Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Mephisto13

join:2008-05-16
Gatineau, QC

Download Speed Bursts

Got a question...

I'm currently playing Path of Exile on my Teksavvy 5Mb DSL connection and I've noticed that when I download a patch, the speed will sometimes hit 4-5Mb per second rather than the regular 650Kps that I normally get. I thought it could be that the program miscalculates the rates but the last time it happened I also noticed that (for a 450Mb patch) it started out slowly, as per normal...and then Zoom zoom zoom!!! It completed in under 1 minute (after watching it run for over 2 min at slower speeds).

It varies, but it's not a permanent speed boost. I'll reach 5Mb for 3-4 seconds, then it'll drop to 2Mb for a few seconds, then up to 3Mb again, then back to normal, then up again...and the status bar moves much faster at the higher speeds so I'm assuming I'm downloading really quickly!

I don't get this speed bump with any other program, so I'm wondering what makes PoE so special? Why does my connection do this?

I often check with Teksavvy to increase my speed but the site says it's not available in my area (in Gatineau, QC around the 50/Montee Paiement area). Even Bhell's site mentions that I can't get higher speeds in my area. But I've felt the tingly sensations that comes with a very fast internet connection...and I want more!
--
"With your shield or on it!" - spartan code

"No matter where you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Bonzai

Jack17

join:2008-08-25
Sherbrooke, QC

It's the ptogram i go up to 10 Mb sometimes i got a 7 megs connections the program STEAM had the same problem but they fix it...

Mephisto13

Gatineau, QC

It's not a real "problem" for me, and I'm glad I'm not the only one. I hope they don't "fix" it.

Thanks!

kovy

join:2009-03-26
kudos:8

said by Mephisto13:

It's not a real "problem" for me, and I'm glad I'm not the only one. I hope they don't "fix" it.

Thanks!

I'm pretty sure it's a false reading lol... you should get a real program for monitoring data and you'll see there's no data burst.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
reply to Mephisto13

DSL does not have burst capability like Cable does. Its likely just an error in the software calculating the speed.
--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!

Mephisto13

Gatineau, QC
reply to Mephisto13

Ignorance is bliss! :P

Let me bask in the feeling that we might actually have decent internet in Canada. Even though it's a lie, I'll take it!

Cloneman

join:2002-08-29
Montreal
kudos:3
reply to Mephisto13

I remember there was this weird linux ISO FTP posted on dslreports that provided erroneous readings when you downloaded it, twice the speed it was going... maybe you're seeing something like that