All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Wilsdom
join:2009-08-06

Wilsdom

Money

How much are they getting paid to vertically integrate with a price-fixing cartel?

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

said by Wilsdom:

How much are they getting paid to vertically integrate with a price-fixing cartel?

The ISPs made a deal with the RIAA & MPAA to do this in order to head off legislation by Congress that would have forced the ISPs to do the monitoring themselves and kick users off the system. In other words they were blackmailed in to this.
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco

Premium Member

Indeed, it seems they were. But it remains to be seen what the remaining ISPs will do.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
Netgear WNDR3700v2
Zoom 5341J

2 recommendations

KrK

Premium Member

It's like all the other copyright legislation and "Homeland security" laws.

It only STARTS here. The law will now expand frequently, becoming more expansive, with greater monitoring and more severe responses, until it is incredibly draconian in every respect. If you doubt me, just look at the last 20 years of copyright laws. When has the RIAA, MIAA, etc ever been satisfied? Once they pass one law, then it gets expanded, extended, and more invasive every 3 or 4 years.

Simply put: "The Funnin' is just begunnin'"
gtharby
join:2012-11-19

gtharby to FFH5

to FFH5
said by FFH5:

said by Wilsdom:

The ISPs made a deal with the RIAA & MPAA to do this in order to head off legislation by Congress that would have forced the ISPs to do the monitoring themselves and kick users off the system. In other words they were blackmailed in to this.

But then a funny thing happened between the time the deal was originally being made and today, SOPA/PIPA lost badly because of public support, and the leverage of congress would force regulation if they didn't come to an agreement vanished, because it is now viewed as political suicide to try and pass a law of this nature.
SunnyD
join:2009-03-20
Madison, AL

SunnyD to Wilsdom

to Wilsdom
You have to remember, in the case of Comcrap... they ARE the price-fixing cartel now (aka: NBC, aka: MPAA - essentially).
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

1 recommendation

Kearnstd to KrK

Premium Member

to KrK
Copyright laws need to be eliminated and rebuilt. Back into a system that supports the artists and not the corporate machine. Same thing with patents, Kill them and rebuild the system into something that pushes innovation forward and not just used as a litigation tool.

Both are good things but both have been corrupted by conglomerates and no longer really reflect the original intentions of their own invention.

Copyright was supposed to give a limited time exclusive rights to one's work... I would hardly call life+75yrs a limited time.
pandora
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Outland

pandora to KrK

Premium Member

to KrK
said by KrK:

It only STARTS here.

*** redacted ***

This is a continuation of the liberties lost when Homeland security was created. The Center for Copyright Information (CCI) website is here - »www.copyrightinformation ··· ces-faq/ on this page you can read the ISP / content owner memorandums of understanding.

Essentially, the RIAA and MPAA will have copyrighted content delivered to the copyright information designee (auditors?) by content owners or designees, who wish their intellectual property protected.

The Copyright Information Center will have P2P servers that participate in file sharing. The sharing will work, but while sharing, software will determine what file is being share (if the file has a copyright owner that has asked for protection of digital material with the Copyright Information Center).

When the CCI (Copyright Information Centers) proxy determines a P2P file is violating a copyright, it will flag the time and IP address of the offending download and source (if upload). Monthly a report of infringed copyrights, IP addresses and times will be delivered to ISP's who will forward the alleged violations to their respective customers.

The goal seems to be to educate, attempt remediation, and later to seek punishment.

I'm not a fan of spying, but P2P is inherently shared by users. I can't see how any decision to use a P2P service that may search for violations of copyright is illegal. It doesn't seem that the CCI is spying, it's just part of the P2P network, but is taking notes about who is sharing what, where, when and what IP address.

The methodology is discussed a bit here - »www.copyrightinformation ··· cted.pdf

An unmodified copy of the memorandum of understanding is here - »www.copyrightinformation ··· ding.pdf

There appear to be 2 updates to the agreement which are here »www.copyrightinformation ··· ment.pdf and here »www.copyrightinformation ··· ment.pdf

FFH5
Premium Member
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to Kearnstd

Premium Member

to Kearnstd
said by Kearnstd:

Copyright was supposed to give a limited time exclusive rights to one's work... I would hardly call life+75yrs a limited time.

+1

DataRiker
Premium Member
join:2002-05-19

DataRiker

Premium Member

I love draconian copyright laws.

They ensure easy access to a huge black market.

Much the same way the war on drugs has ensured I have better and cheaper access to marijuana than legal drugs.

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium Member
join:2005-12-15
Forest Grove, OR

NOYB to Kearnstd

Premium Member

to Kearnstd

Not to mention... what is life+75yrs for a company / corporation? Forever?
NOYB

NOYB to pandora

Premium Member

to pandora

But if they themselves are participating in the sharing (providing freely to the public), how can they then turn around and claim infringement. Please keep in mind this is not a law enforcement / government sanctioned sting operation which is most cases would have to be targeted at someone / entity known to be breaking the law. For the purpose of catching them specifically and collecting evidence.

FFH5
Premium Member
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

said by NOYB:

But if they themselves are participating in the sharing (providing freely to the public), how can they then turn around and claim infringement. Please keep in mind this is not a law enforcement / government sanctioned sting operation which is most cases would have to be targeted at someone / entity known to be breaking the law. For the purpose of catching them specifically and collecting evidence.

They can monitor w/o sharing.

pende_tim
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Selbyville, DE

pende_tim to pandora

Premium Member

to pandora
said by pandora:

said by KrK:

It only STARTS here.

*** redacted ***

The Copyright Information Center will have P2P servers that participate in file sharing. The sharing will work, but while sharing, software will determine what file is being share (if the file has a copyright owner that has asked for protection of digital material with the Copyright Information Center).

So the CIC will have P2P servers offering copyrighted content??? And then "take" names so the ISPs can "kick ass"?

This sounds like trolling to me. Put out the bait and then reel in the fish.

Yea, no different than when cops go undercover to snag hookers but still not right.
pandora
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Outland

pandora to NOYB

Premium Member

to NOYB
said by NOYB:

I guess they own it. If caught you can try to fight them with your claim. Personally, my belief is P2P will become more dangerous over time. A secure connection to a download site may be safer where there are no unknown third parties.

The legality of the entire scheme is beyond my understanding, though the concept is technically a bit interesting.
pandora

pandora to pende_tim

Premium Member

to pende_tim
said by pende_tim:

So the CIC will have P2P servers offering copyrighted content??? And then "take" names so the ISPs can "kick ass"?

This sounds like trolling to me. Put out the bait and then reel in the fish.

Yea, no different than when cops go undercover to snag hookers but still not right.

It may be. Guess the EFF and some brave soul will have to litigate and have a court decide the legality of their intended attempt to thwart illegal file sharing.

My goal was to provide links to the website and documents that were touched on by some articles.

PaulHikeS2
join:2003-03-06
Fitchburg, MA

PaulHikeS2 to SunnyD

to SunnyD
Who is Comcrap?
dfxmatt
join:2007-08-21
Crystal Lake, IL

dfxmatt to Wilsdom

to Wilsdom
just wait for the antitrust lawsuits, they will be a-coming.