All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
DirtAddsHP55
join:2013-02-26

1 edit

DirtAddsHP55

Setting up Cordless IP phones at home, lots of questions.

Hello all,

I currently have an obi110 for my mother to use and i really love how simple it was to set up. Now i need to set up a 2nd line for myself, i could easily buy another Obi and use my POTS phones but i feel like i could do better.

I have done reading regarding setting up a Google Voice account, registering the GV account using the "simonics.com/gvgw/" site, and then needing to use a free PBX app to manage inbound and outbound calling from an IP phone?

I have read the steps but do not fully understand what each step is used for. I see alot of folk have no problem setting up outbound calling, but alot have issues with inbound calling. Maybe someone can explain what are the common issues with that?

What is the point of the PBX app? And registering the GV number on the simonics site?

I would need to decide on which cordless (not wifi) IP based phone like the Panasonic KX-TGP500, Gigaset C610A-IP, Snom M9 or some other other option?

Do i need an Asterisk app too? once again not sure how that all ties in to this setup.

I see theres alot of phones that claim to be IP based but seem that they must use Skype, MSN or some other medium, that is not what i am looking for. I want a similar set up to what the Obhai boxes do, but with higher call quality by skipping the ATA/Analog adapter route. Seems DECT helps with higher call quality.

Did i miss anything critical to getting IP based calling over a handheld telephone and faxing over that same line?

Just to go over what i am looking to do again.

1. Make calls over a cordless IP based phone.
2. Be able to fax over the same line.
3. Caller ID would be nice but not necessary.
4. Forward call to cell phone if no one picks up after certain amount of rings.
5. a system supporting 911 calls would be quite important too.

Sources:

»nerdvittles.com/?p=832

»simonics.com/gvgw/

»www.amazon.com/Panasonic ··· X-TGP500

»www.amazon.com/Solution- ··· duct_top

»www.ebay.com/itm/Snom-M9 ··· 4b278408
hardly
Premium Member
join:2004-02-10
USA

hardly

Premium Member

You may want to add to your list of questions, your requirements for 911 service for both you and your mother.

VexorgTR
join:2012-08-27
Sheffield Lake, OH

VexorgTR to DirtAddsHP55

to DirtAddsHP55

Re: Setting up Cordless IP phones at home, lots of questions.

Because you've brought Google Voice to the party, you've got a WAY bigger challenge.

GV isn't a typical SIP service... Nor is Skype.....

Typical SIP services that get mentioned here lots are CallCentric, Anveo, voip.ms, CallWithUs...... it's a looong list.

IF Google voice were not invited to this party and you were going to just want 2 SIP accounts in cordless phones, We could bring in a Grandstream Dect 715/710 Rig. HOWEVER.....

We've got Fax (Analog... needs and ATA) and We've Got GoogleVoice...

So... The path of least resistance is to get another OBI and some 2 line analog Dect phones.

HOWEVER.... if you REALLY wanted to use a PBX and Voip phones, you'd need to use something like PIAF's Incredible setup for GV, your OBI would become an extension for your fax, and then you could setup the Grandstream cordless phones to the PBX.

It's not going to be pretty........

Trimline
Premium Member
join:2004-10-24
Windermere, FL

Trimline to DirtAddsHP55

Premium Member

to DirtAddsHP55
I would keep it simple to start using something like the Panasonic KX-TGP550. These SIP phones will directly connect to your provider.

Theoretically, you could define a GV account (see simonics ata setup) as they work very much the same.

I would recommend you go with a provider, as mentioned above, that has all the bells and whistles you are looking for (voicemail, 911, etc..) These providers do not charge a lot of money and will give you the freedom to explore more...
Dan_voip
join:2007-01-03
Saint-Hubert, QC

Dan_voip

For GV you don't need Simonics and a PBX(like Asterisk), you need one or the other.
For Panasonic add on your list KX-TGP551 which is the same thing with KX-TGP550 with a newer firmware. I would highly recommend Panasonic as a very good IP phone, I have KX-TGP551.
DirtAddsHP55

2 edits

DirtAddsHP55

Hardly: yes that is also on my list, i believe that is a paid service that i need to sync with the Obi box. Are there any free 911 services?

VexorgTR: Ah yeah from what ive read GV is quite limited to the flexibility and features vs paid services. I understand there are alot of Premium SIP services out there but i am looking for a free service, i have not come across any setups without using GV that would be completely free. I understand "i get what i pay for" but i want to see if i can pull it out though a free service, and maybe if it isnt cutting it i can go for a premium service.

Regarding the Grandstream phones it seems i need to build an infrastructure behind the phone with alot of layers for connectivity. By buying a Gigaset or Panasonic would there be a more simple setup or should i expect the same amount of backend infrastructure that i would need to build? Didnt think of fax being analog, good point! I take it i would need an e-fax service or some IP based fax hardware... OR as you stated buy another Obi.

Trimline: Are any of the providers free? I need to look up supported providers i take it. Wouldnt voicemail work though the Panasonic or Gigaset hardware? Or do i need to dial out to a voicemail box like a cell phone does? You have good points on paid providers, i am looking to be froogle and find a free service and see if it can work for me. If not i will have to end up paying...

Dan_voip: How is the Simonics site and a software based PBX different? thank you for the tip on the firmware model change. Though on the Panasonic site it seems they are pushing the 551 for their Panasoniccloud service. Can you use a 3rd party SIP service on that model? It seems the 550 is being sold as for use with open source. Also what is the deal with voicemail, i do not see it specified on the Panasonic site.

EDIT: I looked up the KX-TGP551 on amazon and a review specified you can use other SIP services besides the Panasonic Cloud Service.

" 13 of 14 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Works with Asterisk, December 11, 2011
By
ScottishColin
This review is from: Panasonic Cloud Business Phone System, KX-TGP551T04, Black, 1 Handset (VoIP/ SIP) (Office Product)
I purchased this in the hope that other reviews were correct in that it's not actually tied to Panasonic's service despite the box indicating "Functions only with Panasonic Cloud Service", and thankfully it was true!

The web interface allows configuration of up to eight SIP accounts. In addition to this, each of the six DECT handsets supported and the base unit can be assigned to these eight accounts, so it's possible to map each handset to one SIP account and still have one left over.

Other features include NTP support (actually enabled by default) and the ability to backup and restore each handsets' phonebook to a text file, which is pretty handy too. Even the "voice mail" light will function correctly using Asterisk's "mailbox" keyword.

All in all, a bargain for the functionality you get! "

Trimline
Premium Member
Windermere, FL

Trimline to DirtAddsHP55

Premium Member

to DirtAddsHP55
Click for full size
Panasonic Settings
Regarding GV and the Panasonic, I was curious to see if it would work. The good news is that it does work perfectly. Here is what my line setup looks like.
mikev
Premium Member
join:2002-05-04
Leesburg, VA
·Verizon FiOS
(Software) pfSense
Panasonic KX-TGP600

mikev to DirtAddsHP55

Premium Member

to DirtAddsHP55
said by DirtAddsHP55:

Also what is the deal with voicemail, i do not see it specified on the Panasonic site.

Voicemail is handled by your VoIP provider (or if you set up a software PBX, it would be stored on that). The phone itself does not have any kind of answering machine or voicemail built into it.

I can't speak to how this would work with Google Voice/Simonics, as I don't use GV for my phone.

Zipporah
@optonline.net

Zipporah to DirtAddsHP55

Anon

to DirtAddsHP55
said by DirtAddsHP55:

EDIT: I looked up the KX-TGP551 on amazon and a review specified you can use other SIP services besides the Panasonic Cloud Service.

This has previously been explained here. You MUST turn off [provisioning] as part of the conversion process, otherwise Panasonic Cloud may try to reclaim the phone for their service.

»Re: Panasonic KX-TGP551T04

Note that there used to be a big price advantage in buying the 551 (customized for Panasonic Cloud Service) as opposed to buying the 550 (not customized), but I don't think that price differential really applies anymore.

---------------------

No one is going to give you 911 for free.

Providers have to pay companies like Intrado/Dash to handle 911 maintenance.

You can get 911 from CallCentric for 1.50 a month and 1.50 initial setup. You'd need to also sign up for their PAYG outbound service but if you make no outbound calls, that won't cost anything extra. You do not need to obtain an inbound number (DID).

You can also get 911 from Voip.MS but they have a higher minimum deposit and they do require you to pay for a DID if you want 911.

You can get 911 from Anveo too. Price is less but complexity is more.

You can get 911 from Trev's company too, he is well known in these forums:
»www.digitalcon.ca/voip9- ··· ome.html
tbrummell2
join:2002-02-09
Ottawa, ON

tbrummell2 to VexorgTR

to VexorgTR
said by VexorgTR:

Because you've brought Google Voice to the party, you've got a WAY bigger challenge.

GV isn't a typical SIP service... Nor is Skype.....

Typical SIP services that get mentioned here lots are CallCentric, Anveo, voip.ms, CallWithUs...... it's a looong list.

IF Google voice were not invited to this party and you were going to just want 2 SIP accounts in cordless phones, We could bring in a Grandstream Dect 715/710 Rig. HOWEVER.....

We've got Fax (Analog... needs and ATA) and We've Got GoogleVoice...

So... The path of least resistance is to get another OBI and some 2 line analog Dect phones.

HOWEVER.... if you REALLY wanted to use a PBX and Voip phones, you'd need to use something like PIAF's Incredible setup for GV, your OBI would become an extension for your fax, and then you could setup the Grandstream cordless phones to the PBX.

It's not going to be pretty........

Or use IncredibleFax on your PIAF and use the built in fax software.
DirtAddsHP55

DirtAddsHP55 to Trimline

to Trimline
Ah wow, and with your set up you do not need a PBX right?

Just a SIP provider?

Trimline
Premium Member
Windermere, FL

Trimline

Premium Member

said by DirtAddsHP55:

Ah wow, and with your set up you do not need a PBX right?

Just a SIP provider?

Just to clarify. This is a setup for a Google Voice number using Bill Simons Google Voice Gateway located at »simonics.com/gvgw/ .

So, we have (no pbx),

Panasonic --> Simonics (Google Phone) --> Outside world.

Think of simonics.com as your SIP provider. Google Voice will take your voicemail as well.

Just remember, if you do use this, make a donation so that the lights stay on....
DirtAddsHP55

DirtAddsHP55

Understood, Simon really has a great tool there if it works without issue i will donate. Also thank you for testing it on your Panasonic phone! Have you had a chance to test inbound calling using Simonics with GV? How is the quality, do you know if it uses G.722 audio codec? I see in the phone specs it supports it, i am curious if your Panasonic setup with GV can support a HD audio codec like G.722

Trimline
Premium Member
Windermere, FL

Trimline

Premium Member

said by DirtAddsHP55:

Understood, Simon really has a great tool there if it works without issue i will donate. Also thank you for testing it on your Panasonic phone! Have you had a chance to test inbound calling using Simonics with GV? How is the quality, do you know if it uses G.722 audio codec? I see in the phone specs it supports it, i am curious if your Panasonic setup with GV can support a HD audio codec like G.722

I don't have any call issues using Simonics, inbound or outbound. Mine is currently connected to an Asterisk system.

Yes, G722 is supported via Simonics. I just verified by calling my HD conference line at »www.freeconferencecallhd.com/ using my SNOM 821 as it displays the codec in use on the display.
DirtAddsHP55

DirtAddsHP55

I thought you said in a previous post you do not use a PBX, wouldnt an Asterisk box be considered one?

For your KX-TGP551T04, have you been using a different SIP provider or been using Google Voice? I noticed you said you tested the config with Simonics but did not see if you listed your primary SIP Provider.

Also how would one listen to their Google Voicemails? Besides going on a computer and going to the google voice site?

Also In the Panasonic web interface do you have an option to forward a call to another number after a certain amount of rings or some other specification?

Trimline
Premium Member
Windermere, FL

Trimline

Premium Member

said by DirtAddsHP55:

I thought you said in a previous post you do not use a PBX, wouldnt an Asterisk box be considered one?

I did not use my PBX for the test, I was curious myself if I could make it work.

On the Simonics website, you can access your voicemail by dialing 1186.

SNIP
How do I check my voicemail or get to the Google Voice menu?

Dial 1186.
END SNIP

Full details here (bottom of page):

»simonics.com/gvgw/
DirtAddsHP55

DirtAddsHP55

Found my answer regarding call forwarding from the admin guide.

"No Answer (Enable Call Forward)
Description
Selects whether to forward incoming calls to a specified destination
when a call is not answered after it has rung a specified number of
times.
Note

If Do Not Disturb has been enabled on the server, the server
rejects incoming calls and the unit does not receive any calls,
even if you have selected
[Yes]
for this setting.

If you have selected
[Yes]
for this setting and Call Forward has
been enabled on the server, but the forwarding destinations
differ, incoming calls are forwarded to the destination set on the
server.

If
Call Forward has been enabled on the server, incoming calls
are forwarded to the destination set on the server, even if you
have selected
[No]
for this setting.

You can synchronize the Do Not Disturb and Call Forward from
the Web user interface (
®
see
[Synchronize Do Not Disturb
and Call Forward]
in
3.7.3.1 Call Control
) or through
configuration file programming (
®
see
"
SYNCHRONIZATION_ENABLE_[1–8]
" in
4.7.1 Call Control
Settings
).

If you change this setting when
[
Synchronize Do Not Disturb
and Call Forward]
is set to
[Yes]
, the change to this setting is
not immediately applied on this screen. In this case, reload the
screen to confirm that the change is applied."

VexorgTR
Sheffield Lake, OH

VexorgTR to DirtAddsHP55

to DirtAddsHP55
FYI, the GrandStream 715's CAN be setup to link up directly with the VoIP provider, OR to a PBX. I usually link them to PBX's, since I do lots of 3CX stuff. But it's no worse to set up than any other IP phone, and you're not limited to provider choices.
DirtAddsHP55

DirtAddsHP55

it appears the GrandStream 715 dosnt support the G.722 codec, also i like the idea of the web interface on the Panasonics.

Would i benefit from going though an Asterisk box? (VM on my main machine).

I believe that allows caller ID lookup. For phone delegation when you do not have a web interface for the phones.

VexorgTR
Sheffield Lake, OH

VexorgTR

Grandstream has a web interface....... the 722 codec isn't heavily supported by providers just yet. It may show up in a later firmware.

The new Cordless sets from Yealink are the most impressive to date.
DirtAddsHP55

DirtAddsHP55

Do you think the 722 will be the main HD codec for awhile?

Ah nice Yealink is POE
DirtAddsHP55

4 edits

DirtAddsHP55

I have gone with the TGP-551, inputted my GV credientals in Simonics. And mirrored settings for web interface from the screenshot from Trimline minus different server address, auth id and password.

1. When i try to call out it rings but when someone picks up or the voicemail kicks in i get a busy signal. I tried calling a friend and they reported that they got ringed but when answered no sound. And i get once again a busy signal. I also tried dialing 1186 but does the same thing, in this case one ring then busy signal.

2. inbound calls seem to work with good quality for about two minutes and then drop, then when caller tries calling back they report it ringings and goes to voicemail but never rings on the 551. Seems refreshing the settings "Keep Alive Interval" fixes it but then stops working again next time call drops. I have tried this 3 times and at the 2:00 mark the call drops... every time

Is this because i have not set up a SIP Trunk? Do i need to set up FreePBX or FreeSwitch or Asterisk on a VM on a computer that is constantly on?
DirtAddsHP55

DirtAddsHP55

Tried posting my issue on PBX in a Flash Forum (PIAF) but seems theres a wait period before i can post.
DirtAddsHP55

DirtAddsHP55

Okay i think i found the problem, during the initial setup i specified to use TCP for the Transport Protocol. I changed it to UDP, reboot the phone and now i can make outbound calls without issue and inbound calls last more than 2 minutes... 4 minutes is as long as a call ive had at the moment.

After doing further reading UDP is suggested for calls, as error correction would drop the quality of the call.

next, getting the voicemail light to come on when a voicemail is present.
DirtAddsHP55

DirtAddsHP55

also it seems call forwarding does not work.
SCADAGeo
Premium Member
join:2012-11-08
N California

SCADAGeo to DirtAddsHP55

Premium Member

to DirtAddsHP55
said by DirtAddsHP55:

Tried posting my issue on PBX in a Flash Forum (PIAF) but seems theres a wait period before i can post.

said by DirtAddsHP55:

Okay i think i found the problem, during the initial setup i specified to use TCP for the Transport Protocol. I changed it to UDP, reboot the phone and now i can make outbound calls without issue and inbound calls last more than 2 minutes... 4 minutes is as long as a call ive had at the moment.

After doing further reading UDP is suggested for calls, as error correction would drop the quality of the call.

next, getting the voicemail light to come on when a voicemail is present.

said by DirtAddsHP55:

also it seems call forwarding does not work.

You may receive a quicker response if you were to start a new topic about asterisk (PiaF distro), with the current status of your project (what's working, and what isn't).
DirtAddsHP55

DirtAddsHP55

good point... i was thinking of starting a project thread but never got to it... i really should as it seems no one else has this free VOIP setup.