how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Scott Heath

join:2005-07-25
Denver, CO

[Qwest] two line monitors needed?

I couldn't find this in the FAQ, but maybe I didn't use the right search terms.

Anyway, I noticed that the first line monitor I set up was reporting 100% packet loss when I could plainly get my email or reload my websites. I thought the DNS #2 shown on my router's status report might be serving as a backup, so I created a second monitor with the DNS#2 IP.

Sure enough, when one line shows 100% packet loss, the other shows an active connection. I'll continue to look through the Line Monitor FAQ, but can anyone tell me if I'm on the right track? Does this mean I'm dealing with 'dynamic DNS'? Is there a simpler way to monitor such a connection?

Hazy Arc

join:2006-04-10
Greenwood, SC
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
·Embarq Now Centu..

If I am understanding your post correctly, it appears that you registered your line monitor to keep tabs on your DNS server, which isn't the intention of the line monitor. As it stands now, you're measuring the uptime of your ISP's DNS servers, not your home connection. You need to find out your public IP address (»www.whatismyip.org can tell you) and monitor using that address.

That being said, it's likely that you are on DHCP, so your IP address may change periodically. If that's the case, you can sign up for a Dynamic DNS service instead.

Scott Heath

join:2005-07-25
Denver, CO

Thanks. Just what I was afraid of: I was making up an explanation of my monitor graph that had no relation to reality (classic definition of a superstition). I think I'll deactivate those monitors and start over.