uniqs

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec to MxxCon

Premium Member

to MxxCon

Re: [OOL] is punishing encrypted YouTube straems at prime time?

and what do you know: »Why Is Everyone Having YouTube Streaming Issues? [149] comments

I was slowly making a note of all the YouTube issue topics on this site in each of the ISP related forums to provide in this thread, but I think this news story pretty much sums things up.
comp
Premium Member
join:2001-08-16
Evans City, PA
·Armstrong

comp

Premium Member

said by swintec:

and what do you know: »Why Is Everyone Having YouTube Streaming Issues? [149] comments

I was slowly making a note of all the YouTube issue topics on this site in each of the ISP related forums to provide in this thread, but I think this news story pretty much sums things up.

There were several threads from Time Warner customer and Comcast Customer less then 2 months ago. Bottom line was youtube can not keep up during anything related to a peak time.

MxxCon
join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY
ARRIS TM822
Actiontec MI424WR Rev. I

MxxCon

Click for full size
said by comp:

said by swintec:

There were several threads from Time Warner customer and Comcast Customer less then 2 months ago. Bottom line was youtube can not keep up during anything related to a peak time.

As you can see from the screenshot above, on CV it's ~3mbit, the moment I switch to my work VPN AND STILL DOWNLOAD FROM THE SAME YOUTUBE SERVER I get full 18mbit.
How is that YouTube's problem if they can transfer at full speed?!
VPN connection is encrypted, so CV can't see what's inside and can't throttle it.

Request url is »r18---sn-ab5e6nl7.c.yout ··· OMFGcata
TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA

TheWiseGuy

MVM

OK. I am assuming what you have posted so far is still the same. If it is not, correct the info that I am using that you have posted.

You say the same video with a HTTP request to the site is not throttled. Also you say there is actually no difference between the sending of the HTTP and HTTPS videos other then the request, both videos are sent in the clear. If you read the thread that swintec See Profile posted you will see that CDNs include throttling info in the URLs that fulfill the request. So the likely reason is that the CDN is adding throttling info when you send a HTTPS request.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD to comp

Premium Member

to comp
said by comp:

Bottom line was youtube can not keep up during anything related to a peak time.

its always a peak time somewhere.
AVD

AVD to MxxCon

Premium Member

to MxxCon
said by MxxCon:

AND STILL DOWNLOAD FROM THE SAME YOUTUBE SERVER

173.194.61.19 =/= 173.194.43.41

MxxCon
join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY
ARRIS TM822
Actiontec MI424WR Rev. I

MxxCon

said by AVD:

said by MxxCon:

AND STILL DOWNLOAD FROM THE SAME YOUTUBE SERVER

173.194.61.19 =/= 173.194.43.41

Wrong.
In my last post I said both times I was downloading video from r18---sn-ab5e6nl7.c.youtube.com, aka 173.194.31.87
MxxCon

MxxCon to TheWiseGuy

to TheWiseGuy
said by TheWiseGuy:

CDNs include throttling info in the URLs that fulfill the request. So the likely reason is that the CDN is adding throttling info when you send a HTTPS request.

There's no official documentation that describes what "algorithm=throttle-factor&burst=40" parameters do. Any conclusions are nothing but speculations. It might describe how much to slowdown your download. It might describe how fast to ramp up to your connections' maximum speed. It might describe how fast to download in proportions to the available capacity of a given cluster.