All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
veesubotee2
join:2013-02-25

veesubotee2

[FiOS Phone] New to fiber optic--Windows fax fails

My POTS line was converted to Fiber Optic. Still getting internet and TV from Comcast.

Tried to use windows fax and problem is that after the second digit is dialed, there is a background busy signal while the rest of the number is dialed. All attempts end in failure.

Tried the following: lowered modem speed to minimum; added pauses (,) between digits; tried using area code with number. Problem still exists. Anyone loose ability to fax from computer with fax modem?

While I have your attention, as a prelude to possibly switching to FIOS down the road, is it true that with digital voice you must dial the area code with ALL calls? Can one get FIOS phone without digital voice? I'm assuming I don't have DV since I don't have a VZ IP.

Thanks.

V

Mahalo
join:2000-12-20
united state

Mahalo

You must use 10 digits, even local.

Try the init string in this thread: »More than one DV phone line per ONT?
veesubotee2
join:2013-02-25

veesubotee2

I only have to use 10 digits for out-of-area-code calls. I tried using 10 digits; same results: BAD

mking128
join:2005-08-10
Whitestone, NY

mking128

Fios DV works fine for me for voice & fax out of the home office, with a single paired wiring (check it for reveresed polarity ??) - old DSL filter removed (unlikely to be the source of your problem) Tried a different RJ-11 cord with 2 wired pairs ?? Temporary disconnect other devices on other outlets while testing.

Assumed that this fax modem was working fine before on analog signal, does it work on incoming fax calling - try to have someone dial your # with it enabled for auto-answering mode.

Reference the good old Hayes "AT" command set - »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ha ··· mand_set - you can take a look at its status after running "ATZ" with "ATV"

If this is on a desktop PC, try swapping out to a different fax modem from an older PC since newer builds no longer bothered with it, plenty of cheap & good ones on eBay.

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to veesubotee2

MVM

to veesubotee2
said by veesubotee2:

Tried to use windows fax and problem is that after the second digit is dialed, there is a background busy signal while the rest of the number is dialed.

Can you dial the same number from a regular phone and get a fax answer tone from the other side? If so, the problem is not FIOS, but your fax modem and/or software.