bimmer:

Yes. Hammer and chisel... is that so bad? I feel like I'm in a bad win 3 app. And I don't see any faster pages. Seem the same to me. I don't care how fast it's supposed to be. It's flat and boring. Like some baby without sense wrote the code. I'm not going to jump with happiness because of that.

IE 10 looks a MILLION TIMES BETTER than IE 7, 8. I never had 9 so I can't compare it to that version. IE 10 is clean, sleek and sassy looking. The scroll bar looks like a scroll bar. Is it supposed to look like something other than a scroll bar? IE 10 looks like a fast thoroughbred race horse. IE 7 and 8 were hopelessly fat and bloated and slow looking. (However, I still don't like to use IE but that is because of the horrible font problem that IE has always had and other browsers never had).
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17

So, now you have a title bar ... without a title. The title of the web page you visit is squeezed into small Tab bar area (exactly as in Iron now). How this is better, then displaying full title on the empty (now) title bar?
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3
reply to siljaline

said by siljaline:

The KB is not unlike any other you would routinely apply on a given patch Tuesday.

As to the comments on a rather flat UI, I'm seeing that as well - the Windows Shell Folks could have done a lot better.

That may be, but it caused a plethora of problems for me, including BSOD. I won't dare take a chance on trying it again.
--
The Alien in the White House

20,504 DEADLY TERROR ATTACKS SINCE 9/11

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:17

If that's the case, La Luna See Profile, stay away like the plague.

kickass69

join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
reply to OZO

Agreed, a Title Bar not showin the program name and the title of the web page just doesn't look right. Plus I'm used to the menu bar on top and the tabs below the url bar. Basic customization with that is now lost even.

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17

Two related points here:
1. I found title associated with web pages useful to see what it is about. And there is not enough space on the Tab bar to show that now.
2. There are programs like e.g. KeePass, that rely on title of the window to make (or not) input of its date. I don't know how removing the title will impact those programs too
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

redwolfe_98
Premium
join:2001-06-11
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Name Game

for anyone who is using IE 10 with windows 7, with one of the recent updates for IE 10, where "flash player" was updated, it had different versions of the update for different versions of IE 10 when used with different operating systems.. however, there was no update listed for IE 10 when run with windows 7, so i was wondering about that.. where is the update for IE 10 when run with windows 7?

here is a link to the update that i am referring to:

»support.microsoft.com/kb/2824670

again, note that there is no update listed for IE 10 when run with "windows 7"..

therube

join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD

1 recommendation

"MS" Flash updates look to only apply to Win8 (& Windows Server 2012) users.

Win7 users & below are left to do it the "old" way.

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback

I'd asked the question in this topic »Microsoft enables Flash by default in Internet Explorer

I was thinking the same but couldn't find reference.

Digibits
Premium
join:2000-09-02
The Hilltop
reply to Name Game

Whether it was IE10 or the recent platform upgrade, I don't know (I did both), but I spent half a day including 2 hours on the phone with a Microsoft Support Tech concerning an on screen message which said "api-ms-win-downlevel-user32/1l-0.dll missing."

We tried everything possible short of a complete upgrade to restore my Windows 7 machine to an earlier (stable) state but to no avail as this problem basically renders the computer inoperable once the desktop with message comes up.

Thankfully I had a good backup from a few weeks ago on an external drive and was able to restore the computer to its pre-crash state. This would be one case where a cloud backup would would have been of no use (at least not from the affected machine).

Apparently several others are having this problem as witnessed by the posts at »answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind···00efaf93

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to Name Game

I think anyone with Windows 7 who has not already done the IE 10 upgrade should WAIT.

Microsoft is going to offer FREE support for Windows 7 IE 10 install/uninstall issues starting in the very near future.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson