thecybernerd
Premium Member
join:2007-01-05
New York, NY

thecybernerd

Premium Member

Email the Google NOC

noc@google.com

They can troubleshoot issues with you. More contact info below. as well as peering info.

»www.peeringdb.com/privat ··· p?id=433

David
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

David

Premium Member

Re: Email the Google NOC

yeeaaah, don't waste your time.

I emailed them the first, 2nd and 3rd time this problem cropped up, and didn't even so much as get an acknowledgment.

I am kind of glad this topic came out now. Least now I know there is two IP ranges to block. The fact that one of them belongs to XO just puts icing on the cake.

I say give them network engineers a headache.

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop

"I emailed them the first, 2nd and 3rd time this problem cropped up, and didn't even so much as get an acknowledgment."

You won't get one unless you are a technical contact for another ISP. You will pretty much get the same response for just about every contact you will find in that database. Unless you are someone who is responsible for peering with one of those companies you won't get the time of day.

OSUGoose
join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH

OSUGoose

Um, you do know what Davids role is right

battleop

battleop

Nope.
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

cramer to OSUGoose

Premium Member

to OSUGoose
Not the Google Peering Contact for SBC, obviously.

(Having been a noc@ person in a previous life, you would not believe the amount of pure shit that lands there. And I've had far too many "conversations" with uneducated (read: know nothing about BGP, IP, routing, or the internet) customer peering contacts.)

OSUGoose
join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH

OSUGoose

I'm leaving that open for him to respond to as im not 100% how far up he is now, or what contacts he has that may be.

Interesting question to sidebar, I've allays wondered what happen to the emails that get sent from spamcop to NOC's.

David
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

David

Premium Member

said by OSUGoose:

I'm leaving that open for him to respond to as im not 100% how far up he is now, or what contacts he has that may be.

My bosses just tell me "get it done" and if I have a problem send it to them and they can get the answers. My bosses are much higher on the food chain that my local mgmnt. I got to email Mr. Stankey once, and Randall himself a few times in my career.

I think for Randall's I kept it simple. It was something like (this was a few years ago and not exactly sure on the email)

Hey Randall,

FYI: I started investigating and working on this one. Any questions just hit me up.

Thanks
David

As far as Google noc: I just wanted to ask some questions and get some information. I wasn't asking for the key to the Google city, just some strange stuff I was seeing in trace-routes, and asking other peers on what they thought. I wasn't accusing anyone of anything, just investigating. I have no wish being all "law and order" on anyone. Just a simple acknowledgment and dialogue would have sufficed.

As I said: Give google/youtube a headache, maybe they will pay attention and fix the problems this time. Then again maybe they won't care, that is where karl4 See Profile comes in. I can't imagine all these ISP's across multiple continents (a friend of the family was in egypt on a fiber line having this problem in a hotel) having this problem and google/youtube knows nothing? Not buying it for $1

battleop

battleop to David

to David
"I say give them network engineers a headache."

Good luck getting to us...
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

cramer

Premium Member

Indeed. Real Engineers don't answer their phone(s). [unless I know who's calling. and sometimes, especially not then.]

(I've consolidated (VoIP)... I'm down to 2 phones and a cell. )

battleop

battleop

My cell phone and work number are two of the most closely kept secrets in our company. It's not that difficult to get to me IF you go through the proper channels. If you try and bypass the proper channels you will never talk to me again. Even internally you have to go thorough the proper channels.

At first our CEO didn't like this but then I asked him if we have a major outage what do you want for me to do? Chat it up with customers or fix the problem?

I worked at a place where everyone and anyone had all of your numbers. When something did break it was stressful and counter productive for your phone to ring every 30 seconds with some guy asking you the same damn questions the last guy asked.
battleop

1 recommendation

battleop to thecybernerd

to thecybernerd
No they will not. The Peering DB is not in for use by an ISPs end uers. It's setup for NetOPs to NetOps communication to work things out. If you are not part of your ISP's peering group then you have no business making use of the peering DB to fix your youtube addiction.