spc
Search similar:

uniqs

anon_anon
@comcast.net

anon_anon

Anon

Youtube throttles itself

Nowadays, youtube will give you 30 seconds of buffer at full speed, then throttle down the connection to about 1.5 times the bitrate. If you pause, youtube used to let the flash player buffer the entire clip, but that is no longer the case with some videos. They placed a limit on how much it will buffer when you pause. It's not a comcast related issue, it still does it over my hurricane electric VPN/IPV6 connection.
arahman56
join:2011-08-11
Etobicoke, ON

arahman56

From what I've heard, it's quite likely to be a config change in the actual Flash player and not Youtube- if you set the allowed data storage quota to "Unlimited", youtube will happily buffer the whole video.

quetwo
That VoIP Guy
Premium Member
join:2004-09-04
East Lansing, MI

quetwo to anon_anon

Premium Member

to anon_anon
This is actually related to the way that YouTube encodes the videos now. In order to be "HTML5" compatible, they break up the video into small chunks, and use those, instead of a large file. It used to be they could rely on the Flash Player to cache only a section of video but with the new format, they simply grab one file at a time, and don't grab the next one until you reach a certain trigger to grab it.
Anzio
join:2008-11-22

Anzio

That's not true. HTML5 streams as one big file. You can inspect the network connections while loading an HTML stream from YouTube and you'll pull a direct link to a full video.

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612 to anon_anon

MVM

to anon_anon
The throttling I believe only applies if you're watching on a lower video quality where they throttle it on the CDN-end for a lower bitrate video. HD Videos tend to saturate your entire connection. The buffering is also controlled by the Flash player, which can be manipulated using JavaScript. I use a Greasemonkey script called YousableTubeFix, for example which does just that
Anzio
join:2008-11-22

Anzio

said by Smith6612:

I use a Greasemonkey script called YousableTubeFix, for example which does just that

Clever name :P