Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2

1 edit
reply to Name Game

Re: IE reborn: Internet Explorer 10 arrives on Windows 7

I thought IE10 came with a pre-installed version of Adobe Flash? I looked in "Manage Add-on's" but it isn't listed. Also when I go to Adobe's Flash test page it shows I have this (which I did install today).

»Update:Adobe Flash Player..11.6.602.171.Feb.26/13

Is the pre-installed Flash only for Win8?
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11

said by StuartMW:

I thought IE10 came with a pre-installed version of Adobe Flash? I looked in "Manage Add-on's" but it isn't listed. Also when I go to Adobe's Flash test page it shows I have this (which I did install today).

»Update:Adobe Flash Player..11.6.602.171.Feb.26/13

Is the pre-installed Flash only for Win8?

I believe it's for Windows 8 only. I like it that way as I don't want 3rd party content baked into my browser then having to rely on Microsoft to update it. I think I recall initially Adobe releasing updates to their vulnerable Flash player faster for other browsers vs IE10 on Windows 8 as we had to wait for Microsoft. Hopefully this is not the case with IE10 on Windows 7.
»arstechnica.com/information-tech···ndows-7/

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

said by Dustyn:

I believe it's for Windows 8 only. I like it that way...

I do too. I'd just heard it was baked-in.
--

joako
Premium
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null
kudos:6
reply to Name Game

Is it still slow?
--
PRescott7-2097

gugarci
Premium
join:2004-02-25
Lyndhurst, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Name Game

How to you get IE10. Is it available through WU, or do you have to updated manually through this link?
»windows.microsoft.com/en-us/inte···anguages

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:17
reply to joako

No, was it ever ?

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
reply to StuartMW

Flash is baked into Win 8 »technet.microsoft.com/security/a···/2755801

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to StuartMW

Do me a favor (if you don't mind experimenting a bit). In IE Internet Options/Advanced tab under Security check "Enable Enhanced Protected Mode" and restart IE (reboot for good measure instead of just restarting IE).

Then use Process Explorer and open several tabs in IE and let me know if the tabs are running as 32bit or 64bit. Or, you can try to install Bing Bar after enabling EPM. If IE 10 is now running in full 64bit (which is what enabling EPM should do as that sandboxes the tabs) you should not be able to install Bing Bar as it requires 32bit tabs. (Bing Bar is easy to uninstall).

On my Win 8 Pro machine, even with EPM enabled, Process Explorer shows the tabs still running as 32bit and I can install Bing Bar which should be impossible with EPM enabled. I posted in Microsoft's own help forum about it and a Microsoft engineer told me the question should be posted at TechNet forums instead. I have done that last night...no replies yet. I am very curious to know if on Win 7 IE 10 can be run in FULL 64 bit mode or does it end up hybrid mode like it does for me on Win 8? (Others have posted in Microsoft's own forum that they also cannot get IE 10 to run as full 64bit on Win 8).
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

There's no "Advanced tab under Security" but "Enable Protected Mode" was already enabled.

I opened IE 64-bit and created 4 tabs in addition to the main page. Process Explorer showed the main IE process as 64-bit but child processes as 32-bit.

I didn't install "Bing Bar" but I don't think that matters.
--

Hardtek1976

join:2011-11-30
North York, ON

StuwartMW,

I think Mele20 is asking about this.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

Ahhh ok, thanks. I've ticked it but don't want to reboot and try again right now.
--

gugarci
Premium
Lyndhurst, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Name Game

Just installed it and I must admit I like it. Although it froze while importing my Firefox bookmarks and had to close it out using the task manager. How can you tell if it installed the 32 or 64 bit version? It does not mention this info under "about Internet Explorer".
--
Desktop Win 7 x64 Emsisoft Anti Malware v7, Laptop Win 7 x64 & Desktop XP Pro Emsisoft Anti Malware v7 & Online Armor Premium v6, Netbook Win 7 Starter and Netbook XP Home Avast 7, MBAM and Hitman Pro used on-demand only.

rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi
Reviews:
·Power-Net Intern..

said by gugarci:

How can you tell if it installed the 32 or 64 bit version? It does not mention this info under "about Internet Explorer".

Look in the program files folder and the program files86 folder.

gugarci
Premium
Lyndhurst, NJ
reply to Name Game

I have IE10 installed in the program folder and also in the program x86 folder. Does that mean I'm using the 64 bit version?

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
reply to Smokey Bear

DNT was not turned on by default. fwiw...

chachazz
Premium
join:2003-12-14
kudos:9
Reviews:
·TELUS

said by Smokey Bear:

Reminder: in IE10 Do Not Track is turned on by default.

said by siljaline:

DNT was not turned on by default. fwiw...

"In keeping with our commitment on prioritizing the privacy of our customers,
the Do Not Track (DNT) signal is turned on in IE10 for Windows 7."
»blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2013···ted=true

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico

1 edit

Yep, read that, I've been waiting for this for a good while.
Save a few tweaks, I have IE 10 essentially installed the way I like it and DNT was not turned off deliberately. My Bad

Name Game
Premium
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:7

1 recommendation

reply to gugarci

Click for full size
said by gugarci:

Just installed it and I must admit I like it. Although it froze while importing my Firefox bookmarks and had to close it out using the task manager. How can you tell if it installed the 32 or 64 bit version? It does not mention this info under "about Internet Explorer".

Download Internet Explorer 10
You can download Internet Explorer 10 in the language that matches your version of Windows or choose the English version, which works with all versions of Windows 7.

If you need help finding out which version of Windows you're running, see Is my PC running the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows?

»windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind···r-64-bit
--
Gladiator Security Forum
»www.gladiator-antivirus.com/

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11

1 edit

1 recommendation

So far I reeeealy like it. To me it looks and feels like a highly polished IE9!
EDIT: The built in spell checker is cool. Purposely mistyping a few wrong words with extra or not enough letters and IE10 corrects it on the fly! Others are simply underlined for review. Very nice!

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:3

Ever heard of auto-correct fail? It's a common problem on smartphones, but you should able to turn that off. I've found many dictionaries are missing words spelled correctly, or terminology in many fields. This can lead to embarrassing situations if you don't proofread every message.
»www.autocorrectfail.org/
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

DarkSithPro

join:2005-02-12
Tempe, AZ

1 recommendation

reply to Name Game

I wonder how many people wouldn't use Internet Explorer just because it's an evil Microsoft product? Even it it renders pages faster than the others due to GPU acceleration and has a better sandbox than Chrome? In terms of sandbox/protected mode is it more secure than the pwn2own champ "Chrome"?

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17

Many don't use the latest IE because of the dumb m$'s policy where they artificially limit it for using with only few latest Windows OS's (W8, and now W7). I think m$ shoots itself in the foot by eliminating by their own will a lot of potential users...
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

GuruGuy

join:2002-12-16
Atlanta, GA
reply to Name Game

Slightly OT, but have any tests been done to see how secure IE 10, maybe a comparison to Chrome?
--
GuruGuy

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to StuartMW

I was in a hurry when I posted and was not very clear...sorry. I meant go to Advanced Tab (not Security Tab). On the Advanced Tab under the Security SECTION enable EPM. Then open some tabs in IE Internet zone and check Process Explorer.

It is all explained in this rather lengthy blog:

»blogs.msdn.com/b/ieinternals/arc···top.aspx

But I had missed this:

"In the upcoming Internet Explorer 10 on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008R2, the only thing that enabling Enhanced Protected Mode does is turn on 64bit Content Processes. But, when running on Windows 8, the EPM option provides even more security by also causing the sandboxed Content Process to run in a new process isolation feature called “AppContainer.”

So, you still won't have tabs running in App Container and I want to know why tabs appear to be running outside App container even though I turned on EPM. They don't appear to be even running at 64bit much less in the App container.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB

1 recommendation

reply to GuruGuy

There will be a security comparison soon enough, like in about a week

quote:
HP ZDI is offering more than half a million dollars (USD) in cash and prizes during the competition for vulnerabilities and exploitation techniques in the below categories. The first contestant to successfully compromise a selected target will win the prizes for the category.
•Web Browser
Google Chrome on Windows 7 ($100,000)
Microsoft Internet Explorer, either
IE 10 on Windows 8 ($100,000), or
IE 9 on Windows 7 ($75,000)
Mozilla Firefox on Windows 7 ($60,000)
Apple Safari on OS X Mountain Lion ($65,000)
•Web Browser Plug-ins using Internet Explorer 9 on Windows 7
Adobe Reader XI ($70,000)
Adobe Flash ($70,000)

»dvlabs.tippingpoint.com/blog/201···own-2013

Should be fun as always.
--
Vendor: Author of Link Logger which is a traffic analysis and firewall logging tool

gugarci
Premium
Lyndhurst, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Name Game

said by Name Game:

said by gugarci:

Download Internet Explorer 10
You can download Internet Explorer 10 in the language that matches your version of Windows or choose the English version, which works with all versions of Windows 7.

If you need help finding out which version of Windows you're running, see Is my PC running the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows?

»windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind···r-64-bit

Thanks for the reply. I'm using x64 but and I downloaded the x64 bit installer. But since i don't use IE at all i just wanted to make sure.
--
Desktop Win 7 x64 Emsisoft Anti Malware v7, Laptop Win 7 x64 & Desktop XP Pro Emsisoft Anti Malware v7 & Online Armor Premium v6, Netbook Win 7 Starter and Netbook XP Home Avast 7, MBAM and Hitman Pro used on-demand only.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

3 edits

1 recommendation

reply to Mele20

Click for full size
said by Mele20:

But I had missed this:

So you don't need me to re-run your experiment?

I probably won't get around to it until later today anyway.

Just rebooted and now all IE child processes (tabs) are 64-bit and NOT 32-bit.
--

HarryH3
Premium
join:2005-02-21
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to Name Game

Just how bloated is the code for this? (Or how deep does it hook into the system?) Upon reboot, I got the "Please wait. Updating Windows" screen for quite a while during shutdown and again during startup. It took almost as long as the ridiculous .Net updates.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

1 recommendation

reply to gugarci

said by gugarci:

I have IE10 installed in the program folder and also in the program x86 folder.

C:\Program Files\          <= 64-bit software

C:\Program Files(x86)\   <= 32-bit software

Just create you're own shortcuts if they don't exist.

The x64 installer installs both versions.

»Re: IE reborn: Internet Explorer 10 arrives on Windows 7
--

Name Game
Premium
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:7

1 recommendation

reply to gugarci

I plan to install it on one of my win7 64bit laptops that I use when traveling..glad they put this one out for that OS..never did like IE9 that well. Acted funny on too many sites. Kudos to Microsoft.