Your Daddy
Premium Member
join:2001-11-26
Earth

1 recommendation

Exodus

Premium Member

It's YT's Problem

I have 75/35 FIOS. I can pull down files at 10.5MB/sec, but I can't stream a lousy Youtube video on normal quality? I can't even get 720 to cooperate half the time and don't even bother with 1080. This happens at work, my house, my old house, on wi-fi, 3G, 4G, it doesn't matter.
m3nphls
join:2012-10-02
Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

m3nphls

Same here with FiOS 50/25. Issue is fix if I refresh a couple of times but its annoying.

TamaraB
Question The Current Paradigm
Premium Member
join:2000-11-08
Da Bronx
·Verizon FiOS
Ubiquiti NSM5
Synology RT2600ac
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)

TamaraB to Exodus

Premium Member

to Exodus
That's interesting. I was disappointed that FIOS was not available in the new neighborhood I moved into. I had to settle for CV. I don't have your speeds:

But I can stream HD on 2 machines simultaneously while doing a large FTP download without a stutter.

I thought FIOS was the creme de la creme!
afro561
join:2002-11-12
Baltimore, MD

afro561 to Exodus

to Exodus
I've also had major issues on Time Warner with 30/5 service. Barely can stream 720p in the evening.

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
Earth

Exodus to TamaraB

Premium Member

to TamaraB
I can max out my pipe. The bottleneck exists somewhere external to my own connection.

Frank
Premium Member
join:2000-11-03
somewhere

Frank to Exodus

Premium Member

to Exodus
not necessarily, could be an isp peering issue

TamaraB
Question The Current Paradigm
Premium Member
join:2000-11-08
Da Bronx
·Verizon FiOS
Ubiquiti NSM5
Synology RT2600ac
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)

TamaraB to Exodus

Premium Member

to Exodus
said by Exodus:

I can max out my pipe. The bottleneck exists somewhere external to my own connection.

Obviously. What services are impacted? Only streaming video?

brian
Premium Member
join:2002-05-02
Mission Viejo, CA

brian to Exodus

Premium Member

to Exodus
Really? I've had zero problems with streaming Youtube (including 1080p) at work (fat univeristy pipe), home (Cox - 18/2, but recently speed tests at 25/15) or over Verizon LTE. Hell, I was even able to stream some HQ cartoons for the kid over Target's wifi the other day. This story is the first I've heard of the problem.

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
Earth

Exodus to TamaraB

Premium Member

to TamaraB
Just the streaming. I guess the guy above is right, possibly a peering issue.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to Exodus

Premium Member

to Exodus

Using YouTube HTML5 trial speeds are fine

I joined YouTube's HTML5 trial and speeds are fine for those videos encoded for HTML5. But when it switches to Flash, the speeds can sometimes crawl.

You can join the HTML5 trial at YouTube here:
»www.youtube.com/html5

P.S.>> Most videos supplied by content companies, as opposed to user submitted videos, have ads in them. Most videos with ads will only run in the Flash player.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList to Exodus

Premium Member

to Exodus

Re: It's YT's Problem

probably on verizons network
Rekrul
join:2007-04-21
Milford, CT

Rekrul to FFH5

to FFH5

Re: Using YouTube HTML5 trial speeds are fine

said by FFH5:

P.S.>> Most videos supplied by content companies, as opposed to user submitted videos, have ads in them. Most videos with ads will only run in the Flash player.

I've been using the MVP Hosts file for 2-3 years now and I literally never see any ads on YouTube. No popup ads, no ads playing before the videos, no ads on the site itself. Other than the commercials that people upload as videos, YouTube is 100% ad-free for me.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx to Frank

to Frank

It's definitely ISP peering issues. See the post I"m about to make.

weaseled386
join:2008-04-13
Edgewater, FL

weaseled386 to FFH5

to FFH5

I just joined, and -- oddly enough -- the same videos I had issues with this morning are streaming fine. Chalk it up to time of day, but not so much as a hiccup.

graycorgi
Premium Member
join:2004-02-23

1 recommendation

graycorgi to Rekrul

Premium Member

to Rekrul
Even if you use the hosts file or adblock or whatever, it will still force you to view in flash if the video is supposed to have ads.
Rekrul
join:2007-04-21
Milford, CT

1 recommendation

Rekrul

said by graycorgi:

Even if you use the hosts file or adblock or whatever, it will still force you to view in flash if the video is supposed to have ads.

Mine is set to use Flash anyway. I forget exactly what it was, but I had some problem with some of the HTML5 videos.
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

1 recommendation

ke4pym to brian

Premium Member

to brian

said by brian:

Really? I've had zero problems with streaming Youtube (including 1080p) at work (fat univeristy pipe), home (Cox - 18/2, but recently speed tests at 25/15) or over Verizon LTE. Hell, I was even able to stream some HQ cartoons for the kid over Target's wifi the other day. This story is the first I've heard of the problem.

Consider yourself lucky. I have horrible problems with YouTube (and Maps) at home (30/5), work - 4 fat network pipes, on my 3G data card and either of my LTE enabled cell phones, all while sitting under a Verizon tower.

One thing I have noticed is a 480 clip will play fine. A 720p clip will play okay, but a 1080p clip, sucks hairy donkey balls.
ke4pym

1 recommendation

ke4pym to graycorgi

Premium Member

to graycorgi

said by graycorgi:

I've never seen an ad on Youtube when using a browser with Adblock. Wish I could cram that on my cell phones...

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude to Rekrul

Premium Member

to Rekrul
said by Rekrul:

said by graycorgi:

Mine is set to use Flash anyway. I forget exactly what it was, but I had some problem with some of the HTML5 videos.

I can't block HTML5 videos like Flash.

graycorgi
Premium Member
join:2004-02-23

1 recommendation

graycorgi to ke4pym

Premium Member

to ke4pym
I'm not saying you see ads, I am saying it forces you to watch the video in flash even if you are in the HTML5 trial. You don't see the ad.
kerya666
join:2002-12-20
Valrico, FL

kerya666 to Exodus

to Exodus

I noticed these issues since about 12/2012 ... I got Bright House (TimeWarner) + smart phone on AT&T's network and videos are absolutely slower up until now. Some videos constantly buffer and play a second or two and then go back to buffering ...even 240p quality.

Gotta test some of these "tweaks" to see if anything helps.
ArizonaSteve
join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ

ArizonaSteve to FFH5

to FFH5

HTML5 player still uses Flash! I can't tell any difference either way.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
Netgear WNDR3700v2
Zoom 5341J

KrK to Exodus

Premium Member

to Exodus

It's not YouTube's problem. They want the eyeballs. They correct issues on their end.

If you want to find the problem, you have to follow the money. Who DOESN'T want you to easily access YouTube? Who wants more money from YouTube? Who feels that YouTube is in some way competition to their own content or goals?

If you find these answers, you will also find the source of your YT issues.

voiplover
Premium Member
join:2004-05-28
Portsmouth, NH

voiplover to TamaraB

Premium Member

to TamaraB

HERE is the FIX!

Taken from another thread
said by Xioden:

This might be of use to anyone having issues with YouTube.

This isn't Time Warner Cable specific despite the link/title text.

said by »dd.reddit.com/r/DotA2/co ··· ottling/ :

Sorry if this was posted before. I did a quick search and didn't see anything, but anyways...

Turns out that there's some bandwidth throttling that TWC does to cache servers that host video content for web services (YouTube, Netflix, twitch.tv, etc.).

To get around this, you can block the following IP ranges (Windows Firewall, ipfw in Linux):

173.194.55.0/24

206.111.0.0/16

By blocking these addresses, the videos will be served to you directly instead of being throttled by the ISP. You can read more info about it here. It should have some more detailed information and links to some videos and tutorials for Windows, OSX, and Linux.

I just did this in Windows 8, and I went from barely being able to watch Merlini on 360p, to watching him without skipping at 1200p+. Hope it helps!

28619103 (banned)
join:2009-03-01

3 edits

28619103 (banned) to KrK

to KrK

Riiiiiiiiiight.... even though this thread has may customer complaints across many different ISPS... specifically to YouTube vs other services across similar links....

While... Google Ads, Google search and all other profitable G$$gle services work great...

You are right in one area... follow the money.

[Edit: removed the word "Every" as that would be hard to prove. It is likely that at least Google Fiber has good performance to Youtube.]

Whocares
@mchsi.com

Whocares to ke4pym

Anon

to ke4pym

If you are using android and are rooted you can use Ad block + for android.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

KrK to 28619103

Premium Member

to 28619103

The thing is, it ISN'T every ISP now is it?

Just certain ones.
TheRogueX
join:2003-03-26
Springfield, MO

TheRogueX to voiplover

to voiplover

Re: HERE is the FIX!

This worked for me.

ChuckcZar
@teksavvy.com

ChuckcZar to kerya666

Anon

to kerya666

It started about two years earlier in Canada (though few had high enough bandwidth to stream 1080P in Canada) and has finally spread to the rest of the world years later in the future. 100 percent certain the isp's in Canada throttled youtube but finally it appears youtube is throttled at the source now.
Crookshanks
join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

Crookshanks to KrK

to KrK
Netflix is far more of a threat to traditional ISPs than Youtube, somehow I don't see Time Warner Cable's CEO up late at night worrying about video clips of sleeping puppies and laser pointer chasing cats.

Interesting how Netflix isn't having issues to this extent on any of these ISPs.
page: 1 · 2 · next