uniqs
share rss forum feed

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2
reply to Mele20

Re: IE reborn: Internet Explorer 10 arrives on Windows 7

So, now you have a title bar ... without a title. The title of the web page you visit is squeezed into small Tab bar area (exactly as in Iron now). How this is better, then displaying full title on the empty (now) title bar?
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3
reply to siljaline

said by siljaline:

The KB is not unlike any other you would routinely apply on a given patch Tuesday.

As to the comments on a rather flat UI, I'm seeing that as well - the Windows Shell Folks could have done a lot better.

That may be, but it caused a plethora of problems for me, including BSOD. I won't dare take a chance on trying it again.
--
The Alien in the White House

20,504 DEADLY TERROR ATTACKS SINCE 9/11

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:17

If that's the case, La Luna See Profile, stay away like the plague.

kickass69

join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
reply to OZO

Agreed, a Title Bar not showin the program name and the title of the web page just doesn't look right. Plus I'm used to the menu bar on top and the tabs below the url bar. Basic customization with that is now lost even.

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17

Two related points here:
1. I found title associated with web pages useful to see what it is about. And there is not enough space on the Tab bar to show that now.
2. There are programs like e.g. KeePass, that rely on title of the window to make (or not) input of its date. I don't know how removing the title will impact those programs too
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

redwolfe_98
Premium
join:2001-06-11
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Name Game

for anyone who is using IE 10 with windows 7, with one of the recent updates for IE 10, where "flash player" was updated, it had different versions of the update for different versions of IE 10 when used with different operating systems.. however, there was no update listed for IE 10 when run with windows 7, so i was wondering about that.. where is the update for IE 10 when run with windows 7?

here is a link to the update that i am referring to:

»support.microsoft.com/kb/2824670

again, note that there is no update listed for IE 10 when run with "windows 7"..

therube

join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD

1 recommendation

"MS" Flash updates look to only apply to Win8 (& Windows Server 2012) users.

Win7 users & below are left to do it the "old" way.

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback

I'd asked the question in this topic »Microsoft enables Flash by default in Internet Explorer

I was thinking the same but couldn't find reference.

Digibits
Premium
join:2000-09-02
The Hilltop
kudos:1
reply to Name Game

Whether it was IE10 or the recent platform upgrade, I don't know (I did both), but I spent half a day including 2 hours on the phone with a Microsoft Support Tech concerning an on screen message which said "api-ms-win-downlevel-user32/1l-0.dll missing."

We tried everything possible short of a complete upgrade to restore my Windows 7 machine to an earlier (stable) state but to no avail as this problem basically renders the computer inoperable once the desktop with message comes up.

Thankfully I had a good backup from a few weeks ago on an external drive and was able to restore the computer to its pre-crash state. This would be one case where a cloud backup would would have been of no use (at least not from the affected machine).

Apparently several others are having this problem as witnessed by the posts at »answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind···00efaf93

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to Name Game

I think anyone with Windows 7 who has not already done the IE 10 upgrade should WAIT.

Microsoft is going to offer FREE support for Windows 7 IE 10 install/uninstall issues starting in the very near future.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Faster
Premium
join:2013-03-09
reply to Name Game

Just an update as I got IE as soon as it was available for Win 7.

So far it has worked flawlessly without any issues. I am pretty mainstream average traditional home users as far as what I use my browser and access to the Internet.

There are several advantageous for IE 10 compared to various older versions but for me the main plain and simple feature I like about IE 10 is that it is certainly the fastest of the IE family of browsers.

I know that is small feature for most but I'm one of those people that like things to happen fast in devices when I "activate" or do something to get a response from the software or device I'm dealing with.

therube

join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to Mele20

quote:
I think anyone with Windows 7 who has not already done the IE 10 upgrade should WAIT.
Why?
(Recently did a fresh install of Win7, & then put in IE10. At this point, it is not too late to "do it once more", without.)

SpHeRe31459

join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA

said by therube:

quote:
Why?
(Recently did a fresh install of Win7, & then put in IE10. At this point, it is not too late to "do it once more", without.)

Some people have had issues with the Platform Update that is a pre-req for IE 10. If you have no issues, then don't worry about it.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

1 recommendation

reply to therube

said by therube:

quote:
Why?

I didn't say people who did it with no problems should undo it. I merely said that the risks are so high for SERIOUS problems that Microsoft is going to announce FREE support for those having problems. A PRUDENT person who has not yet gotten it would wait. That's all.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

cohjef2

join:2002-12-15
Kansas City, MO
reply to beck

Re. the scroll bars: I agree with you. They are hard to locate and slow me down. When a change is made to a standard, long-used feature, it should be an improvement, not a step backward. After decades, many MS products still have this fundamental lesson to learn.