spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Will Hill

join:2009-06-07

[General] VoIP Service for $15/Month on Month-to-Month plan

Do any of the better (reliable) VoIP providers discussed here offer unlimited domestic (or even just "local") service for not exceeding $15 a month?

Thank You

Stewart

join:2005-07-13
kudos:29

1 edit
VOIPo and Future-Nine come to mind. Phonepower comes pretty close ($15 + tax and USF/911 fees). If you are willing to pay for a year up front, perhaps after trying the service for a month or two, all of these offer a substantial discount.

About how many outbound minutes do you actually use (or plan to use)? You may find a pay-per-minute plan that on average costs you less, and comes without the ToS restrictions that all "unlimited" plans have.

G Hobart

@optonline.net
reply to Will Hill
said by Will Hill:

Do any of the better (reliable) VoIP providers discussed here offer unlimited domestic (or even just "local") service for not exceeding $15 a month?

Most providers don't distinguish between local and long distance anymore, VoicePulse and Broadvoice being the main exceptions.

With CallCentric you could do:

NorthAm 500 (500 outbound minutes, 911 included) 6.95
Personal Unlimited (Uncapped inbound residential) 5.95
Total 12.90, no extra fees unless you live in NY State

NorthAm 1000 (1000 outbound minutes, 911 included) 12.95
Personal Unlimited (Uncapped inbound residential) 5.95
Total 18.90, no extra fees unless you live in NY State

»www.callcentric.com/products/

Subtract 3.00 from either of the above combinations if you choose to use a Dirt Cheap DID for your inbound.
»www.callcentric.com/dids/phone_n ··· ber_sale

OR: Subtract 5.95 from either of the above combinations if you use a Free DID for your inbound (NY area numbers).
»www.callcentric.com/dids/free_ph ··· e_number

(Again, the 911 cost is included with the Outbound plans).

Will Hill

join:2009-06-07
I probably use 1,500 outbound minutes per month (95+% local). I also need to port in an existing number, so the cheap DIDs programs aren't relevant. Tax above $15 is acceptable if it doesn't exceed $2 (total). The service is in New York.

How do VOIPo, Future-9, PhonePower, Broadvoice, CallCentric and any others compare quality wise (and price wise)?

ajhaji
Premium
join:2002-03-02
North York, ON
Check out Anveo. You can get unlimited incoming for $2 month, plus $0.005 per minute outgoing calls. So with 1,500 outgoing minutes per month, you're looking at $10.30, including 911 fee.

NoHereNoMo

join:2012-12-06
reply to Will Hill
I know from my own experience that Callcentric is good and reliable. From what I've read--here mostly, so is Anveo; I just started trying them out (not to replace Callcentric, but Anveo does some other useful stuff). I'd say pick whichever of the plans from either that you like and go with it. But, also get an OBi device and set it up with Google Voice, which I've also found to be quite reliable and with very good call quality (99+% of the time) for quite a few years now. Good and cheap + good and free... can't beat it.
--
"Face piles of trials with smiles; it riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave."

DaveSin

join:2009-07-17
^ +1

sofakng3

join:2007-08-25
Kingston, PA
reply to ajhaji
Are you referring to Canadian rates? ($0.005/minute) ...because United States is double that ($0.01/minute).

ajhaji
Premium
join:2002-03-02
North York, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Hi-Speed
·Bell Fibe
·AEI Internet
·Anveo
·voip.ms
said by sofakng3:

Are you referring to Canadian rates? ($0.005/minute) ...because United States is double that ($0.01/minute).

Oh, whoops. I thought $0.005/minute was the North America rate. I guess it's just Canada.

Stewart

join:2005-07-13
kudos:29
reply to Will Hill
said by Will Hill:

I probably use 1,500 outbound minutes per month (95+% local). I also need to port in an existing number ...

With usage that high (including incoming, you're likely usually over 2000), you probably shouldn't consider anything that doesn't offer at least two channels, so you can make or receive a call while your wife or other family member is on the phone.

VOIPo and Phonepower both include a 'cloned line' feature that does just that. IMO, you should consider VOIPo's prepay option; you'll get 24 months for $185, including all fees and taxes. If it doesn't work out, their guarantee offers a full refund for cancellation within 30 days. (You should test thoroughly during the first week, so you'll have time to port out within the 30 day limit.)

If you want something more DIY, I agree with NoHereNoMo See Profile and DaveSin See Profile on a combination of Anveo and Google Voice, served by an OBi202. There are two general approaches, GV as your main number, which I don't really recommend but am including because of its low cost, and Anveo as your main number.

To port your existing landline (or other VoIP) to GV, you have to port to e.g. a prepaid mobile first, so there is some hassle and one-time cost. You would use Anveo only for E911 ($0.80/mo.) and as an outbound backup. Your inbound backup is forwarding GV to your mobile. Though there have been problems with GV access by VoIP, their forwarding to landline or mobile is very reliable.

With Anveo as your main number ($2/mo. for unlimited incoming; pay one year up front and get free porting), outbound calls are $0.01/min. However, you can also call out on GV, at no charge, but the caller ID will be your GV number. I'm assuming that most of your outbound minutes are to a few good friends or relatives; they know you well and the wrong caller ID won't be a problem on those calls. You'd set up the OBi to send normally dialed calls on Anveo, but program speed dials for the frequently-called numbers, which route via GV. If, say, 80% of your outbound minutes are to those numbers, you'll have only 300 minutes left on Anveo and your total bill will be ~$5.80/mo. You might add a third provider into the mix for toll-free calls; there are several good free ones and you don't even have to sign up. This gets around the problem that Anveo charges for such calls and GV does not properly handle IVRs using 'early media'.