mack1951
Universal Soldier

join:2000-04-18
Bayonne, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Cablevision Takes stand against Viacom

»www.prnewswire.com/news-releases···941.html
Wish more cable companies would have the chops to file suites like this one. Hats of to CV for standing up to the providers.
--
THE ROAD: Romans 3:23, 6:23, 5:8, 10:9

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

join:2008-05-28
Good for them.

At the end of the day, I think it will end up in the reduction of available channels (the weaker ones will be pruned), and the cost per household of the few channels that people actually want will go up.

RemyM

join:2005-02-14
Stamford, CT
kudos:1
reply to mack1951
Yet companies that were spun off by Cablevision and have the same controlling family do the same thing. MSG forces Fuse if you want MSG and MSG+ and AMC Networks force WE and IFC if you want AMC.

DownTheShore
Honoring The Captain
Premium
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ
kudos:14
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to mack1951
Pot, meet kettle.

They're not doing it for the customers - given that one of those ancillary channels is Nick Jr. They want to free up the space those stations take to probably give us more info-crap channels.

The whole point of the cable system - besides bringing TV to areas that couldn't be reached by aerials - was to provide niche/specialty programming that was ignored by the broadcast networks.
--
Patriotism is not waving a flag, it is living the ideals

I want to retire to the Isle of Sodor and ride the trains.

dtremain

join:2007-02-15
Florham Park, NJ
said by DownTheShore:

Pot, meet kettle.

They're not doing it for the customers - given that one of those ancillary channels is Nick Jr. They want to free up the space those stations take to probably give us more info-crap channels.

Exactly. The loss of Nick Jr. And Nick Toons would be a huge loss to families with kids. Why these people think that fewer channels at the same or higher cost to them is a good thing remains beyond me.

Do they think that discount chains like Sam's Club and Costco should be sued because they save you money by making you buy things in quantity?

They can go to Saks Fifth Avenue for "ala carte"

It never strikes them that people buy "dinners" in restaurants because ala carte is less food for more money.

If they lose those two channels, I'll have to look to FIOS, and I won't be alone.

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

said by dtremain:

If they lose those two channels, I'll have to look to FIOS, and I won't be alone.

Don't kid yourself. Verizon FiOS, DirecTV, Dish, and the rest of Cablevision's buddies are lying in the weeds watching this with great interest. If Cablevision manages to pull this off, it will change the entire industry. I'm still not sure if it will ultimately benefit the end user, but that's another issue.

KCrimson
Premium
join:2001-02-25
Brooklyn, NY
reply to RemyM
said by RemyM:

Yet companies that were spun off by Cablevision and have the same controlling family do the same thing. MSG forces Fuse if you want MSG and MSG+ and AMC Networks force WE and IFC if you want AMC.

Exactly! »www.nypost.com/p/news/business/n···fJU74ShM

optimumtv

@myvzw.com
I wish cv would carry CMT PURE COUNTRY

blacknoi

join:2004-11-06
Stanhope, NJ
Personally I actually watch MTV Hits, VH1 Classic and Palladia (all 3 mentioned by name in that article).

But ESPN? Please you can take that .... never watch any sports.
Expand your moderator at work

ilsno

@optonline.net
reply to blacknoi

Re: Cablevision Takes stand against Viacom

MTV Hits is the only MTV channel that still plays music.

Im sick of about 1/2 of the channels I scan playing some kind of reality TV program.

I think cable TV knows its days are numbered. In 10 years its all going to be internet accessed.

momcat1
No Relation To The Bobcat

join:2002-10-21
Wappingers Falls, NY
said by ilsno :

I think cable TV knows its days are numbered. In 10 years its all going to be internet accessed.

It should have been 10 years ago.

frdrizzt

join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY
kudos:3
There was no market 10 years ago due to relatively low broadband rates.

dm145

join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to ilsno
said by ilsno :

And they own the access to the internet so the will just keep increasing their rates to compensate!

CNiles3806

join:2003-07-08
Brooklyn, NY
reply to mack1951
Please, nothing in this from Cablevision is altruistic.

This is all rich pigs, wanting more for themselves. This is like arguing between who is right in Owners and Players in pro sports.

The last people I want doing me favors is CV, given their bill is going up again and they are adding on some sports surcharge.

As others have mentioned their rates will keep going up irrespective of what channels they carry or don't carry.

And they do the same thing as well ala Viacom as others have mentioned with MSG/Fuse, WE, AMC Channels etc.

CNiles3806

join:2003-07-08
Brooklyn, NY

2 edits

1 recommendation

reply to KCrimson
said by KCrimson:

said by RemyM:

Exactly! »www.nypost.com/p/news/business/n···fJU74ShM

Thank you very much.

LOL at the headline "MSG is no MTV in NY: Nielsen"

"Eleven of Viacoms networks do better in Gotham City households than MSG, according to Nielsen ratings for the New York area.

The MSG regional sports networks ranks 44th among NY households with a 0.18 rating — while its sibling MSG Plus rated a 0.04, according to Nielsen.

Together they cost pay-TV companies an estimated $4.50 per subscriber per month, according to SNL Kagan data for 2012.

Meanwhile, Viacoms entire 25 channels cost distributors $3.73 per month per subscriber, SNL Kagan data for 2013 show."

Ask ourselves what is Cablevision really up to here. Does this mean if successful they would lower our bill, I think we all know that answer. HELL NO!!!!!

So who are they kidding folks.

They certainly aren't the good guys about this subject.

This issue about CV and Viacom is like asking which weasel's turd smells better, they both stink.

dtremain

Florham Park, NJ
While I essentially agree with you, you have to look at the difference between MSG and the stations owned by Viacom. The issue is not what MSG's ratings are overall. The issue should be its ratings during live sporting events. You would find that that pretty well mitigates the argument made in that NY Post article. But, I definitely agree that Cablevision is not doing this for the consumer. We will only get hurt, if they are successful, by losing station choices while gaining nothing.

KCrimson
Premium
join:2001-02-25
Brooklyn, NY
said by dtremain:

The issue should be its ratings during live sporting events. You would find that that pretty well mitigates the argument made in that NY Post article.

That argument is presented in the article, and its false. The ratings are local ratings, and they include time slots that feature live local sports as well as their "filler content" that EVERY network utilizes (or sells to infomercial providers). No matter how you slice those ratings, or pare the facts, Cablevision is foisting ANOTHER of its series of red herrings into the cable broadcast arena - one that is sure to stink up the place for viewers.

dtremain

Florham Park, NJ
It's definitely bad, overall. But, if you are going to look at at station like MSG, you have to look at the live sports as a unique entity. That is when people will watch, and the sponsors know that. Nick Toons doesn't have a unique entity like that.

Parth

join:2010-08-16
Poughkeepsie, NY

1 edit
reply to mack1951
There's no incentive to lower our bills. Any money Cablevision saves by not carrying these channels will be of no benefit to us. Anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional.

I think it's great that MSOs are fighting back, but it's not for us, no matter how they try to spin it.

dtremain

Florham Park, NJ
said by Parth:

I think it's great that MSOs are fighting back, but it's not for us, no matter how they try to spin it.

Then why do you think it's great? Why is our getting less service, with fewer of the niche channels that cable was created for, for the same money, "great"? I think it would be awful.

jaa
Premium
join:2000-06-13
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Optimum Online
reply to mack1951
I'm just waiting for the day there is no "TV" - simply stream from the owner (network), or an aggregator like Netflix. Netflix will be the new company to hate because they do or don't carry a channel.

But at least there will be a choice and competition.
--
NOTHING justifies terrorism. We don't negotiate with terrorists. Those that support terrorists are terrorists.

jaa
Premium
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Optimum Online
reply to dtremain
said by dtremain:

Why is our getting less service, with fewer of the niche channels that cable was created for, for the same money, "great"?

Cable no longer needs to fill that role. Anyone that has the resources to create content can easily put up an internet channel and reach whomever is interested.
--
NOTHING justifies terrorism. We don't negotiate with terrorists. Those that support terrorists are terrorists.

dtremain

Florham Park, NJ
Jaa,

I wish I was as rich as you must be. Your vision would be pretty expensive.

I'd rather not.

jaa
Premium
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Optimum Online
Nah, dirt cheap. Cut out the middleman, gotta be cheaper. One less mouth to feed.

If you are talking about putting up an internet channel, that is dirt cheap too. Prior to cable you had to get an FCC license, specturm, and a transmitter to reach a very limited market. Now you can stream over the internet for pennies. All you need is someone interested in your content.

ilsno

@optonline.net
reply to Parth
What strikes me is when I tune to channel 907 "Most Watched", Nick Teen and Nick Junior are often two of the most watched networks in the top 25. So evidently they are desired by many of Cablevision's subscriber base despite Cablevisions proclamation.

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

reply to dtremain
said by dtremain:

It's definitely bad, overall. But, if you are going to look at at station like MSG, you have to look at the live sports as a unique entity. That is when people will watch, and the sponsors know that. Nick Toons doesn't have a unique entity like that.

This is correct. Live sports programming always commands a premium advertising rate. Ratings can sometimes be misleading when taken at face value. I'm not saying I agree with the surcharge, but if you're going to argue, use facts.

dtremain

Florham Park, NJ
reply to jaa
And, where would you get your Internet access from, Jaa?

I assume you currently get it as part of a package from Cablevision.

You would find life without packages to be quite challenging and expensive.

TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA
kudos:3
reply to Parth
said by Parth:

There's no incentive to lower our bills. Any money Cablevision saves by not carrying these channels will be of no benefit to us. Anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional.

You may be right but in today's economy and Internet environment people downgrade services and price shop more, as it becomes harder to make ends meet, especially when prices go up. Cablevision's content cost rose 12% year over year in 2012. My best guess from the 10K is that they were up $4 per sub. CV said in the earnings call they expected double digit increases this year as well on content costs. If you don't think these will be passed along to the subscriber you are more optimistic then I am about pricing. Of course this will cause some additional downgrades or even more cord cutting but CV, like any company will have to look at either absorbing the increases or increasing rates.
--
Warning, If you post nonsense and use misinformation and are here to argue based on those methods, you will be put on ignore.

jaa
Premium
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Optimum Online
reply to dtremain
said by dtremain:

And, where would you get your Internet access from, Jaa?

I assume you currently get it as part of a package from Cablevision.

You would find life without packages to be quite challenging and expensive.

From CV. $50/mo.
--