join:2000-11-08
Da Bronx
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Clearwire Wireless
reply to Archivis

Re: It's YT's Problem

That's interesting. I was disappointed that FIOS was not available in the new neighborhood I moved into. I had to settle for CV. I don't have your speeds:

But I can stream HD on 2 machines simultaneously while doing a large FTP download without a stutter.

I thought FIOS was the creme de la creme!

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19
I can max out my pipe. The bottleneck exists somewhere external to my own connection.

TamaraB
Question The Current Paradigm
Premium
join:2000-11-08
Da Bronx
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Clearwire Wireless
said by Archivis:

I can max out my pipe. The bottleneck exists somewhere external to my own connection.

Obviously. What services are impacted? Only streaming video?

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19
Just the streaming. I guess the guy above is right, possibly a peering issue.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Brighton, MA
reply to Archivis
probably on verizons network

kerya666

join:2002-12-20
Valrico, FL
reply to Archivis
I noticed these issues since about 12/2012 ... I got Bright House (TimeWarner) + smart phone on AT&T's network and videos are absolutely slower up until now. Some videos constantly buffer and play a second or two and then go back to buffering ...even 240p quality.

Gotta test some of these "tweaks" to see if anything helps.

voiplover
Premium
join:2004-05-28
Portsmouth, NH
reply to TamaraB

HERE is the FIX!

Taken from another thread
said by Xioden:

This might be of use to anyone having issues with YouTube.

This isn't Time Warner Cable specific despite the link/title text.

said by »dd.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/1 ··· ottling/ :

Sorry if this was posted before. I did a quick search and didn't see anything, but anyways...

Turns out that there's some bandwidth throttling that TWC does to cache servers that host video content for web services (YouTube, Netflix, twitch.tv, etc.).

To get around this, you can block the following IP ranges (Windows Firewall, ipfw in Linux):

173.194.55.0/24

206.111.0.0/16

By blocking these addresses, the videos will be served to you directly instead of being throttled by the ISP. You can read more info about it here. It should have some more detailed information and links to some videos and tutorials for Windows, OSX, and Linux.

I just did this in Windows 8, and I went from barely being able to watch Merlini on 360p, to watching him without skipping at 1200p+. Hope it helps!

TheRogueX

join:2003-03-26
Springfield, MO
This worked for me.

ChuckcZar

@teksavvy.com
reply to kerya666

Re: It's YT's Problem

It started about two years earlier in Canada (though few had high enough bandwidth to stream 1080P in Canada) and has finally spread to the rest of the world years later in the future. 100 percent certain the isp's in Canada throttled youtube but finally it appears youtube is throttled at the source now.