Premium
join:2001-12-11
SOG C&C Nrth
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..
reply to Name Game

Re: IE reborn: Internet Explorer 10 arrives on Windows 7

said by Name Game:

Here are some things to expect with ....

IE10 on Windows 7: 5 Essential Facts
»www.informationweek.com/software···40149499

more about the wizard of redmond here>> »technet.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/jj643259
--
101ST ABN Div. (AirAssault) "Rendezvous With Destiny!" "Night Stalkers/Phoenix Flight" For Buddy...who lived it! Whiskey for my men and beer for my horses! H.A.L.O!, 5th Grp., MACV SOG, 160TH AVN SOG, Death From Above, VFW, AmLegion

Phoenix22
Death From Above
Premium
join:2001-12-11
SOG C&C Nrth
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to Anon
i sent you the meter.....use it! imo!

i'm runnin' IE10 and the wizard.......itz g2g......

my sys is: w/7 sp1/ i7-930 w/24gb of memory
windows update automatically threw in the platform update yesterday........so if your a regular w/wu........all ya have 2do is kill this thread and dnld the new browser......i've had it runnin' my utoob jazz lists 4-4hours now.......w/o a hiccup........fyi.........jus sayin'

compatmode

@comcast.net
reply to Mele20
Mele20, hacking up the registry is likely the cause of your problems with IE10. Some people annoyed by UAC, and those who disable it, will on occasion find themselves needing admin rights for certain programs, and can't. The only solution in that case is to run the app in compatibility mode for the OS they're currently using. Try running IE10 in compatibility mode -Windows 8.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to Woody79_00
I don't think you know what I did at all. You have written a rant in which you have shown no real knowledge about what a lot of geeks (which I am not but I am more knowledgeable than average users) who don't like UAC do. I could tell you what I did, but I want you to tell me what I did because I don't think you know and if you don't know then how could you possibly know what I did would have all the ramifications that you claim "it" (and you don't what "it" is precisely) has? You don't even seem to grasp the distinction between a user admin account and the hidden, default admin account in Windows 8 (this is not XP). You have made a lot of assumptions about what I have done and then you proceeded to base a rant on the incorrect assumptions you have made.

Many have done what I did and it doesn't affect IE, according to others, it doesn't "wreck one's computer (to the contrary it makes your computer far more useable and under your control which is what a knowledgeable user wants) and is quite easy to reverse. Microsoft even expects some power users to do it and warns you what will be affected (Metro apps) which most power users don't want anyway. If Microsoft had correctly implemented UAC, I might have put up with it (from a user admin account) but when I am NOT prompted and elevation is required even from a user admin account, which happened hundreds of times and my programs become broken because of this, and it is very difficult to get them working ...then I will not use UAC and no sane person would. XP remains the last great OS because it respected power users and did not mollycoddle the lazy users who refuse personal responsibility to take time and effort to learn about the complex machine they are using. But Microsoft is afraid of Apple and I understand. Apple owns all its users and Microsoft is trying to become another Apple which is sad but when the majority of users refuse to take responsibility and would rather be owned instead of be free because it takes effort to not be owned...this is what happens.

And yes, I purchased Start8 which, IMO, is much better than Classic Shell. I tried the latter and I am surprised, based on your other comments, that you would recommend it over Start8 as Classic Shell reaches much deeper and wider and has potentially bad ramifications that are lacking in Start8 because it is much more precise and confined as to what it does. I prefer the more narrow path to having a solution whereby I can stay with the desktop 99% of the time and even boot to it.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:17
reply to Name Game
Added comments feedback.

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3
reply to Name Game
I'm not installing IE 10 if it requires that Platform update. I just went through crap and had to get rid of it because it caused stability issues.

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11

2 edits

1 recommendation

I don't see why you couldn't try installing IE10 without the Platform Update? The only thing I could see happening (as I don't know for certain if it's a requirement) is IE10s setup fetching and applying the update before it installs IE10. If it's really needed... IE10 should install it first.

After some research it appears IE10 will install this update.
said by Microsoft.com :
Internet Explorer 10 for Windows 7 SP1 Installation Prerequisites

The installation of Internet Explorer 10 for Windows 7 SP1 includes the installation of some additional required components and prerequisites, based on the target operating system. Uninstalling one of these prerequisites, KB 2670838 - A platform update is available for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, will result in uninstallation of IE10. If any of the other required components and prerequisites are uninstalled, Internet Explorer 10 may experience reliability issues. If uninstalling the RTM version of KB2670838 from a previous Release Preview version, you will need to uninstall the Release Preview version of KB2670838 as well before it appears as completely removed. Uninstalling Internet Explorer 10 for Windows 7 SP1 will leave the prerequisites still installed. For a list of required prerequisites, see KB 2818833 - Internet Explorer 10 for Windows 7 Installation Prerequisites.
--
Remember that cool hidden "Graffiti Wall" here on BBR? After the name change I became the "owner", so to speak as it became: Dustyn's Wall »[Serious] RIP

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:17
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico

1 recommendation

reply to La Luna
So we're clear what we're talking about, La Luna See Profile
This: »support.microsoft.com/kb/2670838/en-us
While I do not know with any certainty if it is a pre-requisite for IE 10, the platform was installed on my machine when it was available on WU -
I have no stability issues to report.
The folks at MS Answers would probably know more.

If I hear more on all this from lists or elsewhere I surely will bring it here.

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
Warwick, NY

1 recommendation

There are issues with that update, there is another thread about it.

»KB2670838 Win 7 platform update

As I understand (and Dustyn See Profile verified), KB2670838 is required for IE 10 and if it's not installed, will install along with IE 10. Which doesn't bode well for those of us having a problem with it.

As per Dustyn See Profile:

»Re: IE reborn: Internet Explorer 10 arrives on Windows 7

Thanks Dustyn!

Edit: It was offered to me as an 'optional update' in Windows Update, but I guess it's not optional if you want IE 10.
--
The Alien in the White House

20,196 DEADLY TERROR ATTACKS SINCE 9/11

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN

1 recommendation

You are welcome La Luna See Profile. Apparently this Platform Update isn't all that new either...
Anyone that was using the preview version of IE10 would have had KB2670838 automatically installed also. It has since been revised.
--
Remember that cool hidden "Graffiti Wall" here on BBR? After the name change I became the "owner", so to speak as it became: Dustyn's Wall »[Serious] RIP

xpclient

join:2009-08-26

1 recommendation

reply to Mele20
Btw, may I know what you think Start8 is better than Classic Shell? I mean bcoz it looks better or some other reason? Classic Shell is extremely popular and doesn't have "potentially bad ramifications" since we only use documented APIs. No hackery involved.

AS47

@optusnet.com.au
reply to Dustyn
Sorry for cross poosting and if I need to post this question somewhere I am happy to do so but hope someone can help. I have W7 and all the necessary updates and everytime I installed IE10 after the reboot IE is no longer visible in any app list or start menu? If I type iexplore at run window on the start menu it states something along the lines of "tried to run application at incorrect memory address"

Basically IE 10 is not there. It's like it just got rid of IE 9 but left it on disk because when I search for IE I find the old logo and code in the usual C:\programs\internet explorer folder but nothing looks new. I search "turn off or on windows features" and it states IE10 is installed and the installation didn't throw up any errors.

I'd love to use IE10 but just can't. I live in Australia and notice when I go to windows.com it takes me to the US site to install (just mentioning this in case it is relevant). Thanks for any help in advance.

therube

join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon Online DSL
His other thread for reference, IE10 installed but not there!?

What is the exact message you're given?
Anything pertinent logged in Event Viewer?

jadinolf
I love you Fred
Premium
join:2005-07-09
Ojai, CA
kudos:8

1 recommendation

reply to Name Game
I also don't use IE but I've just got to see what it looks like.
--
Printed on 100% recycled bytes

AS147

@optusnet.com.au
reply to therube
Hi, I scanned the event log before posting and there were no errors reported anywhere and as the installation log you found from my other posting suggests all installed correctly.

I can't recall the exact error message when trying to run IE but I am almost certain the rror message is because I am trying to run the old version of IE found on the C drive and it has been uninstalled so the program is reporting a memory location error because it is not installed so the system can't run it.

So I don't think this error message is going to give us the solution. I am not sure what will but perhaps the earlier error message that "a higher version of IE is already installed might help?"

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium
join:2012-10-18
reply to Name Game
Installed with ease IE 10 on Win 7 64 bit and it was fast and effortless and runs great. It is also much faster than previous versions of IE.
--
The signal is usually drowned out by the noise.

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback
reply to Name Game

IE10 finally came through as an important update for me.

Is it really worth the update yet?

therube

Randallstown, MD
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to Name Game
So while it seems that IE10 is now being offered through automatic updates (even if not default enabled), the what was reported to be prerequisite for IE10, KB2670838 (»KB2670838 Win 7 platform update) is not being offered?

(I've put in today's update to IE9 & I'll wait a bit & see how IE10/KB2670838 plays out.)

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2
reply to norwegian
said by norwegian:

Is it really worth the update yet?

Well "how long is a piece of string?" I got it to take a look but haven't used it since.

If you pay-per-byte of traffic where you are I'd pass otherwise the choice is yours.
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

SpHeRe31459
Premium
join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA
reply to therube
I saw it offered on all the Win 7 machines I've touched today at work. It's listed under Optional updates, rather than Important. It's a prereq for IE10 on Win7 so it would be installed if you choose IE10. It can also be installed independently if for some reason you want the platform update but not IE10 yet.

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN
reply to therube
said by therube:

So while it seems that IE10 is now being offered through automatic updates (even if not default enabled), the what was reported to be prerequisite for IE10, KB2670838 (»KB2670838 Win 7 platform update) is not being offered?

(I've put in today's update to IE9 & I'll wait a bit & see how IE10/KB2670838 plays out.)

IE10 will install KB2670838.
»Re: IE reborn: Internet Explorer 10 arrives on Windows 7
--

therube

Randallstown, MD
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to SpHeRe31459
quote:
It's listed under Optional updates, rather than Important. It's a prereq for IE10 on Win7 so it would be installed if you choose IE10. It can also be installed independently if for some reason you want the platform update but not IE10 yet.
Ah, OK, you're right, listed under Optional.
But then if you were to install IE10, & it is a prerequisite, then its not optional at that point .

So then many Mozilla users will be complaining once IE10 is installed.

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
Warwick, NY
I am not installing IE 10 because of that KB, it didn't play nice with my Windows 7 laptop. I don't really care as I use Firefox anyway.

SpHeRe31459
Premium
join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA
reply to therube
IE10 isn't checked by default, and if MS's behavior holds true, it won't get checked to be installed automatically for another or month or two, just as it did with IE9.

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback
It was unchecked here too, but like all other versions, you just wonder if it is worth it by the time it does become classed as an automatic download - still I have no auto updates on my machine, I gather it will never get on the XP machines. I'm just curious of mileage.

Littlem129
Premium
join:2007-05-13
White Pine, TN
reply to Name Game
I went ahead and took the plunge with IE 10 yesterday. I got the KB2670838 update on 02/27 and I've not had any problems with it so I figured I would give IE 10 a try. Working well so far, but I haven't used it that much. I just tried it for a few minutes to see if it would run without any major problems and it is so now I'm back to my fav Firefox.

beck
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Stablehost.com
reply to Name Game
It's flat. Look at the scroll bars. The forward and back buttons. Sheesh! Can hardly see where to hook onto the scroll bar to scroll if I need to. Actually, don't look wild and wonderful to me. It looks boring.

I suppose that if I had a touch screen, I wouldn't be using a scroll bar. But I don't have that. Why would they change it so it doesn't use the system defaults? They could have just left it alone, but MS is such a pita. They are like a bull in a china shop.

I have to use IE for some sites I go to. But otherwise it will still be put aside. Sad.
--
Damn spy drones!
They are interfering
with my sun spots.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12

quote:
It's Flat
Indeed its sad isnt it?

Smokey Bear
veritas odium parit
Premium
join:2008-03-15
Annie's Pub
kudos:4
said by Dude111:
quote:
It's Flat
Indeed its sad isnt it?

Dude, really sad is to stick with the most decrepit browser in the world, IE6.

goalieskates
Premium
join:2004-09-12
land of big
reply to beck

Re: IE reborn: Internet Explorer 10 arrives on Windows 7

said by beck:

It's flat. Look at the scroll bars. The forward and back buttons. Sheesh! Can hardly see where to hook onto the scroll bar to scroll if I need to. Actually, don't look wild and wonderful to me. It looks boring.

But it's very Metro. Which to me looks sort of like Win95 revisited. Difference being, we had limited colors back then and this was a choice. heh

Grunge came and went. Glass came and went. This too shall pass.