spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

puppy

join:2010-01-28

Anyone play Champions online?

My coworker/friend is a big gamer as well and he says he's currently focused on Champions online, so I took a look at the wiki. Seems interesting. Anyone play this?

footballdude
Premium
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO

I played it for awhile but grew tired of it after a few months. DC Universe Online is more fun, though you have fewer options in creating a character.
--
Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty - Ronald Reagan

Phantasee

join:2009-08-27
Hammond, LA
reply to puppy

I did for a bit. I like the comic look. Game play was better than CoH IMO. Just got old fast due to lack of players. If the game feels dead I usually abandon ship.

Zupe
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-29
New York, NY
reply to puppy

I played it for a few months right after it came out. The character creation is very good, but it gets very repetitive after a while, or at least did back when I played it.

I also felt like they overdid it with the "create anything you want" skill selection, as (at least at the time) it was so open, that you could cherry pick all of the best talents, and felt kind of underpowered if you didn't. I started out with an idea for an ice/frost character, but ended up adding electrical and force powers that didn't really fit the theme I had in mind because they were so much stronger than what was available in frost, and there were no real prerequisites or bonuses to make staying in one power set beneficial. I think they've changed it to now use some form of archetype system since it went free to play, so I don't know if that's still applicable.

Their balancing methods were also very harsh, as they took some powers that were really good, and made them completely useless, rather than trying to just tone them down. I remember one frost power that was normally ranged, where a skill made it so that you had to instead be in melee range, but it then did extra damage. The extra damage was way too high (partly because it was bugged to apply multiple times), but instead of just lowering it to a reasonable level, they effectively made it worse than the normal ranged version, meaning there was no reason to take the skill.
--
Brain: Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?
Pinky: I think so, Brain, but "Snowball for Windows"?

TheThing

join:2012-08-10
kudos:1
reply to puppy

DC Universe Online is superior to Champions online IMO.

You owe it to yourself to try DCUO before you sink any considerable time into Champions online.

the story in DCUO is excellent, and the voice acting is A+... mark hammill, kevin conroy, etc...

I still itch from time to time to get back into DCUO, Gotham is so awesome

Phantasee

Hammond, LA
reply to Zupe

Yea. You can REALLY eff yourself in the a with powers. I mean, REALLLLLY effed. SO bad that you can't even kill a couple normal mobs at the same time. It seemed you had to go cookie cutter back in day. Not sure if it still like that.

Phantasee

Hammond, LA
reply to puppy

I cannot believe I even forgot why I left this game. Thanks for reminding me. Power builds I "liked" sucked.

atuarre
Here come the drums
Premium
join:2004-02-14
Conroe, TX
reply to TheThing

said by TheThing:

DC Universe Online is superior to Champions online IMO.

You owe it to yourself to try DCUO before you sink any considerable time into Champions online.

the story in DCUO is excellent, and the voice acting is A+... mark hammill, kevin conroy, etc...

I still itch from time to time to get back into DCUO, Gotham is so awesome

The powers in DCUO are a joke though...