uniqs
DarkSithPro (banned)
join:2005-02-12
Tempe, AZ

1 recommendation

DarkSithPro (banned) to Name Game

to Name Game

Re: IE reborn: Internet Explorer 10 arrives on Windows 7

I wonder how many people wouldn't use Internet Explorer just because it's an evil Microsoft product? Even it it renders pages faster than the others due to GPU acceleration and has a better sandbox than Chrome? In terms of sandbox/protected mode is it more secure than the pwn2own champ "Chrome"?
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

OZO

Premium Member

Many don't use the latest IE because of the dumb m$'s policy where they artificially limit it for using with only few latest Windows OS's (W8, and now W7). I think m$ shoots itself in the foot by eliminating by their own will a lot of potential users...

GuruGuy
Premium Member
join:2002-12-16
Atlanta, GA

GuruGuy to Name Game

Premium Member

to Name Game
Slightly OT, but have any tests been done to see how secure IE 10, maybe a comparison to Chrome?
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
I was in a hurry when I posted and was not very clear...sorry. I meant go to Advanced Tab (not Security Tab). On the Advanced Tab under the Security SECTION enable EPM. Then open some tabs in IE Internet zone and check Process Explorer.

It is all explained in this rather lengthy blog:

»blogs.msdn.com/b/ieinter ··· top.aspx

But I had missed this:

"In the upcoming Internet Explorer 10 on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008R2, the only thing that enabling Enhanced Protected Mode does is turn on 64bit Content Processes. But, when running on Windows 8, the EPM option provides even more security by also causing the sandboxed Content Process to run in a new process isolation feature called “AppContainer.”

So, you still won't have tabs running in App Container and I want to know why tabs appear to be running outside App container even though I turned on EPM. They don't appear to be even running at 64bit much less in the App container.

Link Logger
MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB

1 recommendation

Link Logger to GuruGuy

MVM

to GuruGuy
There will be a security comparison soon enough, like in about a week
quote:
HP ZDI is offering more than half a million dollars (USD) in cash and prizes during the competition for vulnerabilities and exploitation techniques in the below categories. The first contestant to successfully compromise a selected target will win the prizes for the category.
•Web Browser
Google Chrome on Windows 7 ($100,000)
Microsoft Internet Explorer, either
IE 10 on Windows 8 ($100,000), or
IE 9 on Windows 7 ($75,000)
Mozilla Firefox on Windows 7 ($60,000)
Apple Safari on OS X Mountain Lion ($65,000)
•Web Browser Plug-ins using Internet Explorer 9 on Windows 7
Adobe Reader XI ($70,000)
Adobe Flash ($70,000)

»dvlabs.tippingpoint.com/ ··· own-2013

Should be fun as always.

gugarci
Premium Member
join:2004-02-25
Lyndhurst, NJ

gugarci to Name Game

Premium Member

to Name Game
said by Name Game:

said by gugarci:

Just installed it and I must admit I like it. Although it froze while importing my Firefox bookmarks and had to close it out using the task manager. How can you tell if it installed the 32 or 64 bit version? It does not mention this info under "about Internet Explorer".

Download Internet Explorer 10
You can download Internet Explorer 10 in the language that matches your version of Windows or choose the English version, which works with all versions of Windows 7.

»windows.microsoft.com/en ··· anguages
If you need help finding out which version of Windows you're running, see Is my PC running the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows?

»windows.microsoft.com/en ··· r-64-bit

Thanks for the reply. I'm using x64 but and I downloaded the x64 bit installer. But since i don't use IE at all i just wanted to make sure.

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

3 edits

1 recommendation

StuartMW to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
Click for full size
said by Mele20:

But I had missed this:

So you don't need me to re-run your experiment?

I probably won't get around to it until later today anyway.

Just rebooted and now all IE child processes (tabs) are 64-bit and NOT 32-bit.
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

HarryH3 to Name Game

Premium Member

to Name Game
Just how bloated is the code for this? (Or how deep does it hook into the system?) Upon reboot, I got the "Please wait. Updating Windows" screen for quite a while during shutdown and again during startup. It took almost as long as the ridiculous .Net updates.

StuartMW
Premium Member

1 recommendation

StuartMW to gugarci

Premium Member

to gugarci
said by gugarci:

I have IE10 installed in the program folder and also in the program x86 folder.

C:\Program Files\          <= 64-bit software

C:\Program Files(x86)\   <= 32-bit software

Just create you're own shortcuts if they don't exist.

The x64 installer installs both versions.

»Re: IE reborn: Internet Explorer 10 arrives on Windows 7

Name Game
Premium Member
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI

1 recommendation

Name Game to gugarci

Premium Member

to gugarci
I plan to install it on one of my win7 64bit laptops that I use when traveling..glad they put this one out for that OS..never did like IE9 that well. Acted funny on too many sites. Kudos to Microsoft.

gugarci
Premium Member
Lyndhurst, NJ

1 recommendation

gugarci to Name Game

Premium Member

to Name Game
I only installed it in my laptop also. I want to play with it. My main family desktop still has IE8 since we don't use IE at all.
gugarci

gugarci to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
said by StuartMW:

said by gugarci:

I have IE10 installed in the program folder and also in the program x86 folder.

C:\Program Files\          <= 64-bit software

C:\Program Files(x86)\   <= 32-bit software

Just create you're own shortcuts if they don't exist.

The x64 installer installs both versions.

»Re: IE reborn: Internet Explorer 10 arrives on Windows 7

Thanks, that's what I thought.

Name Game
Premium Member
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI

1 recommendation

Name Game

Premium Member

Here are some things to expect with ....

IE10 on Windows 7: 5 Essential Facts
»www.informationweek.com/ ··· 40149499

StuartMW
Premium Member

2 recommendations

StuartMW to Name Game

Premium Member

to Name Game
Also released

Internet Explorer Administration Kit 10
quote:
Internet Explorer Administration Kit 10 (IEAK 10) simplifies the creation, deployment, and management of customized Internet Explorer 10 packages. It can be used to configure the out-of-box Internet Explorer 10 experience, and to manage user settings after deployment.

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

1 recommendation

Dustyn to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
said by StuartMW:

said by Mele20:

But I had missed this:

So you don't need me to re-run your experiment?

I probably won't get around to it until later today anyway.

Just rebooted and now all IE child processes (tabs) are 64-bit and NOT 32-bit.

I can confirm the same.

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW to Name Game

Premium Member

to Name Game
Uh oh. Look who's running WinXP (check the screen capture) and posted this

»Windows XP and Firefox take 25-year lead in security flaws

(Ok ok. So yes I still run Win2K and WinXP also )

gugarci
Premium Member
Lyndhurst, NJ

gugarci to Name Game

Premium Member

to Name Game
I only use IE on my 2 older XP PC's to check for updates. How do you block ads in IE10? Is there anything I can use for free like Adblock Plus??? Before I started using Firefox, just before version 1, I used to use Ad Muncher Pro. But since IE10 is not my go to web brower I'm looking for a free solution.

Thanks.

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

Adblock for Internet Explorer

Woody79_00
I run Linux am I still a PC?
Premium Member
join:2004-07-08
united state

Woody79_00 to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
Mele:

I ran into a simlair issue a few months ago. To solve it I had to do the following:

1. Right-Click IE10 and select Run As Administrator.
2. Click Continue through UAC prompt.
3. Once IE loads its page, then Go into Internet Options, Advanced.
4. Find the Enhanced Protected Mode option.
5. If its checked, uncheck it and hit apply, and then check it again and hit apply. If its unchecked, check it and hit apply.
6. Close IE10 and restart Windows.

It seems running it as Administrator to enable EPM solves the issues, and your tabs will then run as 64 bit and be App Container sandboxed. Following these steps worked for me on Windows 8 Pro.

I hope it works for you.

gugarci
Premium Member
Lyndhurst, NJ

gugarci to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
I saw that one just before I posted. Is this the software most IE users are using to block ads. I've never heard of it before.

Also someone on Wilders just posted this link for a Fanboy list. Looks like it does not require ABP.
»www.fanboy.co.nz/ie.html

bluepoint
join:2001-03-24

bluepoint

You can try to look it up online. Go to "manage add-ons" click tracking protection, just below click "get protection list online.." Listings there are for tracking and/or ad blocks, choose your poison.
Expand your moderator at work

gugarci
Premium Member
Lyndhurst, NJ

gugarci to bluepoint

Premium Member

to bluepoint

I just installed the Fanboy ad &tracking lists and it's working well. Now I can play with IE10
Expand your moderator at work

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW to Woody79_00

Premium Member

to Woody79_00

said by Woody79_00:

That's what I did. Many programs require Administrator privileges to change system settings. Some will ask to be elevated but some don't which is why I run as Admin as a matter of course (when changing settings).

Since "Enable Enhanced Protected Mode" requires a reboot Admin privileges are almost certainly required for it to actually take effect.
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA

1 recommendation

SpHeRe31459

Premium Member

said by StuartMW:

said by Woody79_00:

That's what I did. Many programs require Administrator privileges to change system settings. Some will ask to be elevated but some don't which is why I run as Admin as a matter of course (when changing settings).

Since "Enable Enhanced Protected Mode" requires a reboot Admin privileges are almost certainly required for it to actually take effect.

On that note, I enabled EPM via the Run As Administrator method and it seemed to actually take effect immediately after closing and reopening IE. I noticed all iexplore.exe instances were then 64-bit in Task Manager. No reboot required. I rebooted for good measure, but it didn't seem to needed.

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by SpHeRe31459:

On that note, I enabled EPM via the Run As Administrator method and it seemed to actually take effect immediately after closing and reopening IE.

Hmmm I believed what Microsoft has in their dialog
quote:
*Takes effect after you restart your computer

Oh well--I've had to reboot a lot lately (after installing stuff).
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
said by StuartMW:

said by Woody79_00:

I run as Admin all the time. I got rid of UAC in the registry because I read if I did that then FINALLY Windows 8 would understand what "Administrator" means. Not only was I tired of UAC prompts even though I was already running as Admin, I really hated no prompt when I was running as Admin and then the program would not run as Admin becuse for some weird reason i was supposed to read Windows' mind and know that I still needed to elevate (to what I have no idea because I was already running as Admin...so the elevation was to "SUPERadmin" which the user has to mind read to know to do that? Absurd). What the heck is an Admin account for if it is not an Admin account? So, I read that the solution was to get rid of UAC entirely in the registry.

So, I had been assuming I was running as Admin when starting IE. I know Microsoft confirmed when I did the registry fix to get rid of UAC that I can no longer open Metro APPS which is fine since I'd like the ability to get rid of Metro entirely. Anyhow, after reading the recent posts here, I went to Windows Explorer and then to IE.exe (how come you can't start it as Admin from a Desktop shortcut or from the Taskbar, but only from going directly to the program folder)? I started it as Admin (no prompts as UAC is completely gone...not disabled but GONE). I tested it repeatedly unchecking EPM hitting apply then rechecking it, etc.

I thought I was successful in getting IE to run as full 64 bit with the tabs sandboxed when I clicked on a Favorites url to check if Java was correctly installed. I got a message that there was no Java installed which is incorrect but would be correct if it is running as full 64bit with no 32 bit processes. I then opened a couple more tabs and checked Process Explorer which showed the tabs running as 32 bit. Soo, it appears to now be running as full 64bit except for the tabs not being sandboxed. Before I elevated to Admin to run it, it was showing Java installed and would run Java applets. So, I have gotten FURTHER in getting it to run as 64bit but the tabs still are running as 32bit.

I also installed Bing Bar again and clicked on some of its icons and they all worked (except Slacker radio that could not connect). Microsoft says Bing Bar doesn't work if IE is running on Win 8 with EPM enabled. I should have gotten a popup about it...I didn't.

I even did a direct connection in case Proxo was somehow interfering. Tabs were still 32bit.

StuartMW
Premium Member

2 edits

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by Mele20:

I even did a direct connection in case Proxo was somehow interfering. Tabs were still 32bit.

No idea what's going on but it's working for at least three of us but we're on Win7 not Win8 (not that it should matter).

I do some tech support in another forum and it's amazing how some (.NET based) software has issues (including on my Win7 x64 machine) on some machines but not others (running the same OS). Software, especially that written in high-level frameworks like .NET, have so many layers and thus complexity that it's a wonder it works at all.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

.NET is and always has been very problematic..with many issues that, as you said, one machine will have and another will not yet they both run the same OS and have all patches, etc. I began using .NET way back on 98SE when 1.0 was still in BETA (I was a beta tester for a program that was being re-written using .NET platform).

I'd like to find someone with Win 8 who has this working correctly. There is one difference between IE 10 on Win 7 64 bit and IE 10 on Win 8 64 bit and that is that Win 7 cannot do App Container for the tabs. Only Win 8 when EPM is turned on runs the tabs in 64 bit AND ALSO in an app container. Maybe my problem is connected to something not working with App Container so IE reverts to running the tabs as 32bit?

I only got one reply so far at TechNet forums. An MVP didn't seem to understand what I was asking and just said that I could see bitness from "Help About IE" box. That is not true for me or for others who have the question about how do they tell if IE 10 is running as hybrid (which is default on 64 bit Windows 8) or as full 64 bit. They say About IE doesn't say..but maybe that is only that it doesn't say if IE is running the tabs as 32 bit. But this MVP didn't say any of this. He just said to check About IE box. So, I posted again and tried to explain better and linked to that Microsoft article.

I don't use IE much but I'd like to run it in full 64bit mode with the tabs in an app container when I do use it.