how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bluepoint

join:2001-03-24
reply to gugarci

Re: IE reborn: Internet Explorer 10 arrives on Windows 7

You can try to look it up online. Go to "manage add-ons" click tracking protection, just below click "get protection list online.." Listings there are for tracking and/or ad blocks, choose your poison.

Expand your moderator at work

gugarci
Premium
join:2004-02-25
Lyndhurst, NJ
reply to bluepoint

I just installed the Fanboy ad &tracking lists and it's working well. Now I can play with IE10

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2
reply to Woody79_00

said by Woody79_00:

1. Right-Click IE10 and select Run As Administrator.

That's what I did. Many programs require Administrator privileges to change system settings. Some will ask to be elevated but some don't which is why I run as Admin as a matter of course (when changing settings).

Since "Enable Enhanced Protected Mode" requires a reboot Admin privileges are almost certainly required for it to actually take effect.
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

SpHeRe31459

join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA

1 recommendation

said by StuartMW:

said by Woody79_00:

That's what I did. Many programs require Administrator privileges to change system settings. Some will ask to be elevated but some don't which is why I run as Admin as a matter of course (when changing settings).

Since "Enable Enhanced Protected Mode" requires a reboot Admin privileges are almost certainly required for it to actually take effect.

On that note, I enabled EPM via the Run As Administrator method and it seemed to actually take effect immediately after closing and reopening IE. I noticed all iexplore.exe instances were then 64-bit in Task Manager. No reboot required. I rebooted for good measure, but it didn't seem to needed.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

said by SpHeRe31459:

On that note, I enabled EPM via the Run As Administrator method and it seemed to actually take effect immediately after closing and reopening IE.

Hmmm I believed what Microsoft has in their dialog

quote:
*Takes effect after you restart your computer

Oh well--I've had to reboot a lot lately (after installing stuff).
--

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to StuartMW

said by StuartMW:

said by Woody79_00:

I run as Admin all the time. I got rid of UAC in the registry because I read if I did that then FINALLY Windows 8 would understand what "Administrator" means. Not only was I tired of UAC prompts even though I was already running as Admin, I really hated no prompt when I was running as Admin and then the program would not run as Admin becuse for some weird reason i was supposed to read Windows' mind and know that I still needed to elevate (to what I have no idea because I was already running as Admin...so the elevation was to "SUPERadmin" which the user has to mind read to know to do that? Absurd). What the heck is an Admin account for if it is not an Admin account? So, I read that the solution was to get rid of UAC entirely in the registry.

So, I had been assuming I was running as Admin when starting IE. I know Microsoft confirmed when I did the registry fix to get rid of UAC that I can no longer open Metro APPS which is fine since I'd like the ability to get rid of Metro entirely. Anyhow, after reading the recent posts here, I went to Windows Explorer and then to IE.exe (how come you can't start it as Admin from a Desktop shortcut or from the Taskbar, but only from going directly to the program folder)? I started it as Admin (no prompts as UAC is completely gone...not disabled but GONE). I tested it repeatedly unchecking EPM hitting apply then rechecking it, etc.

I thought I was successful in getting IE to run as full 64 bit with the tabs sandboxed when I clicked on a Favorites url to check if Java was correctly installed. I got a message that there was no Java installed which is incorrect but would be correct if it is running as full 64bit with no 32 bit processes. I then opened a couple more tabs and checked Process Explorer which showed the tabs running as 32 bit. Soo, it appears to now be running as full 64bit except for the tabs not being sandboxed. Before I elevated to Admin to run it, it was showing Java installed and would run Java applets. So, I have gotten FURTHER in getting it to run as 64bit but the tabs still are running as 32bit.

I also installed Bing Bar again and clicked on some of its icons and they all worked (except Slacker radio that could not connect). Microsoft says Bing Bar doesn't work if IE is running on Win 8 with EPM enabled. I should have gotten a popup about it...I didn't.

I even did a direct connection in case Proxo was somehow interfering. Tabs were still 32bit.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

2 edits

said by Mele20:

I even did a direct connection in case Proxo was somehow interfering. Tabs were still 32bit.

No idea what's going on but it's working for at least three of us but we're on Win7 not Win8 (not that it should matter).

I do some tech support in another forum and it's amazing how some (.NET based) software has issues (including on my Win7 x64 machine) on some machines but not others (running the same OS). Software, especially that written in high-level frameworks like .NET, have so many layers and thus complexity that it's a wonder it works at all.
--

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

.NET is and always has been very problematic..with many issues that, as you said, one machine will have and another will not yet they both run the same OS and have all patches, etc. I began using .NET way back on 98SE when 1.0 was still in BETA (I was a beta tester for a program that was being re-written using .NET platform).

I'd like to find someone with Win 8 who has this working correctly. There is one difference between IE 10 on Win 7 64 bit and IE 10 on Win 8 64 bit and that is that Win 7 cannot do App Container for the tabs. Only Win 8 when EPM is turned on runs the tabs in 64 bit AND ALSO in an app container. Maybe my problem is connected to something not working with App Container so IE reverts to running the tabs as 32bit?

I only got one reply so far at TechNet forums. An MVP didn't seem to understand what I was asking and just said that I could see bitness from "Help About IE" box. That is not true for me or for others who have the question about how do they tell if IE 10 is running as hybrid (which is default on 64 bit Windows 8) or as full 64 bit. They say About IE doesn't say..but maybe that is only that it doesn't say if IE is running the tabs as 32 bit. But this MVP didn't say any of this. He just said to check About IE box. So, I posted again and tried to explain better and linked to that Microsoft article.

I don't use IE much but I'd like to run it in full 64bit mode with the tabs in an app container when I do use it.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

said by Mele20:

I don't use IE much but I'd like to run it in full 64bit mode...

I wasn't aware, until your post, that IE10 x64 didn't run in full 64-bit mode.

That said I've discovered that many "64-bit" programs (even Microsoft's) run in a "hybrid" mode. When I purchased Office 2010 I installed the 64-bit version but found very quickly that it wouldn't work with Microsoft's own "64-bit" version of Mobile Device Center. As it turns out that is a "hybrid" that only works with the 32-bit version of Office!

My guess is that many 64/32-bit issues are just like the ones that occurred with 32/16-bit with the introduction of WinNT 3.1 and later Win95. One day 64-bit will be true but for now we have to live with "hybrids".
--

Name Game
Premium
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:7
reply to Mele20

It will always run 32 with app container in win8.
»blogs.msdn.com/b/ieinternals/arc···top.aspx

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to StuartMW

It is sort of like the situation was a few years ago with DEP. I have had hardware DEP on XP for many years but many programs had to be opted out or they wouldn't run or would run and suddenly crash and sometimes also freeze the PC. Even after most browsers were capable of running with DEP on, IE, Word, etc. still would not run with it on. These days, I still can't use Always ON for DEP on the XP computer because one program that is no longer developed won't run if I use always on setting and another one no longer developed runs but the GUI part doesn't run and this program you have to be able to interact with it. But all browsers and Microsoft programs now run with DEP on on XP but the progress for achieving this was very slow (especally to me as I got if not the first, one of the first, Intel processors capable of hardware DEP so it has been a long, long time before I could really use that "neat" feature and I still can't do Always on.

Microsoft says the reason that IE 10 runs as hybrid on Win 7 or 8 64bit (unless you turn on EPM) is because things break if you use full 64 bit IE (with or without App Container). That's just like trying to use hardware DEP for all programs a few years ago on XP.
--

dllhostexe

@anonymouse.org

1 edit
reply to Name Game

Added this tweak to my w7 x64 ie 10 install;

Enable More Simultaneous Downloads:

MaxConnectionsPerServer

MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server

Both options set as 32

Ive noticed no ill effects for those that had this tweak applied to ie9.

After I installed ie10 ive noticed an extra dllhost.exe under process described as com surrogate, is this normal? I should also ass that ive enabled enhanced protection as was described in previous posts. I think this is linked to it but I could be wrong, it only popped up after the ie10 install though. Running x64 ie10.

cheers

Woody79_00
I run Linux am I still a PC?
Premium
join:2004-07-08
united state

1 recommendation

reply to Mele20

I have it working correctly, it works as intended if you don't muck with the OS doing things you don't have any idea what the ramifications are.

I'll tell you why its not working, its because not only have you disabled UAC, but you went into the registry and hacked UAC even further to the point the entire security model of the OS is now broken.

Listen Mele, disabling UAC is running as root user....so whats the point security wise? AppContainer isn't going to do you no good anyways because your running as root.

That would be like setting up Software Restriction Polices to apply to all users except local administrators, and then running as administrator/root all the time disabling UAC and then expecting SRP to actaully work......

The first rule i learned in Linux use was never, never, never, never, never, never, ever, run as the root user period...Root is only to be used to update the system and it better have a strong password on it.....you don't use the root account for the daily function of your computer? thats crazy to expect any kind of security when doing that...

The reason yours isn't working is because you have changed the registry and hacked/disaled UAC...AppContainers are not going to work when you do that...because AppContainers are designed to restrict the browser "when run as a user with UAC on" not when the system is being run as root.

You have most likely not only messed up UAC, but you have probably ruined your SAT (Security Access Tokens)»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Access_token and your NTFS permissions and security may be borked beyond repair thanks to you mucking with the registry and made changes to ACL's....

In your case Mele, the only way to get AppContainers to work on Windows 8 for you would be a re-install of the OS and leave UAC alone....its not different then the sudo program for Linux that has been around for years....leave it alone and don't mess with the registry.

If you hate the Metro screen so much (im not a big fan) then use Classic Shell to bypass it...Classic Shel uses key presses and doesn't muck with the Registry or any other OS files when it does it, and thats the reason I am using it....

But thats why yours isn't working..you have bypassed the entire Windows security model...so whats really the point? why would you even expect it to work? when your running as root....root is Superadmin so its counter-productive to thing restrictive rights security issues would even work while running as root...

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

Out of curiosity..

Under Win7, and Vista before it, the (actual) Administrator account is disabled by default. One can use a standard user account that has administrator privileges when elevated. Is Win8 the same?
--

Phoenix22
Death From Above
Premium
join:2001-12-11
SOG C&C Nrth
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..
reply to Name Game

said by Name Game:

Here are some things to expect with ....

IE10 on Windows 7: 5 Essential Facts
»www.informationweek.com/software···40149499

more about the wizard of redmond here>> »technet.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/jj643259
--
101ST ABN Div. (AirAssault) "Rendezvous With Destiny!" "Night Stalkers/Phoenix Flight" For Buddy...who lived it! Whiskey for my men and beer for my horses! H.A.L.O!, 5th Grp., MACV SOG, 160TH AVN SOG, Death From Above, VFW, AmLegion

Phoenix22
Death From Above
Premium
join:2001-12-11
SOG C&C Nrth
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to Anon

i sent you the meter.....use it! imo!

i'm runnin' IE10 and the wizard.......itz g2g......

my sys is: w/7 sp1/ i7-930 w/24gb of memory
windows update automatically threw in the platform update yesterday........so if your a regular w/wu........all ya have 2do is kill this thread and dnld the new browser......i've had it runnin' my utoob jazz lists 4-4hours now.......w/o a hiccup........fyi.........jus sayin'

compatmode

@comcast.net
reply to Mele20

Mele20, hacking up the registry is likely the cause of your problems with IE10. Some people annoyed by UAC, and those who disable it, will on occasion find themselves needing admin rights for certain programs, and can't. The only solution in that case is to run the app in compatibility mode for the OS they're currently using. Try running IE10 in compatibility mode -Windows 8.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to Woody79_00

I don't think you know what I did at all. You have written a rant in which you have shown no real knowledge about what a lot of geeks (which I am not but I am more knowledgeable than average users) who don't like UAC do. I could tell you what I did, but I want you to tell me what I did because I don't think you know and if you don't know then how could you possibly know what I did would have all the ramifications that you claim "it" (and you don't what "it" is precisely) has? You don't even seem to grasp the distinction between a user admin account and the hidden, default admin account in Windows 8 (this is not XP). You have made a lot of assumptions about what I have done and then you proceeded to base a rant on the incorrect assumptions you have made.

Many have done what I did and it doesn't affect IE, according to others, it doesn't "wreck one's computer (to the contrary it makes your computer far more useable and under your control which is what a knowledgeable user wants) and is quite easy to reverse. Microsoft even expects some power users to do it and warns you what will be affected (Metro apps) which most power users don't want anyway. If Microsoft had correctly implemented UAC, I might have put up with it (from a user admin account) but when I am NOT prompted and elevation is required even from a user admin account, which happened hundreds of times and my programs become broken because of this, and it is very difficult to get them working ...then I will not use UAC and no sane person would. XP remains the last great OS because it respected power users and did not mollycoddle the lazy users who refuse personal responsibility to take time and effort to learn about the complex machine they are using. But Microsoft is afraid of Apple and I understand. Apple owns all its users and Microsoft is trying to become another Apple which is sad but when the majority of users refuse to take responsibility and would rather be owned instead of be free because it takes effort to not be owned...this is what happens.

And yes, I purchased Start8 which, IMO, is much better than Classic Shell. I tried the latter and I am surprised, based on your other comments, that you would recommend it over Start8 as Classic Shell reaches much deeper and wider and has potentially bad ramifications that are lacking in Start8 because it is much more precise and confined as to what it does. I prefer the more narrow path to having a solution whereby I can stay with the desktop 99% of the time and even boot to it.
--

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:17
reply to Name Game

Added comments feedback.

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3
reply to Name Game

I'm not installing IE 10 if it requires that Platform update. I just went through crap and had to get rid of it because it caused stability issues.

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11

2 edits

1 recommendation

I don't see why you couldn't try installing IE10 without the Platform Update? The only thing I could see happening (as I don't know for certain if it's a requirement) is IE10s setup fetching and applying the update before it installs IE10. If it's really needed... IE10 should install it first.

After some research it appears IE10 will install this update.

said by Microsoft.com :
Internet Explorer 10 for Windows 7 SP1 Installation Prerequisites

The installation of Internet Explorer 10 for Windows 7 SP1 includes the installation of some additional required components and prerequisites, based on the target operating system. Uninstalling one of these prerequisites, KB 2670838 - A platform update is available for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, will result in uninstallation of IE10. If any of the other required components and prerequisites are uninstalled, Internet Explorer 10 may experience reliability issues. If uninstalling the RTM version of KB2670838 from a previous Release Preview version, you will need to uninstall the Release Preview version of KB2670838 as well before it appears as completely removed. Uninstalling Internet Explorer 10 for Windows 7 SP1 will leave the prerequisites still installed. For a list of required prerequisites, see KB 2818833 - Internet Explorer 10 for Windows 7 Installation Prerequisites.
--
Remember that cool hidden "Graffiti Wall" here on BBR? After the name change I became the "owner", so to speak as it became: Dustyn's Wall »[Serious] RIP

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:17
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico

1 recommendation

reply to La Luna

So we're clear what we're talking about, La Luna See Profile
This: »support.microsoft.com/kb/2670838/en-us
While I do not know with any certainty if it is a pre-requisite for IE 10, the platform was installed on my machine when it was available on WU -
I have no stability issues to report.
The folks at MS Answers would probably know more.

If I hear more on all this from lists or elsewhere I surely will bring it here.

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3

1 recommendation

There are issues with that update, there is another thread about it.

»KB2670838 Win 7 platform update

As I understand (and Dustyn See Profile verified), KB2670838 is required for IE 10 and if it's not installed, will install along with IE 10. Which doesn't bode well for those of us having a problem with it.

As per Dustyn See Profile:

»Re: IE reborn: Internet Explorer 10 arrives on Windows 7

Thanks Dustyn!

Edit: It was offered to me as an 'optional update' in Windows Update, but I guess it's not optional if you want IE 10.
--
The Alien in the White House

20,196 DEADLY TERROR ATTACKS SINCE 9/11

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11

1 recommendation

You are welcome La Luna See Profile. Apparently this Platform Update isn't all that new either...
Anyone that was using the preview version of IE10 would have had KB2670838 automatically installed also. It has since been revised.
--
Remember that cool hidden "Graffiti Wall" here on BBR? After the name change I became the "owner", so to speak as it became: Dustyn's Wall »[Serious] RIP